Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2008, 7:18 am

I spent the entire day yesterday designing a program that allows Autie and Aspie (Medical Alert) cards to be printed over the Internet for free. These cards are handy for medical emergencies, D.W.A. (Driving While Autistic), W.W.A. (Walking While Autistic), and many other situations we may run across. I recommend that all people on the spectrum carry these or something like these regardless of "ability to function":

http://www.plaza1.net/autexample.html

No information entered is stored on site once print page is displayed.

autism
Toucan
Toucan

22 Sep 2008, 10:06 am

Thank you for making this website. I have not seen a card like this before and it will come in handy.

The only thing I got was the error message because I have to reboot my best friend sometimes.

I have two cousins and a younger sibling who have Asperger Syndrome.

Last edited by autism on 23 Sep 2008, 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2008, 3:35 pm

cyberscan,
great idea-medical people will recognise it a lot easier with the emergency/snake logo as well,am going to use one of these but have also been planning on getting a medical ID bracelet anyway.
Am going to add the link to the links list on the blog am have.

how is the card made exactly? am dont understand how to put it together.

autism,
am could think of a few extra things that would suit it for am including self injury [such as headbanging or punching or kicking or biting self],speed rocking,kick out at light touch etc [but being autism-it wont match everyones experience],what about a option to edit that part ['the people with autism..' bit] to own needs and difficulties-would that open it up to more users?

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

earthmonkey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Sep 2008, 4:05 pm

KingdomOfRats wrote:
what about a option to edit that part ['the people with autism..' bit] to own needs and difficulties-would that open it up to more users?

That's what I think...especially the part about "may not understand the law". If that applies then that is good to have, but if it doesn't, then there is no reason to make the officers or whoever any more nervous around you than they would be already.

--G. K. Chesterton, The Aristocrat

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2008, 6:27 pm

ohh god the segregation has begun

I will die before I carry a card that segregates me

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2008, 7:44 pm

This is good feedback. I will incorporate some of these suggestions when I break out the next version. I wanted to put something to gether that covers autism in general hence the word "may" being used many times. Maybe I could do a checklist thingie.

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2008, 8:59 pm

Kilroy wrote:

Actually, this might keep you from dieing. The only reason why I even have this card is so that I'm not beaten up tased, peppered sprayed, etc by our "finest." I have time and time again been mistaken as a druggie and have had my truck searched. Now, I have the card ready when the interrogation begins, and I am allowed to go on my way. For me, the segregation has begun many, many years ago.

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2008, 3:24 pm

i think this is a great card cyberscan, i just made my card, and realized i had no ink in my printer go figure lol. I have something similiar in card form but not medical just explains autism. I love the idea! let me know when you make the next version, maybe ill have ink by then haha, because i def want to print one out!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2008, 3:39 pm

Kilroy wrote:

No need for a card, just use a Sharpie pen to mark a barcode on your forehead.

Or maybe wear a broken triangle on all your clothes... :roll:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

rhs
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Sep 2008, 5:59 pm

great idea for my son who is non verbal

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 12:54 am

In my experience, it's needed, really; if one is standing there banging their head against something due to being overwhelmed, it really helps when you show people who try to "help" the reason for why you're doing such without having to talk, as talking tends to be impossible when one is at said stage.

ThunderFox
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Sep 2008, 1:27 am

earthmonkey wrote:
That's what I think...especially the part about "may not understand the law". If that applies then that is good to have, but if it doesn't, then there is no reason to make the officers or whoever any more nervous around you than they would be already.

Yeah, I would phrase that, tends to understand the law as written, not as practiced.

I've heard of police departments making a sub-department specifically for mental and developmental illnesses, ranging from bipolar and skizofrenia to asperger's and autism to common developmentally disabled people. According to results such departments save an estimated more than twice their expense by reducing unwanted encarserations and lawsuits. I wish every city, and county had such programs.

"Well it's exactly the same . . .
But, Vash the Stampede's idea of 'kin'
stretches way beyond the norm."
-- Trigun Maximum 1; by Yasuhiro Nightow

Featherways
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Sep 2008, 3:59 am

I already carry an autism alert card, from the National Autistic Society in the UK. Remembering I have it with me...that's the problem...

jman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 5:33 am

I think this is a great idea considering I have had some unfortunate run-ins with the police in the past.

Any chance on making this open source?

Last edited by jman on 24 Sep 2008, 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

HD3H
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 5:40 am

Nicely done :D

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 6:45 am

jman wrote:
I think this is a great idea considering I have had some unfortunate run-ins with the police in the past.

Any chance on making this open source?

It is open source. I have written it in C. I use C as my favorite scripting language. It has to be compiled and renamed to autcard.cgi The code can be found at http://www.plaza1.net/autcard.c

The code is a bit messy, but it does the job. It is something I kinda thrown together in an afternoon.