Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Coadunate
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2008, 9:20 pm

Sokane Girl wrote:

Quote:
People have gotten off of jury duty because of their young kids and the fact they couldn't get a baby sitter. You can't take them to court because of their short attention span and the fact they get disruptive when bored and you would have to take them out in the hall. Then you would miss part of the trial.

You must have some nice judges where you are. Here in Los Angeles County you would have a hard time getting excused for having kids; at least for all the judges that I have encountered. I barely got away with the skin of my teeth earlier this year. It’s getting worse each year. I may get nailed next year.

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2008, 9:28 pm

The fact that I have ADHD as well may get me off if it ever came to that. I also have some specific phobias and that could possibly get me off if it ever happened.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2008, 9:49 pm

In my county, it is pretty dang difficult to get out of jury duty, and the one time I was on the jury the judge basically told the lawyers they were taking the first twelve unless they had really, really good reasons to excuse someone. I was sure I had a conflict of interest, but the judge didn't see it that way, and having been seated as one of those first twelve I was picked.

What our county WILL do is reschedule to better dates. But you had better have your calendar out when you make that request. Still, I remember filling out certain bad dates because of my job, years ago when the first qualification request came, and they have never sent me a summons during one of the requested black out dates.

I did get my son's nanny out of it as unqualified, however. To begin with, she didn't understand the summons. Then, why I tried to explain what she would be expected to do, she was horrified, because she felt she couldn't judge innocence or guilt, only God could. The more we talked, and the more I tried to explain the process and her part in it, the more I realized she really couldn't do it without hours of education on it. I basically wrote all that up, included notes about her level of formal education and language competency, and sent that in.

The conflict to me is that a jury is supposed to be "of your peers." But when you don't include people of all different types, it isn't exactly "of your peers" anymore.

Oh, and it would help a lot if the pay was enough for lunch, parking, and childcare. That it isn't is really a crime.

I guess the question to ask yourself is if you CAN do it but don't want to, or if you really do not feel capable. If it's the later, you should be able to get excused.

Jacaen
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Sep 2008, 9:57 pm

I'm also afraid that I won't understand what's going on. I have a lot of difficulty understanding people when they talk for long periods of time, and the slightest accents sound like a foreign language to me.

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2008, 9:58 pm

I wouldn't make a good juror. I have too many bad memories of lawyers, judges, court rooms, etc. Just the thought of going there can make me physically ill. God help anyone who would entertain the thought that I could handle jury duty. They'd witness all kinds of odd behaviors emanating from me.

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2008, 10:02 pm

Coadunate wrote:
Sokane Girl wrote:

Quote:
People have gotten off of jury duty because of their young kids and the fact they couldn't get a baby sitter. You can't take them to court because of their short attention span and the fact they get disruptive when bored and you would have to take them out in the hall. Then you would miss part of the trial.

You must have some nice judges where you are. Here in Los Angeles County you would have a hard time getting excused for having kids; at least for all the judges that I have encountered. I barely got away with the skin of my teeth earlier this year. It’s getting worse each year. I may get nailed next year.

About a year after I left the LA area, I got a THREATENING letter that made it CLEAR that they would NOT accept any financial hardship, etc..... I sent them a letter saying that I could NOT make it and I was NOT a state resident, etc.... Had I not left, I might have had to serve on the Jury! I had gone 35 years without a day of jury duty. I had perhaps 5 summons, and that was the only one where they said they would NOT let me off.

BTW I could have had kids that could have STARVED because of a financial hardship. THEY DON'T CARE!

Douglas_MacNeill
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2008, 10:03 pm

I had to specify that I had an autism
spectrum disorder as a disability incompatible
with jury duty, but I did get excused from it.

23 Sep 2008, 10:53 pm

Coadunate wrote:
Sokane Girl wrote:

Quote:

I heard that from other people about them being excused from jury duty because of their kids. It was actually on here when a few people said it.

If you can't get off jury duty because of your kids and you can't find a baby sitter, day care is an option. You be screwed if you can't afford it. They charge you per kid per hour.

I wonder what parents do if they can't afford daycare and can't find a baby sitter?