Trapped lion, loose tiger on the prowl near Galveston

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 10:49 am

Here is an interesting story for you that I found on Rocky Mountain News..

Quote:
GALVESTON, Texas — Many years from now, a small group of Hurricane Ike survivors will probably still be telling the story of how, on the night the storm flattened Bolivar Peninsula, they took sanctuary in a church — with a lion.

The full-grown lion was from a local zoo, and the owner was trying to drive to safety with the animal when he saw cars and trucks stranded in the rising floodwaters. He knew he and the lion were in trouble.

He headed for the church at Crystal Beach and was met by a group of residents who helped the lion wade inside, where they locked it in a sanctuary as the storm raged. The water crept up to their waists, and two-by-fours came floating through broken windows. But the lion was as calm as a kitten.

When daylight came, everyone was still alive.

"They worked pretty well together, actually," said the lion's owner, Michael Ray Kujawa. "When you have to swim, the lion doesn't care about eating nobody."

Galveston County officials are also on the lookout for a loose tiger after getting free from an exotic pet sanctuary.

Galveston County Judge Jim Yarbrough put it this way: “Turns out there’s a tiger, and I understand he’s hungry ... so we’re staying away from him.”

Crystal Beach is on Bolivar Peninsula in Galveston County. The area is one of the hardest-hit by Ike.

Richard Jones, a shrimper, said he wasn't afraid of the 11-year-old lioness.

"That little old fella is just as tame as a kitten," Jones said.

After the storm passed, the lion's caretakers fed it pork roast to keep it happy.

National Guardsmen dropping off food and water lined up Tuesday in the choir loft to get a glimpse of the lion, and the soldiers jumped back when the lion looked up from it perch on the altar and snarled.

Jones said he hadn't stepped foot in a church in the 40 years he has lived on this spit of land. And he wasn't ready to call his survival divine intervention.

"I drink beer and chase women, gamble, cuss," Jones said. "You can't call that religion. I'm either too good, the devil won't have me, or I'm so bad the Good Lord won't take me. That's a good toss-up."

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/sep/16/hungry-lion-loose-near-hard-hit-galveston/

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 9:15 pm

The Lion slept that night topic

I never thought I would read about the King of Beasts in a House of the Sacrificial Lamb!!

God has a sense of the ironic!! :lol:

As for the tiger, there is a real zoo out there. :roll:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo