Social story about getting a vaccine?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

BeautyWithin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Sep 2008, 9:34 am

Does anyone have a social story or social script about going to the doctor to get a vaccine?
Thanks in advance.

zellyzelda
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Sep 2008, 5:19 pm

just wondering how old is the person who is going to have the vaccine?

annie2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Sep 2008, 7:56 pm

No, sorry. But I did find it worked to explain to my kids that the vaccines protect against really bad diseases, and that even though it might end up hurting a little bit, it is a lot better than hurtng lots and lots for a long time if you don't get them. I always have the deal with them too, that if they're brave and get them, they get to go straight to McDonalds for a treat.

BeautyWithin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Sep 2008, 8:56 pm

He's 4 yrs old... We're in the process of getting our twinrix (hepatitis A & B) vaccines before we go away. It's a series of 3 shots.

For the very first one I tried explaining but he struggled and his anxiety level was soaring. I gave him chocolate as an incentive but the wait in the waiting room was enough to make him nervous. He did eat his chocolate after the shot but it was still overall a bad experience. I want the upcoming ones to be better.

annie2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Sep 2008, 5:12 am

Can you tell the medical staff that your child is autistic and hence needs to be taken straight away without time spent in the waiting room? Doctor's waiting rooms drive me absolutely crazy - they should take a dollar off the bill for every minute you wait - only problem is then they'd probably end up paying me!! !

BeautyWithin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Sep 2008, 9:23 am

The doc has a lot of autistic patients... so that would be unfair to the others who were there before us. It was actually the first time that we had to wait. That alone broke the 'routine' and made things worse.

zellyzelda
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Sep 2008, 5:16 pm

before you go away, i take it you are going on holiday

Is your son looking forward to going away if so you could say
before we go on holiday we have to go to dr's and have special vaccine
the special vaccine will keep us well and stop us being very poorly on holiday
so we can have lots of fun.

but i must admit i do think somethime ignorance is bliss
were i wprk it is better not to tell some of the clients that they are having a vaccine
as they wil become challenging.
we get special cream off dr in advance put cream on were they r gonna have vaccine
and the client only knows about having it as it is being done,even though it can be a little stressful they are back to themselves within 10 mins.

i am trying to find or think of a good social story but its not easy for that age range