Fla. police use Taser on nude man walking a dog

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

jrknothead
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2008, 9:37 am

Quote:
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - A 40-year-old man walking his dog in the nude was Tasered by police when he refused to follow an officer's commands. David McCranie of the Tallahassee Police Department said an officer on patrol spotted the man shortly after 8 p.m. Friday.

The man was asked what he was doing and told the officer, "Allah told me to watch a Bruce Willis movie and walk the dog," McCranie said.

McCranie said using the Taser was the only way to subdue the man without having to hurt him. The man was then sent for mental-health evaluation and treatment

8O

sebbs
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Sep 2008, 10:01 am

jrknothead wrote:

Quote:
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - A 40-year-old man walking his dog in the nude was Tasered by police when he refused to follow an officer's commands. David McCranie of the Tallahassee Police Department said an officer on patrol spotted the man shortly after 8 p.m. Friday.

The man was asked what he was doing and told the officer, "Allah told me to watch a Bruce Willis movie and walk the dog," McCranie said.

McCranie said using the Taser was the only way to subdue the man without having to hurt him. The man was then sent for mental-health evaluation and treatment

8O

eh using a taser does not hurt?

Douglas_MacNeill
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2008, 11:08 am

jrknothead wrote:

Quote:

8O

Police forces, including the RCMP, should have their Tasers taken away from them.
This weapon gives them a licence to use force they did not have before the Taser,
encourages poor policing, and compromises the distinction between a police force
and a street gang.

ValMikeSmith
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2008, 12:52 pm

Just a thought...

MOST PEOPLE couldn't care less about this story because it omits what happened to the dog!

ShawnWilliam
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2008, 1:26 pm

"McCranie said using the Taser was the only way to subdue the man without having to hurt him."

:roll: not hurt him?.. yeah, riight.. :roll:

I am so sick of cops.. just another weapon to play with..

KingofKaboom
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2008, 3:26 pm

Ehhh cops were always a little gang for instance if you kill one they all want to kill you in revenge they may not but they'll try if they can. And really they're just like any group of people most of them middle to lower class low education and then they get a gun and power what do you think their all going to be good and try hard to enforce the law with out breaking it themselves? Most will as a whole but not always and not all.

ShawnWilliam
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2008, 3:53 pm

KingofKaboom wrote:
Ehhh cops were always a little gang for instance if you kill one they all want to kill you in revenge they may not but they'll try if they can. And really they're just like any group of people most of them middle to lower class low education and then they get a gun and power what do you think their all going to be good and try hard to enforce the law with out breaking it themselves? Most will as a whole but not always and not all.

in school, the only people who wanted to be cops were bullies and 'badasses'... the ones who want that continued sense of control for the rest of their life.. there is no moral training in the police academy.. they just assume everyone is good to go. It is seriously f****d. or mostly they just dont care.. they want to get the easily corruptable people on board..

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2008, 6:58 pm

Tasers are evil.

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2008, 5:25 pm

I imagine they also use tasers to open doors, make coffee, and teach their children how to walk.

Is there any part of having thousands of volts passed through you that DOES have a beneficial effect on your mental health?

Are american police even vaguely trained in the art of "talking to the suspect" and "non violent arrest techniques". Its quite easy to do. I see british coppers do it all the time and very rarely, if ever, do they have to electrocute someone. Your criminals are no more dangerous than ours, your mad people no more mad.. so why do your police officers act like Serbian Paramilitaries with even the simplest and smallest of offenses? Was this man carrying a concealed weapon perhaps? Or are american police s**t thick inbred gun-toting muscle-bound jumped up security guards hiding behind an arsenal Stalin would have been proud of?

patternist
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2008, 5:57 pm

Wy am I not surprised it happened in Florida....?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2008, 6:50 pm

Probably because of the "don't tase me, bro!" incident.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2008, 8:14 pm

The Taser is just the latest in a long line of less lethal weapons to be used by the police, sometimes questionably. In the old days they'd use a lead shot sap or a pipe wrapped in newspaper so that they didn't leave marks, but that's old school now. I would argue that temporary electrical shock is preferable to a blow to the head, though both should be avoided if at all possible. If anything, the Taser forces more accountability, as there is always a record of it having been fired, and if I remember correctly in addition to the darts it launches confetti in order to mark the position of the officer when the device was fired.

Considering the lack of information in the article, I wouldn't feel comfortable second guessing the officer, naked or not I know that the mentally ill can be highly threatening, and exactly what led up to the tasing is not described. It may have come down to hitting him or using the Taser, and as said, the Taser may actually be the safer option.

Confused-Fish
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 1:16 am

rofl! pretty much sums it up for me :P

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 7:13 am

If the guy did something threatening like pull knife, or charge at them I could understand using the taser but he didn't do that. Cops are very trigger happy which is bad, because stuff like taser are very traumatic trust me I know they hurt like hell all over your body.

Cops need to be accountable for their action, I was watching an ABC news special and cops won't arrest other cops. I saw one he was clearly drunk and driving, well another police officer pulled him over, but because he was a cop he did not get arrested.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 9:53 am

I remember watching a show about a SWAT team where part of the training is to get tasered.
I hope the tasered guy is ok.
so what happened to the dog?