Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

What branch of philosophy do you like best?
Metaphysics 18%  18%  [ 6 ]
Ethics 24%  24%  [ 8 ]
Political 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Logic 12%  12%  [ 4 ]
Philosophy of Religion 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
Epistemology 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Existential, Phenomenological, or Humanistic 21%  21%  [ 7 ]
Other 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 33

ShawnWilliam
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2008, 11:16 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
The art of using reason well in our inquiries after truth, and the communication of it to others.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2008, 1:09 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
My ethics justify atrocities.

My logic justifies and questions the concept of atrocity.

chever wrote:
No.

Why do you think it doesn't?

MissPickwickian
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2008, 4:27 pm

I gravitate towards ethics and existential concerns the most overall. Metaphysics can make me a little nauseated. The most entertaining branch of philosophy is logic--it's like a game. Linguistic philosophy has a lot to say about humanity, but I stay away most of the time because postmodernism has made a smoldering death crater of that discipline. Politics? It depends on my mood. On some days it is great thought provocation, but on others it only serves to angry up the blood and make me sulky. Must be hormones.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2008, 5:02 pm

This forum is the first time that I have actively engaged in philosophical debate with others, of course I have done heaps of soap boxing :roll:

I choose ethics, ethics has an effect upon the day to day lives of people, also I do not know what some of the other choices are :?

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

Letum
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Sep 2008, 6:55 pm

I voted for existentialism/phenomenology.

However, my interest in that area is very, very strongly linked with epistemology and metaphysics. I would even say that existentialism is directly a branch of both epistemology and metaphysics, even if it is a product of their failures. I also see it as the only route into ethics, given the failure of any metaphysical/ontological basis for ethics.

I may also have voted for 'other' as theory of mind is another strong interest of mine.

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2008, 6:59 pm

I voted for philosophy of religion, though politics is a close second.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2008, 7:12 pm

I chose the Philosophy of Logic because I design and work with logic systems. A large enough series of NO/YES decisions eventually become indistiguishable from an analog value, especially when the resolution of the system approaches that of the system noise.

Philosphy of Ethics is a good choice because it helps me decide how best to deal with others, and that when my ability or willingness isn't up to it, the only ethical thing to do is to hire someone else to do it for me.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2008, 9:23 pm

I voted ethics but logic is a tough second.

chever
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2008, 9:42 pm

greenblue wrote:
Why do you think it doesn't?

The premises, not the reasoning are at fault in such cases.

ShawnWilliam
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2008, 11:12 pm

claire333 wrote:
I voted ethics but logic is a tough second.

logic is only the left side of the brain though.. i happen to think the right side also plays a part in philosophy, because it's sort of an artform. I always think about taking reality and putting on it your own perspective of truth.. not everyone is forced to believe it.. it kind of transcends logic.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2008, 1:17 am

Ah, ShawnWilliam, you must like the notion of continental philosophy such as postmodernism and existentialism. In analytic philosophy, the dominant form in English speaking nations, philosophy is made in such a manner so that people are forced to believe it. In fact, Nozick in one of his books describes philosophical argumentation as an attempt to force somebody to believe what you believe on an issue.

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2008, 3:02 am

I voted existential but I'm more of transcendental spiritual nothingness. I used to be all logical but not it's just too mundane and boring.
Theres gots to be mores out there to life paw!

-Pythagoras

chever
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2008, 8:55 am

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Ah, ShawnWilliam, you must like the notion of continental philosophy such as postmodernism

/pukes

ShawnWilliam
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2008, 2:18 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Ah, ShawnWilliam, you must like the notion of continental philosophy such as postmodernism and existentialism. In analytic philosophy, the dominant form in English speaking nations, philosophy is made in such a manner so that people are forced to believe it. In fact, Nozick in one of his books describes philosophical argumentation as an attempt to force somebody to believe what you believe on an issue.

i guess you're right. . but im not going to start calling it that.

astarisbored
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Sep 2008, 9:32 pm

Realism and epistemology (naturalized and evolutionary), philosophy of biology, and philosophy of mind, and philosophy of language. I'm a bit of a fan of Ruth Garrett Millikan, though I have a feeling I'll need to read another book or two on linguistics and philosophical terminology if I'm to truly understand Language, Thought, And Other Biological Categories: New Foundations For Realism, which was obviously written for a Grad or Post-Grad audience, and unfortunately I'm not a member of it, and won't be any time soon.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2008, 9:42 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Ah, ShawnWilliam, you must like the notion of continental philosophy such as postmodernism and existentialism.

[seconds chever's sentiments]