Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 6:52 am

Perhaps only when I get drunk

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 4:38 pm

I find the social lubricant effect of alcohol a double-edged sword - it's great in I don't overdo it, then it's a case of "what's on a sober man's mind is on a drunken man's tongue" - pathological honesty doesn't go down very well in mainstream society. Last time I did that, I alienated a good friend for a week :( I did nothing really nasty, and still don't fully understand quite what I did - a topic for another thread perhaps. Sorry to be cryptic. It was well weird.

Jenk
Toucan
Toucan

20 Sep 2008, 4:48 pm

Sure, there pretty embarrassing, a phone voice scenario and my best friend cuts right through my valliant stage shows, "Oh really Jenk! That's very, um, posh of you, moving on...." :?

TheMidnightJudge
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 5:53 pm

We learn a LOT. I'm sure many of us pass for neurotypical. I've certainly had moments where I felt very confident in my social skills.

Carbonhalo
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Sep 2008, 10:44 pm

The halo unit. (roughly 2.5 years)

The time between introduction to a new social/working/living environment and accumulating enough stress to become nonfunctional and have to start afresh.

(with stress level inversely proportional to perceived normality)

Coadunate
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 11:01 pm

Something to note:

Apparently the ability to imitate is not affected by AS. I am very good at mimicking others, even NTs. Does that make me an NT? Yeah I wish, sometimes.

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 12:22 am

I definitely have my NT moments. It usually happens when I'm exceptionally comfortable - and then of course there are the times when I'm just ridiculously good at faking being normal.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 5:05 am

Quote:
I am very good at mimicking others, even NTs

I do that too. Often using a line from a TV programme or movie. Trouble is, it's not always turned out to be the right thing to say.

But one experience made me wonder - a friend had mentioned a guy who he said had acted like a pain in the butt by turning up, hanging about, and saying "do you know what it's like to be really depressed?" I instantly added this remark to my list of things not to say if you want people to like you. But years later, for some reason I went and dropped out the same question to somebody else. I'd been feeling confident as that particular friendship had been growing quite nicely, and I guess I wanted to see, just for the hell of it, what would happen if I dared to say that. The reply was "yes, I have," and the friendship grew stronger as a result of my question.

For some time, I couldn't make head nor tail of it - how could saying the exact same thing put somebody off in one case, and drawi them towards you in another? Best answer I know is that there's really no such thing as a good or bad remark. It depends on who you're talking to, and on the context. I don't know which is the most remarkable - that discovery, or the fact that I see it as so remarkable :? Are these things simply trivial and obvious to NTs? It's as though my behaviour had learned the lesson before my intellect caught up.