Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

NextFact
Toucan
Toucan

14 Sep 2008, 9:21 pm

hi i just started Celexa recently for depression & anxiety im on 10mg right now then going up to 20 in a few days and im curious to know what the pros & cons of this medication are and maybe even your own personal experiences, so far i dont really feel much different and i just took my 3rd pill.

Douglas_MacNeill
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2008, 9:25 pm

NextFact wrote:
hi i just started Celexa recently for depression & anxiety im on 10mg right now then going up to 20 in a few days and im curious to know what the pros & cons of this medication are and maybe even your own personal experiences, so far i dont really feel much different and i just took my 3rd pill.

I've been on Celexa (brand-name and generic) for some time.
I can't say Celexa is much different from any other Selective
Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor/Prozac derivative.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2008, 9:26 pm

I haven't been on Celexa, but I've been on Lexapro, which is supposedly very similar (in fact, the insurance company tried repeatedly to get me to switch to Celexa because it's cheaper, but I was having success with Lexapro). I had good luck with Lexapro in reducing obsessive thoughts, and it also helped me with social anxiety. I was on 10 mg for a while, then 20 mg, then 10 mg. In total, it's been a year and a half I think. Now I am weaning myself off it all together. One side effect I found was that I would get painful foot cramps. Also, if I would miss a day, I would get terrible side effects in the form of awful dizziness. So be careful not to miss a dose! :wink:

Also, I had to experiment with taking it at different times of day. It was easiest for me to remember taking it at night, but then I usually had more difficulty getting to sleep. Taking it in the morning therefore had the best results.

NextFact
Toucan
Toucan

14 Sep 2008, 9:30 pm

also am i supposed to be taking my pill before bed? because that doesnt make alot of sense.

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2008, 9:30 pm

I was on Celexa for 7 months and then off it for 4 months, and I've been back on it for 2 months... Celexa is good; it works for what it's meant for... if you're lucky you'll get a side effect of hypomania that I got on the second or third day I was on it and even had on the first day a little, and this was at 10 mg. I was on 40 for 2 months and it was wonderful. Now I'm on 20 and it's good. :) It makes me happy. It stimulates me too, inside like a stimulant does.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2008, 9:32 pm

NextFact wrote:
also am i supposed to be taking my pill before bed? because that doesnt make alot of sense.

I doubt it matters what time of day you take it, unless it interferes with sleep.

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2008, 10:14 pm

Honestly, you are not going to like what I say but for me it did nothing but increase my appetite, make me sleep more and less clear headed. But just because it didn't agree with me doesn't mean that you will have the same experience.

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2008, 10:38 pm

Im on celexa 30 milligrams it works well for me

vulcanpastor
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Sep 2008, 11:00 pm

I've been on Celexa for about 6 years. It has helped eased my obessive-compulsive behaviors and also made me less suspectible to meltdowns. The one thing I can say is that when you skip a few days, you can get some terrible cases of dizzyness.

It will take a while for you to notice any changes and probably others will notices before you do.

Good luck!

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2008, 11:02 pm

LostInSpace wrote:
NextFact wrote:

I doubt it matters what time of day you take it, unless it interferes with sleep.

I agree. I was told once a day, at about the same time each day. I take mine with breakfast, but it's just what I'm used to now.

Anyway, I take generic Celexa. It seems to work for me. Mentally, it didn't seem to do much, but physically, my anxiety symptoms were reduced a lot. I didn't have any side effects from it either, although I seem to become overemotional when I don't take it - but then, I usually don't take it if I'm stressed out, which means that may not be from the medication at all.

Three years!

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2008, 11:55 pm

vulcanpastor wrote:
The one thing I can say is that when you skip a few days, you can get some terrible cases of dizzyness.

Ugh- I had the same with Lexapro (very similar drug). The dizziness really is awful. It made me just want to lie down and sleep.

NextFact
Toucan
Toucan

15 Sep 2008, 1:26 am

i popped my pill a few hours ago and now im feeling really really tired and kinda dizzy. is this normal?

aspiemom1
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Sep 2008, 3:34 am

these meds do not "start working immediately" they take typically 2-4 weeks to get enough into your system to actually make a difference for the anxiety/depression. your doc should have told you this as most people expect instant reaction.

i have been on celexa as well as several other ssri's. Celexa did not work for me, but has worked for many others. good luck. i hope it works better for you.

NextFact
Toucan
Toucan

15 Sep 2008, 4:24 am

aspiemom1 wrote:
these meds do not "start working immediately" they take typically 2-4 weeks to get enough into your system to actually make a difference for the anxiety/depression.

why is that?

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2008, 5:24 am

Over here in rainy UK we call it Citalopram but it's the same thing. I have taken it for three years. The first two weeks I suffered mild nausea, dizziness and shaking but that went off. After about two months on the stuff it stopped working and now I am hooked on it and unable to get off it without severe withdrawal symptoms. It no longer helps at all... My advice, make sure you aren't on it for too long.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2008, 11:09 am

Jellybean wrote:
Over here in rainy UK we call it Citalopram but it's the same thing. I have taken it for three years. The first two weeks I suffered mild nausea, dizziness and shaking but that went off. After about two months on the stuff it stopped working and now I am hooked on it and unable to get off it without severe withdrawal symptoms. It no longer helps at all... My advice, make sure you aren't on it for too long.

I suggest doing it really gradually. For instance, start with alternating a whole pill with 3/4 of a pill for a few weeks, and then work your day down from there. Yes, it's a pain to cut a pill into 3/4, but that's how I got down from 20 mg to 10 mg. I alternated 1 pill with 3/4 pill for 2 weeks, then 3/4 pill every day for 2 weeks, then alternated 3/4 pill and 1/2 pill for 2 weeks, and so on.