More Common to have Friends of Opposite Sex?

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Friends of the Same or Opposite Sex?
Most of my friends have been the same sex as me. 36%  36%  [ 27 ]
Most of my friends have been of the opposite sex. 64%  64%  [ 48 ]
Total votes : 75

KiyokosOnlyOnigiri
Raven
Raven

29 Sep 2008, 8:56 am

Well, I guess it depends. I'm into more things boys would like (video games, computers, etc.), however, I still have a girly side. But I have little in common with the people I live with.

I don't have very many friends of either gender. I'm neutral there for that reason.

PrisonerSix
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 10:14 am

Both have always been difficult for me. I'm not interested in sports or anything like that, or talking about how hot some girl who just walked by is, so hanging out with men doesn't work well for me.

Even though I'm a married man now, I've never been able to figure out women. The fact that I've had my share or problems with them over the years doesn't make me want to hang out with them either. Problem started with petty dictator sister and mother with a martyr complex about women, then getting hassled by girls starting in 8th grade and it lasting through high school. Girls picked on me almost as bad as the guys did. Believe it or not, girls can pick on others just like guys can, they aren't all "sugar and spice and everything nice" like my mother tried to make me believe.

If there were a neutral or even answer, I could pick that one, but as the question is written, I cannot pick either answer.

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

irikarah
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Sep 2008, 12:48 pm

Most of my friends are women. It wasn't like that when I was a little kid, so I've always assumed it had something to do with my parents divorce and not having a father figure during my teenage years.

My Mom thinks I have abandonment issues due to that, and my bio-dad bailing early on, so I probably subconsciously think of women as more likely to stick around.

MickeyJones
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Oct 2008, 3:23 pm

i have never had female friends and i'm already a senior in college. then again, i have hardly any friends period

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2008, 4:14 pm

Most of mine are of the opposite sex.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

lazd
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Oct 2008, 4:57 pm

It's not just that most of my friends are male (as am I) but ALL of them are (I don't consider my mother a friend, more like an acquaintance), and as far as I can remember, always have been. Incidentally, that might explain why I have a lot of problems interacting with females. Additionally, I am heterosexual, so this situation is hardly ideal.

princesseli
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2008, 4:33 pm

I do have more guy friends 5 guys and 2 girls but 3 of the guys are gay so I dont really know how much that counts. I probably could have more female friends but I have a tendency to do a lot of things wrong that'll mess up my potential with making more female friends. Guys dont get as bothered as much by my bluntness and my ackwardness.

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2008, 8:44 am

I must say I definitely relate. Definitely. The vast majority of my friends are of the opposite sex, guys. I generally find guys more accepting, more open, easier to hang out with. I often feel like a fish out of water in a group of girls cause there's so much undercurrent going on that I can't decipher. But then again, I have a few very close girlfriends. I love either one on one or one to two friendships with girls, that's really nice and personal, and they tend to be more open and don't play what I like to refer to as "the game" that all girls seem to play around other girls and I really don't get, so I obviously lose miserably.

Helek_Aphel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Oct 2008, 3:14 pm

There's a reason.

Toward socially-awkward males, females will likely sympathize, and males will likely not really notice.
Toward socially-awkward females, males will likely accept more than other females (for the below-mentioned reason), and females will likely give rejection (also for the below-mentioned reason).

Aspies will not pay attention to gender roles. If they ever do, they will realize that they aren't quite what society expects of their gender. From what I've read and seen, there's a high rate of Gender Identity Disorder among aspies.

As a result, male aspies can't really do "guy-stuff" with other males, but can do gender-neutral stuff with females, and female aspies can't really do "girl-stuff" with other females, but can do gender-neutral stuff with males. The aspie meets the expectations of the opposite-sex friends, but not the expectations of same-sex friends.

And yes, I would say that the majority of my friends in the past have been of the opposite sex.

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2008, 8:37 pm

Hit the nail on the knocker! (Think I might be talking in mixed metaphors here, whoops)

That does sound like exactly what it is.

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2008, 12:09 am

Same sex or opposite sex, I just wish I had some friends.

Viddy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Oct 2008, 1:15 am

A good poll, I definitely find I have more friends of the opposite sex.

norwegianman1972
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Oct 2008, 12:53 am

I would think aspie men have more problems than other men to relate to women. I know some women, but my closest friends are men. I think this is most normal with men in general, and even more with aspie men. I have read that Asperger syndrome is an extremely male personality. I guess that means that aspie men have even more problems to understand women than other men.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2008, 2:32 am

I can't really answer using the poll. When I was young, my friends were mostly female; this persisted through high school. When I entered college, it switched and most of my friends were male... though there is more a balance than before.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

HowlingMad1992
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Oct 2008, 5:51 pm

All my mates are guys.

beef_bourito
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 7:47 pm

most of my best friends have been men, but most of my friends have been girls. i find it easier to talk to girls, especially if i don't have any romantic interest in them.