Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

UndercoverAlien
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2008, 2:33 pm

isn't it just horrible that everything you do even if it doesnt come even close to hurting some one or maybe even things that doesnt even come close to comming close to that
somethimes my emotions can become so very strong for stupid and small things i hate it its horrible i dunno what to think anymore somethimes i get really confused of what im acctualy really caring for or what acctualy is because of the autism

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2008, 2:40 pm

My son also feels emotion unusually intensely. He has taught himself to turn off emotion in certain situations, as a self-defense machanism, which I find rather sad, but also an interesting insight to what goes on with Autism.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2008, 3:13 pm

So often, the smallest things inspire a radical emotional response, one without direction or explanation. They stir beneath the surface, reluctant to express for the childhood fear of once again being told that having my own feelings what wrong.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2008, 3:40 pm

I am ridiculously oversensitive. For example, there was a troll on here last night dissing our community, and I couldn't get to sleep for hours.

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2008, 4:00 pm

People think I am stoic, but I am just hiding my pain. My emotions are mine and I won't share them in situations that might cause me to feel more pain. My family rarely knows how i am feeling. I practice fake emotions in the mirror so i don't have to talk about them.

donkey
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2008, 4:46 pm

it is an absolute feature of AS individuals to have difficulty modulating their emotional response to most scenarios, it takes practice and awareness but it must be worked at and learned and adapted to. it is a true feature that seperates us from non AS.

modulated is such a good secription or the other take home message is over-and under......always a response that is too much or too little, rarely spot on.

Magique
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Sep 2008, 4:51 pm

Yes, I feel emotion intensely, at least in the last few years that I've let myself feel at all. I shut down for quite a while. The painful emotions may hurt more, perhaps, but on the other hand I can feel intense joy.

TheMidnightJudge
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2008, 8:30 pm

Yeah.
In my mind at least, my logic and emotions go separate, so I'm sometimes annoyed by my capacity to feel.

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2008, 9:46 pm

I am a lot like the proverbial "emotional wreck." And sometimes when I lose control over a situation, I will invariably hear from a well-meaning person that I "shouldn't let it get to me." Oh, if it were that easy.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2008, 10:30 pm

I have a really low frustration tolerance. Also, beware.. telling me to "calm down" or "get over it" will just multiply my wrath and turn it on you.

liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2008, 10:33 pm

marshall wrote:
I have a really low frustration tolerance. Also, beware.. telling me to "calm down" or "get over it" will just multiply my wrath and turn it on you.

We have been working on getting my husband to NOT say "calm down" when I start freaking out. I think its just a normal reaction for people to say but it does just fuel the fire.