Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Scrapheap
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2005, 3:51 pm

Does anyone here know of a shrink in the Orange county area who is good at diagnosing aspergers?? I would like to know once and for all exactly what I have. :nerdy:

BlackLiger
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2005, 3:54 pm

Why oh why do you americans call psychiatrists and psychologist "Shrinks?"....

I mean, seriously, theres only 1 image that comes to mind with that and its a nasty one...

Scrapheap
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2005, 3:56 pm

BlackLiger wrote:

I mean, seriously, theres only 1 image that comes to mind with that and its a nasty one...

HEHEHEHE by all means share it with the class :lol: :lol:

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2005, 3:59 pm

heh. I don't think I want to know...

Anyway, if you don't get a more direct answer, try the Orange County Autism Society. They should have a list of people qualified to dx you. Make sure you get someone who has experience with adults. So often adults have developed enough coping skills that it takes a bit of digging to get to the core.

http://www.asaoc.org

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2005, 6:16 pm

I dont use the word shrink unless I think the person is stupid.

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

sandra3
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Nov 2005, 7:11 pm

just keep trying till you find a qualified psychologist that is experienced in this kind of diagnosis.

beentheredonethat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2005, 2:09 am

Quote:

Because I am as old as the hills, I will tell you where it came from. Sometime back in the 1950's people started calling psychiatrists "headshrinkers." This had to do with some people's feelings that psychiatry is witchcraft.

That is political.

I'm just giving information.

btdt
:(

AbominableSnoCone
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2005, 9:55 am

BlackLiger wrote:

Because its only one syllable as opposed to four? and yeah like someone said there is a bit of a derogatory element to the word shrink, I've found now that I have a smart psychologist I say shrink a lot less

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2005, 5:45 am

Ah, dose headshrinkers! I'slike voodoo er somethin'! !! Run 'em outta town!! !! !! !! !! !! ! *torches* :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

As for diagnosis stuff: try and find some kind of local Autism center or society and give them a ring, asking who they'd recommend for an AS expert who's very familiar with your age range. You definitely want to get a professional who's diagnosed a LOT of Aspies-- and a lot of adult Aspies at that. Since sometimes we're so hard to spot.

I don't recommend going to a child diagnostitician AT ALL, or one who's only dxed children with AS and isn't familiar how the symptom picture changes with age. If you do, you may be running a risk of not getting a diagnosis, because the diagnostitician might not be as "experienced" in all ranges of Aspergers as they consider themselves to be. There's quite a few professionals like this. So be wary.

This, unfortunately, was my experience with the first attempt I had at AS diagnosis and it took awhile to get up the confidence again to know he was wrong. I try to keep everyone I meet from having to go through that. So many diagnostiticians think that if they can spot an AS kid then of course they can spot on AS adult. This isn't always the case.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Scrapheap
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2005, 9:01 pm

Thanx everyone who replied (even if BlackLiger does'nt like to share his jokes with the class :lol: ) I'll keep what you said in mind Sophist :)