Page 1 of 6 [ 84 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2008, 4:49 pm

I have brought this up in the past, however seeing as this new area has appeared on the boards, I want to ask something. Do you really think it's reasonable that the only person known currently to represent women with Asperger's Syndrome, Heather Kuzmich (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heather_Kuzmich), is a model? Isn't it just rehashing female stereotypes, that even women with a disability should be glad to be represented about someone who is the "idealized" image of women. Thin, wearing makeup, dressing well. Does it bother anyone that while male Aspies are able to find role models for themselves that have accomplished something they can relate to, computers ect. Women get a Top Model contestant, and a movie about a Aspie woman in a romance.

I think that it's rediculous that in a group of people who have delt with adversity, that it's considered wrong to suggest that Heather Kuzmich is not a good role model nor representative of people with Asperger's Syndrome. It's asking too much that we should have a woman who represents us, those of us who aren't a size 2, who don't wear makeup regularly, that spend their time on more important pursuits than walking down a runway in a dress. I certianly have seen alot of sexist comments regarding how Heather Kuzmich is a valid role model for female Aspies, simply because she is good looking. Yet those same men would be upset if let's say someone like Craig Nicholls was considered a ideal male aspie, because he's good looking. I know, it is a matter of the time-old double standards that men should be able to appreciate women based solely on looks, while if a woman does the same in reference to a man she must be desperate or unable to find a boyfriend.

I would like to be represented by a woman who knows her video games as well as I do, by a woman who feels working for justice involved with female rights and Aspies is more important than a TV opportunity. A woman who understands what it's like to be harassed if not outright dehumanized, for not meeting the female ideal. I don't think someone like Heather Kuzmich, who simply got the luck of the genetic pot by having good looks, represents female Aspies. Most of us will never get recognition based on looking like a super model. Being born with good looks isn't an accomplishment, and we should realize that even if Heather did struggle socially on the show, she didn't have to deal with the slings of being called fat, ugly, or worthless. Then again, us women should just be lucky to have anyone representing us at all, and smile and sit pretty? Right?

TheMidnightJudge
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2008, 4:53 pm

Why not glorify autism with beauty?

Meowpurr
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Sep 2008, 5:52 pm

Heather Kuzmich is not just a model. She's also an artist and game geek.

Isn't she in college for Game Art Design. I'm tired of women feeling upset over someone who is pretty representing them. It comes across as catty and jealous.

There is also Temple Grandin if you have problems with the looks aspect. Why do people instantly think that because a female is pretty that she must be stupid? Isn't that a generalization also worth investigating and showing that it's not true?

People often think that if you are pretty, you must not have it as tough as them for not being pretty.

HAH. Not true. ESPECIALLY if you are smart and have talent. So many women like that get rude treatment from both males who have insecurities and think women should be just there to be subserviant to them and women who want to claw their eyes out.

People think that if you are ugly, it's okay to be smart. If you are pretty then you are just a freaky alien that should just go away.

I accept Heather as a role model because aspergers is automatically assumed that because of all the negative media attention that there is a "look" attached and that look is often ugly. So now people think that if you are not ugly then you just must not have aspergers.

There is no set look that superficial people generally want to associate with to know who to avoid.

Heather is

Pretty
talented
smart

Does that mean she deserves to be thrown away for making people feel insecure about themselves? No. Isn't that how most creative or overly logical people are treated?

If you find yourself feeling insecure over superficiality, there are other role models to choose from.

Biogeek
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Sep 2008, 6:18 pm

>>If you find yourself feeling insecure over superficiality, there are other role models to choose from.<<

Is it necessarily insecurity? I have no problem with Heather Kuzmich. In fact, I admire what she has done. I never could have done it, and that's not just because I'm unattractive. However, Kuzmich represents me as much as Sarah Palin does. That is to say, not at all. AS comes in many different varieties and I ain't of the Heather Kuzmich flavor. I much more easily identify with Temple Grandin. So, to the OP, we do have role models more like us. It's just that the better looking girls get all the attention, and that's unfortunate. I agree with you there.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2008, 6:34 pm

If there's any female aspie I can relate to it's Ladyhawke... I don't really know anything about Heather other than she was on ANTM and she's American. The few episodes I saw her in I really couldn't relate.

Mage
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2008, 7:32 pm

I think both Heather Kuzmich and Temple Grandin are great role models for young autistic women, for different reasons but they're still positive sources of inspiration.

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2008, 7:38 pm

There is no one size fits all 'model' for people with AS. I find the suggestion odd.

Is the OP expecting everyone to ignore anyone with AS unless they fit certain parameters, so only non-autistics and autistics who fit their preferred stereotype are permitted to be famous?

I do not consider Heather Kuzmich a role model for me in any way. But I do not consider her an embarrassment or otherwise unfit representation of someone characterised by AS. Further, if someone wants a role model, and Heather happens to fit that role for them personally, I see nothing wrong with that.

Meowpurr
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Sep 2008, 8:51 pm

Biogeek wrote:
>>If you find yourself feeling insecure over superficiality, there are other role models to choose from.<<

Is it necessarily insecurity? I have no problem with Heather Kuzmich. In fact, I admire what she has done. I never could have done it, and that's not just because I'm unattractive. However, Kuzmich represents me as much as Sarah Palin does. That is to say, not at all. AS comes in many different varieties and I ain't of the Heather Kuzmich flavor. I much more easily identify with Temple Grandin. So, to the OP, we do have role models more like us. It's just that the better looking girls get all the attention, and that's unfortunate. I agree with you there.

