Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

UndercoverAlien
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 5:28 am

who is he hes name keeps popping up i look'd on google it sayd something about a movie but the explenation about it whas un-understandable
so anyone can explain to me whats so special about it and whats it about or if he really existed?

Landaree
Raven
Raven

21 Sep 2008, 5:54 am

Rain Man” (see link).

ryry85
Raven
Raven

21 Sep 2008, 7:22 am

its based on a real guy, a mega savant. the guy has a damaged corpus callosum and effectively has two brains with minimal linkage between. amazingly he can use his eyes independantly of each other, say for reading two pages at once, and remember exactly what is on each.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 8:03 am

Fictional Autistic Savant from the movie Rain Man (the "real" Rain Man isn't Autistic); it's an ok portrayal of someone with such (I personally think Simon in Mercury Rising is a better portrayal, but that's probably because I identify with Simon and his abilities and disabilities, barring the special skills, of course).

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 8:11 am

IIRC, Rainman is the word that Dustin Hoffman's character uses to refer to his brother Raymond, played by Tom Cruise, in the movie Rainman. Hoffman's character is a composite based on three different autistics. One of them works in the library at Perdue University shelving books. Someone I work with had the opportunity to meet him. He said he tends to talk like Hoffman's character, things like, "One thing at a time one thing at a time."

I think some people use the word Rainman to refer to the character Hoffman created, just as some people use Frankenstien to refer to the character Boris Karloff created.

- Emerson

ryry85
Raven
Raven

21 Sep 2008, 8:30 am

yeah you are right. prople are using the name to identify the wrong character

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 9:17 am

MrMark wrote:
IIRC, Rainman is the word that Dustin Hoffman's character uses to refer to his brother Raymond, played by Tom Cruise, in the movie Rainman. Hoffman's character is a composite based on three different autistics. One of them works in the library at Perdue University shelving books. Someone I work with had the opportunity to meet him. He said he tends to talk like Hoffman's character, things like, "One thing at a time one thing at a time."

I think some people use the word Rainman to refer to the character Hoffman created, just as some people use Frankenstien to refer to the character Boris Karloff created.

You have that backwards! Charlie, played by TOM early in the picture talks about an "imaginary friend" he had named rainman! LATER, he finds that his father died and left almost EVERYTHING to an institution. After DEMANDING to know why, he finds that it is because they are taking care of a brother he never knew he had. The brother's name is raymond. Anyway, he decides to kidnap raymond, so HE can get all the money. THAT leads to all the parts where raymond does things like count cards, flash count toothpicks, demonstrate a prodigious memory, and memorize the phonebook, and calendar math. Kim Peek isn't autistic. He has macrocephaly, and the corpus calloseum is basically worthless. He CAN do things like rainman but lacks some of the autistic behaviour.

BTW The things that raymond did showed perhaps 3/4 of the demonstrable autistic strengths, and most of the autistic weeknesses, that are possible.

BTW *I* actually saw the movie! I guess some here never did! Here's is a link:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095953/

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 2:01 pm

MrMark wrote:
I think some people use the word Rainman to refer to the character Hoffman created...

I use it to refer to the title of the movie.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 2:07 pm

MrMark wrote:

Except that "Rainman" *was* the character that Dustin Hoffman created. Raymond was "Rain Man"- it's what the Tom Cruise character called him when he was little.