Things you find strangely relaxing...

Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Mutanatia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Sep 2008, 8:26 pm

A recent observance I mad brought me to post this subject:

Is there anything you find to be strangely relaxing? For instance, I find the patterns my shades make on the wall to be one of the most relaxing things ever :)

SeaBright
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 8:35 pm

Yes, I have a paned lamp that in darkness makes the nicest artwork on the ceiling and wall.

and

A fuzzy blanket.

"I'm sorry Katya, my dear, but where we come from, your what's known as a pet; a not quite human novelty. It's why we brought you.... It's nothing to be ashamed of, my dear, but here you are and here you'll sit."

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Sep 2008, 10:02 pm

I find putting on my MP3 player and walking up and down the stacks at the library strangely relaxing. I don't know why.

I also find a lot of strange and relaxing comfort in watching my tv shows at night. Especially if I've had a rough day.

Warm pjs straight from the dryer and hugging my teddybear under my mink blanket when it's cold outside.

KRIZDA88
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Sep 2008, 10:06 pm

rocking myself back and forth by pushing my foot against the foot board of my bed, kinda a stimming thing I think but it helps me sleep. I will have to agree with warm pjs, fuzzy blankets and soft teddy bears, and I would and to it my pillows which are nice and cool and amazing...

-Bigfoot IS blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer?s
fault. He's a large, out-of-focus monster, and that's extra scary to me.

-If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to see it, do the other trees make fun of it?

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Sep 2008, 10:35 pm

Things I find strangely comforting:

The sound of pages being turned, in a book.
The sound of gentle raindrops on an umbrella.
The glitter of sunlight through multicolored, plastic beads hanging across the doorway.
My cat, kneading the blanket at the foot of the bed, and making indirect contact with my feet.
Someone gently playing with my hair.
A front loading washing machine, while it washes clothing.
A hooded sweatshirt
Clean bed linen, fresh off the clothesline

CelticRose
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 10:39 pm

Solving algebra problems. I love taking a long complicated equation and reducing it down to it's simplest form. Also, there's only one (or one set of) correct answers. Everything is logical and makes sense. My blood pressure's dropping just thinking about it. 8)

Autism Speaks does not speak for me. I am appalled to discover that Alex Plank has allied himself with an organization that is dedicated to eliminating autistic people. I no longer wish to have anything to do with Wrong Planet. Delete this account.

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 10:51 pm

putting stuff cold on my stomach or forehead, rocking from side to side on my belly, biting and sniffing my pillow, rocking back and forth holding a bottle full of water letting the water hit my lips gently... theres only some i can think of at the moment.

Jacaen
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Sep 2008, 11:09 pm

Gosh, everyone has such wholesome or poetic comforts...

Mine is... um... sitting on the toilet. Sometimes I spend an hour in there, just reading or drawing, among other things. I guess it's because I'm the only one in the bathroom, it's quiet, the fan blocks outside noise, the hidden presence of water...

When I was in a relationship, I used to like wearing my boyfriend's jackets or sweaters. My first boyfriend had this incredible blue hoodie with the chemical model of caffeine on it. He was kinda chubby, so it was nice and big and comfy on me ^_^. And hugging him when he wore it... so soft and squishy... like those liquid-like pillows you find at Walgreens.

The way my boyfriends smelled was also strangely comforting. The smell of plain shampoo or scented deodorant. Smells in general, actually. Like the smell of a book from the library or the smell of my mom's perfume. Not all smells though... the smell of girl weirds me out. I can't explain it. I hope I don't smell like girl...

Shivan
Raven
Raven

19 Sep 2008, 11:31 pm

Listening to comedy on my iPod at work relaxes me and allows me to focus my concentration at the same time. At home, I like to sit in my recliner with a blanket, my dog and cat in my lap and watch tv (TiVo only) or a movie (DVD only). I can't stand regular television.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Sep 2008, 11:51 pm

Shivan wrote:
At home, I like to sit in my recliner with a blanket, my dog and cat in my lap and watch tv (TiVo only) or a movie (DVD only). I can't stand regular television.

Me, too. I don't watch TV, just DVDs that I get from Netflix or the Public Library.I abhor commercials!

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 1:45 am

I find this forum comforting.
Also,
stretching
dancing
pressing my thumb very hard on my forehead between my eyes
baths
giving myself a pedicure
drinking tea with cinnamon and watching the cinnamon float around when I blow on it
reading
meditating/praying

-Pythagoras

markaudette
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 3:00 am

When I was a kid, I would sit on my Mom's bed, drowsy and half asleep. I would listen to her write as she was always crafting a letter to someone. The sound of her hand rythmicly swishing across the page was hypnotising. There was no other sound. No TV. No radio. Just utter silence and the scratch and swish of her hand as she wrote.

That was one of a thousand things that I liked.

Shelby
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Sep 2008, 4:05 am

Flapping my hands, it's quite fun also to look at a light sideways and wiggle your fingers next to your eyes so the light strobes.

Mindovermatter
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Sep 2008, 7:25 am

40oz oddly relax the h311 out of me sometimes :?

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 8:01 am

people playing with my hair
massage
this random hand moisturizer my friend once gave me have a practically orgazmic relaxation effect on me
the sound of some people talking

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 8:16 am

most of what was mentioned already am find relaxing,but have a few more things for add-
hugging things really tightly
rocking with GFB [cat] on knee,and stroking him.
heavy pressure during being completely restrained.
heavy duty rug [longer than am,too heavy to lift on own]
head banging [controlled hb]
rocking [controlled]
lying outside on the concrete at night-when no one else is out,when there's as little noise as possible and there's bats flying over,it's the cool feeling of the concrete on skin and seeing the bats race up and down that does it am think.
redbull.
going for drives [staff drive the car],am always seem to go in a trance in car rides as long as there's no sirens going off,ambulance/police sirens or other noisy things.
building rows of mega bloks [like lego].
going for walks in woods/quiet places are not going to get lawnmowers,tractors screaming little...kids etc in.
horse riding/RDA hacks [though havent done this for a long time].
lining certain things up.

Quote:
My cat, kneading the blanket at the foot of the bed, and making indirect contact with my feet.

that sounds like the kitty may be doing reiki without even knowing it. :cat:

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!