Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

NextFact
Toucan
Toucan

20 Sep 2008, 5:36 am

its turning into the new "ret*d". ex: thats so ret*d.
i was playing some game earlier and some guy said "quit being so asspie", i was SHOCKED. dont even tell people you have aspergers, no one needs to know, and besides aspie sounds stupid as hell anyways. i am not looking forward to the new "aspie" stereotype so quit calling urselves aspie.

Meowpurr
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Sep 2008, 5:39 am

You make no sense. Please explain.

Are you upset with the word itself? Are you upset with someone being rude to you? Both?

markaudette
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 5:42 am

Mainstream culture is trying to adopt "Aspie" as a way of saying "You 'tard!"

That's what he's saying.

I haven't told anyone outside my family about AS. And it's going to stay that way. I like my Aspie-ness being concealed from people.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 5:50 am

I don't have Asperger's myself, being a 'classic autist' (yeah, real classic), but even on WrongPlanet I avoid using the words 'aspie' and 'autie', preferring instead to spell it out. That being said, folks here (and perhaps offline as well), simply use the word aspie as both an abbreviation and a term of endearment of sorts. Honestly, I don't see a problem with people using it. I tell everyone I meet who I feel should know (when applying for a job, for example) that I am autistic. I think it's better if they're informed, and if they aren't familiar with autism, I'm happy to explain to them what it means. If Asperger's and autism will get more well-known due to the recent push in autists' activism and breakthroughs in research, that's only a good thing. I also don't see a stereotype emerging. The 'stereotype' that currently exists, is there because of a lack of knowledge about spectrum disorders among the populace. A lot of people only know autism from 'Rain Man'.

Meowpurr
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Sep 2008, 5:53 am

sigh.

I get tired of people telling others what they can't say anymore because someone used it in a negative way. So a new word will replace the word used now used to bully and then that one will become negative too.

How about instead of imposing a new term, you take care of the bully and quit taking it out on everyone else who are just innocent bystanders?

It's such a cop out. So you're going to tell everyone here to cater to what you want because you can't handle your own business?

No thanks. Go tell that person to shove it or educate.

Last edited by Meowpurr on 20 Sep 2008, 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 5:53 am

aspie is just an abbreviation of the word aspergers.

using it to insult people is not cool.

AngelUndercover
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Sep 2008, 6:49 am

If we stop using "aspie" in a positive way, won't that make it easier for others to turn the word into something negative?

BelindatheNobody
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 6:51 am

Meowpurr wrote:
sigh.

I get tired of people telling others what they can't say anymore because someone used it in a negative way. So a new word will replace the word used now used to bully and then that one will become negative too.

How about instead of imposing a new term, you take care of the bully and quit taking it out on everyone else who are just innocent bystanders?

It's such a cop out. So you're going to tell everyone here to cater to what you want because you can't handle your own business?

No thanks. Go tell that person to shove it or educate.

^IAWTC.

Flavors of: Nobody. Slytherin. Autistic.

JohnHopkins
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 7:02 am

I never liked the word 'aspie' anyway, really. I think I've used it maybe one other time on here, the rest of the time I just say 'those of us with Asperger's.'

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 7:07 am

Quote:
some guy said "quit being so asspie"

May as well tell you to quit breathing - looks like you picked the wrong company.
Give him a chance to mend his dismissive antisocial ways, and if he doesn't sort himself out, shun him.

Yes the name Aspie could get turned derogatory on a bigger scale at some stage. But they'll do that with any name, if they're going to do it at all.

Actually I'm in favour of the term "Autist" though some say we should always say "person with autism." I can't see the derogatory element, to me it's so close to "artist" which is an admirable label to have.

Just my 2 cents

Mindovermatter
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Sep 2008, 7:14 am

NextFact wrote:
its turning into the new "ret*d". ex: thats so ret*d.
i was playing some game earlier and some guy said "quit being so asspie", i was SHOCKED. dont even tell people you have aspergers, no one needs to know, and besides aspie sounds stupid as hell anyways. i am not looking forward to the new "aspie" stereotype so quit calling urselves aspie.

You guys are the only people I mention me having aspergers to. I noticed people on here get sensitive about words alot. If I dont tell people I have AS they just think im "different" which is better than me having to listen to them be ignorant about a topic they know nothing about. This should go without saying I mean do people really go around telling everyone "hey im an aspie" ???? that doesn't sound too productive to me.????

Last edited by Mindovermatter on 20 Sep 2008, 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mindovermatter
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Sep 2008, 7:16 am

AngelUndercover wrote:
If we stop using "aspie" in a positive way, won't that make it easier for others to turn the word into something negative?

no people will do/say what they want, its up to us to ....................get up stand, stand up for your right, get up stand up, dont give up the fight..........ehhh what were we talkin bout here? ;)

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 7:27 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
Actually I'm in favour of the term "Autist" though some say we should always say "person with autism." I can't see the derogatory element, to me it's so close to "artist" which is an admirable label to have.
Over here in the Netherlands, 'autist' is the neutral word for anyone who has autism. If you have autism, you're an autist. I've been confused in the past about which word I should use when communicating in English with people on-line; whether I should say 'autists' or 'autistics'. I find myself alternating between the two. I always refer to myself as an 'autist' in my native language.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 7:29 am

If people I knew earlier knew about aspergers, and were thinking about it, they would have EASILY said "quit being so aspie" when I gave long answers. went deep into detail, or didn't let a person get a word in edgewise. I wouldn't have taken that as an insult. So when did they use it for YOU?

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 7:32 am

CyclopsSummers wrote:
I always refer to myself as an 'autist' in my native language.

Same here. Autist is the common German word for an autistic person, no matter whether they have atypical, classical or Asperger's autism.

donkey
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 7:38 am

Aspie, like the word Gay can be used in a negative way, depending, like nearly all dependencies,upon the users intent and the receivers reception.
you can have this debate forever.
i have used the shorthand AS or when explicitly stating i use the word Aspergian(s) as it , to me anyway, seems to give a little more dignity to the description.....i can see some guy saying in an insulting manner..."stop being so aspie"
but it would be unlikely to use "stop being so aspergian" with the same impact.
it has a more respectable veneer.