White matter and underconnectivity theories

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

neongrl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2005, 9:08 am

I've been reading a bit about these theories over the last few days. Very interesting, it explains so much for me. The problem is I can't find much info on it. Does anyone know of any good websites/resources?

Pete1051
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Nov 2005, 9:54 am

Looks like a new area of research. It sounds promising. makes a lot of sense. It explains how someone can have a high vocabulary, but not be able to communicate with people.

This article was essentially saying that in the autism spectrum, the different parts of the brain aren't working together like a team. I read somewhere else that possibly gestational testosterone levels may have a role in causing that. Probably why it effects males more. You take a male brain, and make it more male, you are going to have a problem. You throw some testosterone at a female brain and more often it's just going to wind up in the middle of the spectrum.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2005, 10:14 am

I read something on that very recently in one of my journal articles. The article wasn't on that but it had mentioned it. I'll have to go back through the last couple I read and see where the reference was and who's doing the research.

But right now, I'm having chili for breakfast. :D

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

neongrl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2005, 10:20 am

Pete1051 wrote:
Looks like a new area of research. It sounds promising. makes a lot of sense. It explains how someone can have a high vocabulary, but not be able to communicate with people.

This article was essentially saying that in the autism spectrum, the different parts of the brain aren't working together like a team.

Yeah, it's explaining a lot of things like that for me, that's why I'm interested in reading more. I want to make sure I'm understanding it correctly and putting the puzzle pieces together properly in my mind. As for communication specifically (since you mentioned it), I'm fine if I'm sharing facts or information but my ability goes right out the window for any other communication - social or whatever. Even though it's all communication, is it different brain processes? Fascinating stuff. There's also things like why my ability to process input, figure out what to do about it, and physically (or verbally) respond goes out the window or at least slows down significantly in certain situations (especially if I'm overloaded) but I'm ok in other situations. Again, I'm guessing the difference is probably different cognitive processes. You mentioned an article - do you have a link for it? It sounds like it may be one I already read but maybe not.

Pete1051
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Nov 2005, 10:42 am

One part of the brain handles the words, and another part handles the sentences, but then there also another part that puts things into a social context.
Apparently, all these parts are not working together well.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2005, 1:41 pm

There was a recent article about white matter and compulsive lying in the BBC. Apparently, pathological liars have more white matter in their prefrontal cortex with relatively less gray matter. The gray matter apparently triggers the moral sentiments of guilt that would inhibit the lie; and the copious white matter means it's easy for them to think of lies, too.

neongrl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2005, 3:25 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
There was a recent article about white matter and compulsive lying in the BBC. Apparently, pathological liars have more white matter in their prefrontal cortex with relatively less gray matter. The gray matter apparently triggers the moral sentiments of guilt that would inhibit the lie; and the copious white matter means it's easy for them to think of lies, too.

That makes sense. From what I've read if you compare it to a computer, grey matter is like the computer 'parts' - motherboard, drives, memory, etc that do the thinking/work, and white matter is the cables that connect the different parts (or brain areas) so they can communicate with each other. What I'd be interested in is a list of some kind that gives a detailed view of what each part of the brain does - not general function but more specific (what's involved in different types of communication, for example). The brain is probably too complex to even begin looking at everything in that kind of detail though.

aspergian_mutant
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2005, 9:59 pm

goto
http://www.psyclops.com/hawking/forum/

there ask for links to answers to your questions and ask your thoughts,
this is the TOP web forum for Steven Hawking and his err followers and critics in the sciences.
If you do not know who Steven Hawking is, he is one of the most world renowned thinkers of our time.
just be forewarned, the people that post there (for the most part) are genius's and will quickly nail you to the wall if you make a statement with no facts to back them up with,
believe me I know I got nailed a few times for speaking without doing my research first, but they will be polite and helpful to those that are just wishing to be informed and asking for directions in such matters, they will try to explain things if asked.

AspergianMutantt
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2016, 12:49 pm

Tagging for back reference.