Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

foul_ball
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Sep 2008, 6:29 pm

Hello,

just found this place and I'm feeling relieved to see such an active community of people I think I can relate to. I've been researching the internet, library, and soliciting observations from my few close friends and come to the conclusion that I am somewhere in the range of Asperger's - relatively high-functioning, yes, and not as affected as others, but still very socially impaired, lonely, "gifted" as the called me in school, and having a rough go of navigating this society of people I live amongst.
I am a 24yr. old single guy who loves music and enjoys working with his hands. I am semi-obsessed with bands like Thrice, MxPx, Futher Seems Forever, The Postal Service, and many other semi-indie bands. I also love the work of Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughn, and jazz great Johnny Smith with saxophonist Stan Getz. I have been playing guitar since turning 15, but only recently getting back into it after a period of being obsessed with collecting nice hand tools, like Snap-on and Proto wrenches, sockets, etc.. because I was working for a heavy equipment dealer doing assembly of tractors, backhoes, and other attachments. I am playing more guitar now because I got a new job with an airplane company that provides the tools for me, so I can't rationalize more spending and hours spent scouring ebay. I used to be more focused on having my own home recording studio, but the living situation changed and I don't have much space for it anymore.
As for work, I am fortunate to have held steady jobs, since high school for the most part. I never had to suffer through fast-food or retail work. In truth, I did not have a job out of high school for 8 months precisely because I knew I could not handle the fast-paced, people skills based environment. My entry into the workforce owes all thanks to the mother of a friend who put in a good word for me at a private school that hired me as a fill-in janitor and later promoted me to full-time maintenance tech. That being said, I have always ended up working a job that kept me alone for the most part. Never could work in groups at school and work is no different. In fact, my most hated memory of high school is when the teacher would announce, "Ok, everyone split up into groups of 3 or 4. Go!" I would usually sit paralyzed...those were most definitely not good times.

Thanks for reading if you've made it this far!

I think I'm going to be really sad if this place ever goes away. Much thanks to everyone who keeps this place going!

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2008, 6:46 pm

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

foul_ball
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Sep 2008, 6:56 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Welcome to WP!

Thanks man! Your signature is awesome! :D

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2008, 7:18 pm

Nice to meet you, foul_ball. :) 8)

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2008, 8:22 pm

I'm also in the Seattle area. I'm near Olympia and in a gallery there. I am an artist. I got to meet Wyland in Seattle yesterday and everyone loved my art including Wyland. If you don't know who he is, he is the guy that does those huge murals around the world with dolphins and whales. What is funny is that Wyland is world famous and he said that some of my pictures are better than his! And I gave him a print of one of my drawings. And the crowd noticed that I was carrying my prints and they all wanted my business card. I am a wildlife artist, I do pet portraits, and a marine artist. Anything with animals. I even have a website which is www.crittersonthings.com We put my images on t shirts, cards, prints and other items. Oh by the way, welcome to Wrong Planet. Its cool that someone here lives near me (maybe 50-60 miles away).

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2008, 8:50 pm

Glad to meet you, fellow-traveler, foul_ball, and welcome to Wrong Planet. Enjoyed reading your history. Your writing about your high school days brought home some memories. And congratulations on your new job. Take care now.

SeaBright
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2008, 10:07 pm

Firebird;
my pc froze on your website.

It's the first time that's happened.
I turned it off and everything was ok.
It may have been nothing.
If you have the know how could you investigate to make sure you haven't been cyber ickied?
Thank you.

"I'm sorry Katya, my dear, but where we come from, your what's known as a pet; a not quite human novelty. It's why we brought you.... It's nothing to be ashamed of, my dear, but here you are and here you'll sit."

foul_ball
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Sep 2008, 10:18 pm

FireBird wrote:
I'm also in the Seattle area. I'm near Olympia and in a gallery there. I am an artist. I got to meet Wyland in Seattle yesterday and everyone loved my art including Wyland. If you don't know who he is, he is the guy that does those huge murals around the world with dolphins and whales. What is funny is that Wyland is world famous and he said that some of my pictures are better than his! And I gave him a print of one of my drawings. And the crowd noticed that I was carrying my prints and they all wanted my business card. I am a wildlife artist, I do pet portraits, and a marine artist. Anything with animals. I even have a website which is crittersonthings. com We put my images on t shirts, cards, prints and other items. Oh by the way, welcome to Wrong Planet. Its cool that someone here lives near me (maybe 50-60 miles away).

That's really neat website! The paintings are incredibly lifelike- it's no wonder they all wanted your card. Those Lutina Cockatiels look just like the one my Grandfather owns.

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2008, 10:49 pm

Sea Bright the problem is that we are updating the website so it might have problems and thanks foul ball for saying that about my website. The best ones are the wildlife scenes and the marine life. I just finished one that looks as good as a Wyland painting. And by the way, most of those are not paintings but rather drawings with colored pencils. A lot of the bird ones are over 10 years old. I also do commission work if you own any pets for $125. That isn't really up on the website yet. The website is very complicated and probably will have problems for awhile because its constantly being updated with new images that I draw. And I am going to be on an Internet radio talk show on Monday. It will be on at 4pm pacific time at the website www.talkshoe.com/tc/24460

CelticRose
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2008, 10:55 pm

Welcome to WP! :)

Autism Speaks does not speak for me. I am appalled to discover that Alex Plank has allied himself with an organization that is dedicated to eliminating autistic people. I no longer wish to have anything to do with Wrong Planet. Delete this account.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2008, 1:00 am

Your presense ere pleases the Techno Viking.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Sep 2008, 6:07 am

To WrongPlanet!! !Image

autism
Toucan
Toucan

14 Sep 2008, 8:45 am

Hello

Welcome to WP.

The only thing I got was the error message because I have to reboot my best friend sometimes.

I have two cousins and a younger sibling who have Asperger Syndrome.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2008, 12:28 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2008, 6:54 pm

[quote="foul_ball"] I would usually sit paralyzed...those were most definitely not good times.
quote]
Hi foul_ball, I sat paralyzed throughout most of my school life, not daring to look let alone be noticed. So your really not alone, far to many of us have been bullied... but one thing you can guarantee it will not happen here :wink: