Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2008, 5:30 am

I was just watching house, MD, and he definately made an allusion to NT. It was in the episode with the autistic kid.

It went too quickly for me to remember it, but it was something about skinny rich white people have the luxury of drawing a circle in the sand, and everyone in it is normal. Everyone outside of it should be beaten, retrained or intitutionalized. (He was being sarcastic)

To me that says that one of the writers is indirectly refering to the mindset of many neuro-typicals and that its harmful.

Later on he harangued about parents expecting every kid to be perfect, then said his parents loved him unconditionally.

Hes a fictional Character. I am not going to insinuate that hes autistic/aspergerian. I am merely saying that writers can have an agenda, and they often express it in fiction.

Last edited by Fuzzy on 12 Sep 2008, 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

tomamil
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2008, 5:41 am

what episode was it?

i think that the most important thing is the fact that it's getting better. first, there is a research about the things outside of the circle, and once scientists understand them, they will be able to explain it to the society.

it's a process and although it's not completed yet, we are in much better stage than in the past. people outside the circle used to be the objects of witch hunts before :)

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2008, 5:44 am

tomamil wrote:
what episode was it?

An episode with a little autistic boy.

House was also fighting with cuddy about getting his old rug reinstalled.

As well, in the plot a stalker/young woman was attempting to sleep with him.

What more can I tell ya?

tomamil
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2008, 5:45 am

Fuzzy wrote:
tomamil wrote:
what episode was it?

What more can I tell ya?

the number of the episode, or the title?

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2008, 6:00 am

tomamil wrote:

I dont know?

Ok. just saw the ending. The oncologist Wilson read part of the description of aspergers to Cuddy, and insinuated that it fit house(his dislike of change prompted the carpet issue). Cuddy denied, but the episode ended with a scene where the autistic kid gives house a prized hand held video game unit. The kid then manages to make and hold eye contact with House.

A very strong message that the writers imply that house IS an aspie.

[edit] its episode 50 (3-04) "Lines in the Sand"

Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Sep 2008, 6:42 am

Only television series I've ever bought seasons for on DVD.
Absolutely love it and indeed, that episode, and that rant in particular are great.

Polgara
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Sep 2008, 9:09 am

I think at the end of that episode they decided that House isn't an Aspie.

The show with the most Aspies on it is Bones. As far as I am concerned Temperance is, Zack is. (Yes, I know he's in jail now. Look at how he got there.)

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2008, 11:58 am

Polgara wrote:

"They" being Cuddy and Wilson. After that was the scene where the autistic boy bonded with house. His gift to house and his eye contact says "House, you are like me. You are not a threat, I can even look you in the eye." Which is something that little boy couldnt even do with his parents.

As aspies I believe that we stand astride two worlds.

When I was in high school there was this autistic girl, Selena. She was very much a monkey see/monkey do sort of person. When she got too close, the teenage girls would shriek and run, especially if she touched them. To Selena this was a grand game and she'd shriek too and chase after them. All hell would break loose.

If they wanted to be cruel they would vigorously rub their hands down the sides of their pants. Since she was trying to communicate, trying to be like everyone, she would do this too. Unfortunately, she wore sweat pants and she'd press too hard, so down they would come. Of course the girls would make various "ewww" noises or scream and sent off pandemonium again.

This was long before the advent of Aspergers in the books. I was 16 or so, and Aspergers didnt appear as a diagnostic criteria till I was at least 24. But still, as I said, I think we bridge a gulf between two worlds.

When Selena would go off like that, I realized that she was emulating the others, and that If I stood still she'd ignore me completely. Sure enough she would run right by me. By the books, I was emotionally uninvolved. Years later it made me a good bouncer.

They insinuate that in that episode of house as well. House breaths in from a gas mask so that the autistic boy accepts it calmly. He explains to everyone that "monkeys are afraid of red berries until they see another monkey eat them."

Monkey see, monkey do. I'm half autistic and so are you.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2008, 6:32 pm

I think it's time I rented some of those episodes. I've never seen the show, but I really like the posts in this thread.

Magique
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Sep 2008, 12:47 am

I love House. He keeps saying he doesn't care, but always proves he does. Brilliant show. Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if he's an aspie.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2008, 12:49 am

Polgara wrote:

The show with the most Aspies on it is Bones. As far as I am concerned Temperance is, Zack is. (Yes, I know he's in jail now. Look at how he got there.)

Which is to say, meaningles, whether or not they decide he is or is not , has no impact to if he is or is not. Only the writers can say.

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2008, 1:43 am

Whether or not house is aspie - and he's certainly pretty wierd - he's really, really lucky.

Any real person in that situation would be bound to accidentally let someone die from time to time and then they'd shut him down. Or her.

Either that or there'd be a sudden shortage of people suddenly struck down with incomprehensible illnesses but still having enough insurance to pay for house and his team.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2008, 11:50 am

tomamil wrote:
Fuzzy wrote:
tomamil wrote:
what episode was it?

What more can I tell ya?

I think it's called "Lines in the Sand".

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2008, 7:25 pm

cool

echokynthei
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Sep 2008, 10:10 pm

re: shortage of incomprehensible illnesses without insurance-they took a homeless woman.
also, people HAVE died. the homeless woman for one-she had rabies, which is fatal.

there was also an episode-i'll be vague, so i won't "spoil"-where a mistake in delivery of medication by a team member caused misdiagnosis and death of the patient.

as for house being an aspie...he has all of the earmarks, in my opinion. notice how dim he keeps his office and his apartment? and wilson MIGHT actually get it, and just not want to give him an out, or not want to seem to be giving him an out...complex relationship, there.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2008, 10:16 pm

You know, I totally forgot to listen to how they said Aspergers.