Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

-gemma-1990-
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Oct 2008, 9:28 am

my parents dont limit my computer time, firstly because ive got my own laptop,
secondly, because they never limit my brother,
and thirdly because im 18 now so thay cant really.
but when i go downstairs for a drink there is normally a small comment thrown into the air such as "you've been on your laptop for hours!"

Phob
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Oct 2008, 4:32 am

My parents keep saying they will, but I never quite manage to keep to it xD

aidan5151
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Oct 2008, 11:47 pm

I'm on ALL the time. It's the only connection with other people that I have. My mom doesn't know ANYTHING about computers or the net so I don't have any restrictions at all.

DeLoreanDude
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2008, 2:51 am

Luckily my mum is at work most of the time so she cant, and my dad just dont care and even if he did he would have to get me to set up restrictions coz he cant even turn a computer on.

It also makes it much better that I have a laptop and iPod touch I can use for the internet when she is home :P

EDIT: Chances are, I will be in possession of an iPhone soon, so I can browse where ever 8)

Last edited by DeLoreanDude on 19 Oct 2008, 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

LesMisGuy
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Aug 2009, 11:21 pm

Not really...... Though, I'm to share it with my siblings. And, I'm on the computer for maybe.......2 hours a day? Some days more though ha ha.

nodice1996
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

05 Aug 2009, 12:03 am

I have to log off at 11pm. But i don't.

visnofskygirl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2009, 12:27 pm

Nobody is limiting me from using my computer and actually,my aunt(I don't have parents :P) is the one who's telling me to just face my computer instead of being annoying..During school days I go on my computer from the moment I finished changing my uniform until 2AM (then I wake up at 4AM).I also eat and do school works infront of my computer.

L_Lawlliet
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Aug 2009, 2:47 pm

my dad tries to put me a one hour time limit, but he'll never suceed cuz i'm quite stuborn ( and he's never home)

Und dir in jeder dunklen nacht erschein'
Und dann fliegen
wir weit weg von hier
Wir werden uns nie mehr verlier'n

x5U8Z3R0x
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Aug 2009, 5:20 pm

yeah, but when I know they're going out for an extended period of time like say 2-3 hours or longer, I just boot up in safe mode, make a new username and use that for Internet and whatnot.

SierraBell
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Aug 2009, 11:49 pm

My parents, (mostly my mom) tries to limit my computer time. I want to quit being a computer addict. The reason why I sometimes let it slip is because I want more extra social chat. I sometimes want attention, so I just go on forums and start topics. The computer is really a drug to me. But I won't quit. I will keep trying.

nodice1996
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Aug 2009, 11:35 am

Elaboration on my previous post: I have no limits at my mom's house, and at my dads I have to be quiet by 11, which, because of the bad floor between my computer and my bed, involves going to bed by 11 and logging off.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2009, 1:24 pm

theQuail wrote:
Thanks for replying.

I normally spend 30 mins to 5 hours on the computer daily, usually somewhere in between of course. My father wanted me to spend 1.5 hours or less! 8O Hehe, I can't imagine that. Luckily he doesn't really enforce it...
Yeah, internet addiction is a scary thing, and WrongPlanet is a really fun site to read. I take breaks every once in a while (a recent one enforced by Hurricane Ike power outages, for example) to make sure I'm not too dependent on the computer.

That 1.5 hours or less is the standard us parents get to hear over and over and over from the "experts."

I think the fact that you are aware of the addiction element and careful about it is a very argument against strick limits. The best way to keep your parents from enforcing a limit is to show that you are able to limit yourself and act responsibly, and don't use the computer to hide from the family or life. It sounds like you do show responsibility, which may be why your dad doesn't get too serious about following the gold standard he keeps hearing. It gets hard for us parents, because we get pushed in so many directions and we don't want to make mistakes with our kids. But AS kids do have different needs and the standards can be different ... its just, well, so much information gets thrown at you as a parent about how horrible it is to let your kids on the computer too much. Just be aware that your parents face that pressure and do your best to continue showing them that you understand the pros and cons of being connected to this tool.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2009, 5:19 pm

asplanet wrote:
I don't - I understand my son :D , and Bill Gates didn't get where he is playing soccer 8O !

One of the things Bill Gates did was to buy Q-DOS and adapted it to make MS-DOS. The fundamentals of Windows lei elsewhere.

So, they just buy other companies and incorporate the software as their own. More of putting together bits of trash to make a super-car, but not as good.

I've been into computers for so long, that I think I spent most time just copying programs into the computer before I found out I could save them. Then my mother became rough and knocked the 5VDC connector out so the slightest knock would effectively cause loss of power resetting the machine.

CloudWalker
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2009, 3:00 pm

I just can't resist to chime in. I think what got Bill Gates there is his ability to LIE shamelessly and convincingly! He bluffed IBM into thinking they had a product ready to go. In reality, they had not written even one line of code yet, and he just used the down payment from IBM to buy Q-DOS.

parakoopa
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Aug 2009, 3:40 pm

lucky for me, the answer is no, they sometimes pressure me to do other stuff, but they never explicitly tell me I must get off, but still my computer time i limited because my sister gets on often, and our parents make us share it....

pepperrose

07 Mar 2011, 10:07 pm

my dad wants me to spend 3hrs only a day i normally spend about 6 to 7 hrs a day i was worried he would enforce it but hes already forgotten :lol: