"Growing Up" On Your Terms Not Society's Terms

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

steelback
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Sep 2008, 4:15 pm

I think I do feel more comfortable with younger people. I recently transferred to a different department at my workplace. In my old job, I was working with people who were around the same age or older than I, but now my coworkers are younger--some just finishing university. I'm finding it more comforting because some of the older people I worked with enjoyed trading put-downs with each other, and with me, but because I'm overly sensitive to stuff like that, I didn't always enjoy it.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2008, 8:50 pm

SteelMaiden wrote:
I am quite the opposite. I've always like spending time with adults and I am 18. Ever since I was a kid I always went with the parents rather than my schoolfriends.

SAME HERE, except I am older than 18 now. When I was 6 or 7 and people came over to install/test phones, fix the TV, etc.... I would ask questions and all. I wouldn't be so interested in other kids.

BTW At the time, there was only ONE phone company, you had to get your phone from them, and they installed it. TVs had what was known as a chassis, and a lot of stuff would be fixed AT HOME! It is amazing how much things changed just in my lifetime.

I see some 20 somethings, and wish that I could get along, and find such joy in such things. Then again, I might as well wish the same about a toddler or a cat or a dog. :?

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2008, 5:48 am

i kept to myself as a kid. still do, sometimes i read books written for teenagers like the tommorow series (by john marsden who is a really good author)

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2008, 10:16 am

I definitely didn't 'grow' with my peers in two different ways! Firstly I have ALWAYS been way smaller than other people my age and secondly I have always been mentally younger than my peers. Actually, why call them peers if they are nothing like me... anyway, I believe that we should be allowed to progress at our own speed and not be criticized for liking things designed for a younger age group because if it was someone who had Down syndrome you wouldn't force them to grow up faster either...

I hope you lot understand what I just wrote because I sure dont...

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2008, 10:43 am

You don't have to grow up. You only have to grow older. I have a good job and take care of my self and my family. It has been years since my adult children stopped telling me to grow up.