Temple Grandin is going to have a movie about her life. Is that not enough attention?

Meowpurr
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Sep 2008, 8:51 pm

Mage wrote:
I think both Heather Kuzmich and Temple Grandin are great role models for young autistic women, for different reasons but they're still positive sources of inspiration.

agreed.

Biogeek

22 Sep 2008, 11:12 pm

Meowpurr wrote:
Biogeek wrote:
>>Temple Grandin is going to have a movie about her life. Is that not enough attention?

Different kind of attention. Hard to explain. But I look forward to the film about Grandin's life.

Ishmael
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2008, 3:10 am

I don't get the problem. Why do people need role models? If you don't like her; don't bother.
Unless you're complaining about the impact she may have in forming the ideas about Aspergers to the uninvolved...?
That I can appreciate; painting perhaps a false image to those who don't observe more than face value.

Even so, I am a guy... so...

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2008, 5:17 am

I'm glad to see someone attractive representing autism.

I think the cliche that we are all ugly or geeky needs to go. I think the general public thinks of autistics as dumpy or beards and glasses.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2008, 7:07 am

Noone represents me but me.

violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2008, 11:09 am

TheMidnightJudge wrote:
Why not glorify autism with beauty?

There are other forms of beauty, besides physical beauty. The beauty in being able to understand code, something which seems completely impossible to me. The beauty in being able to help others understand forms of technologies like computers, or making a TV show for kids like Pokemon that helps them understand more of their world.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2008, 11:16 am

Postperson wrote:
I'm glad to see someone attractive representing autism.

I think the cliche that we are all ugly or geeky needs to go. I think the general public thinks of autistics as dumpy or beards and glasses.

those are AS stereotypes rather than autism,autisms visual stereotypes usually get based on traits or intelligence,such as 'looking ret*d','looking locked in','constantly rocking','always chewing on their clothes', 'looking like a pyscho' etc.
for both autism and AS,am have actually heard more say that spectrumers [all forms] are more beautiful,it might depend on who is saying it.

Heather cannot really represent one entire group [especially the entire spectrum] due to she only having one experience/one level of as,she cant represent all females with AS,all aspies,different forms of autism,different functioning,ability etc. because of how different each group is as well as the spectrum as a whole,am dont think it is needed to have well known reps for ASDs anyway as they dont really do much for awareness other than make people pity them or rant about them because of something they did.
All autists are reps for autism or as-whether well known or not.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2008, 11:18 am

Meowpurr wrote:
Heather Kuzmich is not just a model. She's also an artist and game geek.

Isn't she in college for Game Art Design. I'm tired of women feeling upset over someone who is pretty representing them. It comes across as catty and jealous.

There is also Temple Grandin if you have problems with the looks aspect. Why do people instantly think that because a female is pretty that she must be stupid? Isn't that a generalization also worth investigating and showing that it's not true?

People often think that if you are pretty, you must not have it as tough as them for not being pretty.

HAH. Not true. ESPECIALLY if you are smart and have talent. So many women like that get rude treatment from both males who have insecurities and think women should be just there to be subserviant to them and women who want to claw their eyes out.

People think that if you are ugly, it's okay to be smart. If you are pretty then you are just a freaky alien that should just go away.

I accept Heather as a role model because aspergers is automatically assumed that because of all the negative media attention that there is a "look" attached and that look is often ugly. So now people think that if you are not ugly then you just must not have aspergers.

There is no set look that superficial people generally want to associate with to know who to avoid.

Heather is

Pretty
talented
smart

Does that mean she deserves to be thrown away for making people feel insecure about themselves? No. Isn't that how most creative or overly logical people are treated?

If you find yourself feeling insecure over superficiality, there are other role models to choose from.

Alright, I'd hardly call someone who looks like Heather a "geek", perhaps nerd would be more appropriate. See I've learned there's a heiarchy, nerd, geek, then dork. Perhaps if Heather did something like, do a spot on G4. Review a few video games, something that us less attractive gamers could respect, there's something. I think it's unfair to suggest she should be immune from criticism, because she makes us look good to NTs. I want to see a woman who represents someone like me, sorry if that comes across as selfish. For the record America Farerra did an ad for Nintendo's Play for Me campaign, and she's plus-sized and a gamer. That's someone who I can feel represents me, being with Asperger's Syndrome or not.

Perhaps if Heather Kuzmich pulled a Fiona Apple, and went out speaking against the negative aspects of the modeling industry, how it teaches women and girls they only are worthy as people if they look a certain way. That I could get behind, and that I could respect. Sure, it's biting the hand that feeds you in a sense. She is pretty talented and smart, and I have a hard time seeing that fit in with a horribly shallow industry such as modeling. If you want to advocate for people, you have to meet them where they stand. I think it'd be really kick a$$ if Heather did a photo shoot with no makeup, no airbrushing, wearing just street clothes and said "This is me, you can take it or leave it." That says Aspie to me.