Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Fingolfin
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Sep 2008, 10:05 pm

Hi, about 2 weeks ago I met this girl who works where I work. Well, met isn't the right word to use. I saw her, she smiled, and I smiled back. Over the next week or so I rarely saw her and when I did I was usually to shy to saw anything or approach her. Now, Today I saw her at work again, she smiled n I smiled back.

I suppose the point in this story is to wonder if she's interested in me? Her smile seemed a genuine one, as opposed to the polite smiles I usually recieve from other co-workers.

We'll anywho we happaned to be taking are breaks roughly at the same time and we both went to go look at our work schedule for the next week...Now, I can't remember weather or not I walked up to her when she was looking at her schedule or weather it was the other way around...But I struck up a short conversation with her about our work hours. It sort of ended wierdly n then she walked away to the break-room

My main question now would be how to move foward. I want to know more about this girl. She's very cute, she's shy, and she seems to me to be a little interested in me...

...I've been kinda thinking of this idea in my head. I checked the schedules again for next week and neither of us were working again till atleast next sunday...Fridays I usually go there to pick up my checks and she's working friday afternoon, so i might go pick up my check, and walk around tothe clothing section and hopefully see her and say hi. (To make it look like I was going there to get clothes and not attempt to talk to her)

If so, what are some good ways to start conversations and should I just wave at her if i see her, or go up to her and attempt to make conversation?

Emoal6
Toucan
Toucan

21 Sep 2008, 10:37 pm

Honestly, STAY AWAY FROM THE GIRLS AT WORK!! !! !!

This is a lesson EVERY MAN should learn. Women you work with are not the women you want to be with. ITS VERY RARE to see a relationship spawned from being coworkers, END HAPPILY EVER AFTER.

There are HUGE obstacles to overcome. Here are just a FEW examples.

1) IF(and I do mean if) it gets serious enough, you have to choose together wether or not you'll hide it at work or not.(and you probably wont want to, but she probably will)

2) IF she's intrested in you and vice versa, wait till you spend almost EVERY MINUTE TOGETHER. Remember, most NORMAL relationships have people going to seperate jobs, not the same battlefield. All of sudden things done at work become relational problems. If you even look at a female customer or help another female coworker through a difficult breakdown(some guy dumped them or something) you will be seen as hitting on them.

3) IF SHE'S NOT INTRESTED, you could GET FIRED OR TRANSFERED(ONLY if where you work has other locations and they like how you do your job). Remember, if a girl is uncomfortable, all she has to say is you're staring at her or something and you'll get a warning from your boss if you're lucky.

4) Lets say you do get together and you decide to show everyone else you work with that you're a couple. Now you have the CONSTANT intrusion of coworkers, including little conversations behind your back. You know those snickers and chuckles you hear coming from thier mouths when you walk by, they get louder!

5) Lets say you hide it, what if you slip up and tell a friend coworker you're together? OH KNOW, now she HATES YOU, cause she wanted you to keep it confidential. You're now UNTRUSTWORTHY

And this is just the TIP OF THE ICEBERG.

If you can get past these, go ahead and try. Just dont be all butt hurt when it bites you in the ass. Dont say no one warned you. YOU HAVE OFFICIALLY BEEN WARNED!

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2008, 7:43 am

Keep everything courteous, but don't allow a
romantic relationship to even be suggested by you or her.

With AS, it is all too easy to become fixated/obsessed/infatuated with anyone, so don't think you're alone in this problem. But also, if you want to keep your job, then don't allow it to develop.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2008, 12:28 pm

Emoal6 - you bring up some good points in a most sensationalist manner. Work place relationships are difficult and prone to tremendous stress, unique situations, and frequent problems. Can you meet people at work? Sure - but I wouldn't advise dating them until you work in different places. It can work, and I've seen successful relationships bloom at work.

Based on the OP, though... you say the conversation ended weirdly; showing up randomly to see her after one conversation might not be seen in a positive light. Put the brakes on, and get to know the person first.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!