Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Woodpeace
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Sep 2008, 5:30 am

The film Her Name Is Sabine, by French actress Sandrine Bonnaire about her autistic sister, will be shown on the More4 channel tonight (September 16) from 10pm to 11.50pm. Here is a description of the film:

Quote:
We see Sabine's screams, bursts of violence and maddening repeated questions - at times it's a fascinating exploration of how a damaged mind works, but in the main it's a pained cry of outrage at how society failed Sabine. Bonnaire's sharpest weapon is her home-movie footage, going back 25 years, of a happy and responsive Sabine before a series of misdiagnoses and a disastrous spell in a psychiatric hospital dragged her to where she is now. It's a deeply personal film, given added piquancy by the knowledge that while one sister tragically declined, the other became a glamorous movie star.

It is in French with English sub-titles.

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2008, 7:59 am

It is a good, if a little distressing film.

A group of us in London went to see it at the ICA, I shall probably watch it again tonight.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2008, 8:22 am

Oooh a book with pictures :) I hate subbed films :( I spend most of the time reading rather than watching, so I miss the action

astarisbored
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Sep 2008, 9:26 pm

Keith wrote:
Oooh a book with pictures :) I hate subbed films :( I spend most of the time reading rather than watching, so I miss the action

I prefer subtitles, because dubs are usually so awful, or at least in my experience. If they used better voice actors and acting, I might have less of a problem with its use.

Woodpeace
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Sep 2008, 12:43 pm

Here are comments about the film: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1031928/usercomments .

On the film's website - http://www.filmsduparadoxe.com/sabine.pdf - are stills from the film and an interview with Sandrine Bonnaire (Sabine's sister and the film's director). It's a French site.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2008, 8:46 pm

am watched this film in bits,after recording it on sky+.
good documentary,couldnt have cared less that it was in french because am dont watch tv with sound on and use subs anyway,the programmes own subs were a lot more reliable than skys.

Am was left confused by a lot of it,as it focused on other residents in the house a lot to.
did Sabine have ECT when she was at hospital? is her heavy drueling and zombified state because of medication she is on? drueling is always a sign are on to much or at the least is a severe side effect of some meds,not good.
the way she went from one state to another was extreme.

the staff at her residential home didnt seem trained in what they call 'physical intervention',as when they were removing Sabine [or it could have been another resident] from the kitchen,they held their arms over rather than under so were still getting bitten,any staff who work here have to do physical intervention courses,and use under the arm restraints whilst pinning arms down the side and holding the hand [a staff on both sides] so there is no chance of getting hit by head or bitten,though Sabines staff seemed to be nice and patient and she is somewhere quiet and peaceful so that is at least one good thing-it sounded bad that there is hardly any care at all for adults who need to live in residential homes in their country and that autists often live with their parents till they die,not good at all.
maybe this documentary will get them more awareness that their country needs more support.

also,am remember them saying Sabine was finally diagnosed with pyscho-infantile with autistic behavior,what does that mean?

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!