Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

flutter
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2008, 2:21 pm

So, I'm not sure where else this should go, since the LGBTQ forum doesn't exist yet.... but (not to be stereotypical) women are more likely to have done this.

So... I went for my first face clearing appointment yesterday, got my my entire face melted and I'm waiting for all the hairs to fall out.

And, the reason I'm posting this here is that I have a lingering burning hair smell in my nose that won't go away, and most of my trans friends have told me this isn't normal, that it went away after an hour or so.

So.... I'm wondering if anyone else has had laser hair removal, and has smell sensitivity? I know my sense of smell is overpowered (It's the one thing I regret about quitting smoking...... being able to smell again). I'm just looking for any idea of how long this will last, if this is normal for someone on the spectrum with sensory issues? Or If maybe it's psychosematic because I want to believe I smell burnt hair.

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2008, 2:29 pm

Too bad you didn't ask about this before getting it done! Many women get "peach fuzz" hair growth on their face especially as they get older, and there's nothing wrong with that. There's this one clerk at a grocery store I go to, and she had some kind of elective skin treatment on her face, probably hair removal by the looks of it. She has extensive scarring and disfigurement on large areas of her face now, especially her chin. This looks much worse than if she'd just left the fuzz alone, or just shave it if it really bothers her that much.

I remember when I started getting a lot of facial hair as a teenager, and I welcomed the experience and how different it was. Now I sort of regard it as an itchy, picky nuisance that makes me look bad if I let it go too long, and gives me other problems if I shave it every day. I wouldn't mind being minus the facial hair, but I see leaving it alone as the lesser of two evils.

But a dog knows his boy can go wrong

Last edited by sgrannel on 18 Sep 2008, 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flutter
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2008, 2:37 pm

Sorry, shouldn't have assumed you've read my previous posts to know I'm a MtF transsexual, so hair removal of some kind is almost a psychological nessecity.

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2008, 5:29 pm

I've never had it. However, If I had the money I would get my whole body done. :D

rushfanatic
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Sep 2008, 5:35 pm

flutter wrote:
Sorry, shouldn't have assumed you've read my previous posts to know I'm a MtF transsexual, so hair removal of some kind is almost a psychological nessecity.
I admire your honesty in sharing your gender-decision, I wish you well...I saw on an infomercial a kind of sponge or loofah type pad that buffed away facial hair, as well as legs, arms, etc...I believe it came from Australia, does anyone recall what I am referring to?

Nikky91
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Sep 2008, 8:38 pm

I've had a small amount of hair under my chin removed by lazors and the only time I smelled the burnt hair was when it was happening. But I don't have smell sensitivity and I only got a small amount burned. If you have any other questions you can ask me.

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 12:55 pm

I never had it done, but I would love to do it for my legs.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2008, 3:33 am

never done it, would like it for my legs too.

n4mwd
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2008, 4:52 am

Nikky91 wrote:
I've had a small amount of hair under my chin removed by lazors and the only time I smelled the burnt hair was when it was happening. But I don't have smell sensitivity and I only got a small amount burned. If you have any other questions you can ask me.

Whats a "lazor"? Is that a brand name for hair removal laser treaments?

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2008, 7:42 am

im interested in this stuff... do you mind if i ask about the expense? i know you have to do multiple appointments sometimes

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

Weirdobird
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Sep 2008, 10:09 am

I had two test patches done and intend to go for a treatment when I can afford to pay for the course of treatments I need. I have smell sensitivity and only smelled it during. Maybe because you had such a large area of skin done, there's more to smell?

Rjaye
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2008, 10:29 pm

Flutter, are you experiencing any other side effects? Any unusual swelling or weeping of the tissues? Anything more abnormal than what you were told to expect? Is the pain more than you expected?

The smell may be an Aspie issue. It couldn't hurt to call the person who did the work and double check, and it would ease your mind.

mette, Rjaye.

flutter
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2008, 12:09 pm

a week out, just some minor redness, and the smell was gone after the second day.

I suspect because it was my entire face being done, and the thickness of facial hair, caused the smell to linger for a day, also the proximity to my nose.

Normally, full facial is 2600, I got a deal at 1300 for full beard, 6 sessions, with a 2 year touch up guarantee.

American Laser Centers does their own financing, you can pay it off over a year interest free.

Only certain sections were painful, the tip of the chin was painful, but no worse then getting a shot, it just happened multiple times across my entire face.

Depending on the amount and thickness of hair, and the coloration, sometimes electrolysis is preferable, because skin type and hair color don't effect electrolysis, but it is one strand at a time, and they burn each hair out at the root. It's painful, but a bad tech can make it worse.

It's hard to screw up an IPL laser.

So, I'm getting the majority off with laser, and I'll use electrolysis to touch up after.

Nikky91
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Sep 2008, 9:50 pm

n4mwd wrote:
Nikky91 wrote:

Whats a "lazor"? Is that a brand name for hair removal laser treaments?

No, that's just my AWFUL spelling :lol:

n4mwd
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2008, 5:07 am

flutter wrote:
Depending on the amount and thickness of hair, and the coloration, sometimes electrolysis is preferable, because skin type and hair color don't effect electrolysis, but it is one strand at a time, and they burn each hair out at the root. It's painful, but a bad tech can make it worse.

It's hard to screw up an IPL laser.

So, I'm getting the majority off with laser, and I'll use electrolysis to touch up after.

The opposite is actually true. Electrolysis is trivial. A brain dead monkey with one good eye can be taught to properly do electrolysis. Laser treatments require proper color matching to your skin so you aren't burned to a crisp. That's a lot harder to do.

With electrolysis, a really fine wire is inserted into the same hole the hair comes out of and touches the root, then a small voltage, like maybe 9-12 volts is used to fry the root and it comes out without pain. The wire is so fine that if they don't get it right, your skin will bend it over and they'll have to replace it. The only sensation during electrolysis is a strong tingling sensation when the hair is fried. The only down side to electrolysis is that its one hair at a time just like you said.

Rjaye
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2008, 5:49 am

Well, good thing everything turned out okay...

I think you're right, Flutter, about the thickness of the hair and it being right by your nose. I've been thinking of having some stuff done, especially the underarms. The hair on my legs gets finer the older I get, so that's a non-issue. I don't know about my lip...I had waxing done and by a very good esthetist, but I still got a terrible rash.

Metta, Rjaye.