PETA wants Ben and Jerry's to use breast milk

Page 3 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 4:17 pm

Zara wrote:
Why is this organization still around? It's full of idiots. They keep doing these stupid things so who keeps giving them money?

Brain-Dead rich people like Pamela Anderson

One-Winged-Angel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 4:22 pm

ShadesOfMe wrote:
That is absolutely disgusting. :eew: :eew: :eew: :eew: :eew:

How?

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 5:50 pm

They are a bunch of idiots. Ben and Jerry's gets their milk from local dairies, and the cows don't get any hormones at all. They're actually good to cows in that way. Dairy cows in general were bred to produce milk, and it's cruel not to milk them twice a day because they get engorged.

Also, not every woman is able to breastfeed, let alone produce extra milk. Besides, I don't think Boobie Blueberry sounds very appetizing to me.

release_the_bats
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 6:50 pm

As with any use of human-derived products, I wonder about the risk of disease transmission. There are always new diseases cropping up that are as yet undiscovered, and known ones that are not fully understood.

Any sharing of bodily fluids is best limited to life-or-death situations such as blood transfusions and organ transplants - in which things still go wrong despite numerous precautions - and very close, trusting situation such as feeding babies and doing what it takes to make them.

One major reason why cannibalism is taboo in most cultures (even in many species of animals) is because there is a risk of disease transmission. You can get scary diseases from eating members of your own species that you would not get from eating another species. This could apply here.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 7:03 pm

One-Winged-Angel wrote:
ShadesOfMe wrote:
That is absolutely disgusting. :eew: :eew: :eew: :eew: :eew:

How?
Breast milk is for babies. It is not for older people. The only reason it exists is to nourish babies. Just imagine the poor women who would work for them, hundreds of them, all day having the nourishment ment for children pumped out of them to go into an ice cream product! It's disgusting! and it's more then that, it's mistreatment of women!

Chocobo
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Sep 2008, 8:55 pm

pheonixiis wrote:

I despise PETA and the ASPCA.

What's wrong with the ASPCA?

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 9:28 pm

ShadesOfMe wrote:
twoshots wrote:
I coulda sworn a week or two back in NY Post's "Weird but True" section there was something about a restaurant in Europe that used human milk for all manner of stuff. 8O

Yeah, The article mentions a restaurant in Sweden where they use breast Milk for everything.

I suppose one of these days I'll have to start reading the articles before commenting...

It was Switzerland, BTW.

Zara
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 10:51 pm

Chibi_Neko wrote:
Zara wrote:
Why is this organization still around? It's full of idiots. They keep doing these stupid things so who keeps giving them money?

Brain-Dead rich people like Pamela Anderson

I thought the celebrities were being blackmailed into supported them.... :roll:

Come check out my photography!
http://dmausf.deviantart.com/

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 11:10 pm

Zara wrote:
I thought the celebrities were being blackmailed into supported them.... :roll:

Paul McCartney was, but I would not be surprised if Pam was all on her own in joining them, she has the brain of a butterfly.

release_the_bats
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 11:58 pm

Chocobo wrote:
pheonixiis wrote:

I despise PETA and the ASPCA.

What's wrong with the ASPCA?

It is true that PETA and the ASPCA are very different organizations. Their goals and activities are quite different. Of course that does not make it illogical for a person to dislike both of them.

Personally, I have plenty of reasons to take issue with PETA. I think the ASPCA does a lot of good, although I don't agree with all of their positions and policies, and I don't know enough about them to know how corrupt they may be.

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2008, 12:28 am

Oggleleus wrote:
To ease the suffering of cows PETA wants to increase the suffering of women? Sounds like the VP of PETA majored in stupidity and minored in ignorance.

Joking here, but the name of the restaurant in Sweden that uses breast milk is called "SEKA".

Only 2 things could happen if Peta's plan took hold

1) The majority of dairy cows would be slaughtered (contrary to popular belief you can eat meat from dairy cows - anytime one of our cows was injured too badly they were taken to the butcher shop who charged certain cuts of the meat for the butchering and gave us the rest of the meat)

2) The majority of dairy cows would be in intense pain because they would not be slaughtered but the famers couldn't afford to run the milking equipment to care for them twice a day

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt74894.html

jrknothead
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2008, 12:48 am

I really have a hard time believing that the Peta people really care about animals... their primary business seems to be collecting money and running advertisements, and the animal shelters they run are no more humane than state run facilities...

And as far as cows are concerned, I truly believe that if we didn't eat them and use them for their labor, they would have become extinct by now, just like the vast majority of large mammals worldwide...

their survival as a species is virtually guaranteed solely because they are tasty and easy to care for...

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2008, 5:13 am

SPCDavid wrote:
Ishmael wrote:
*sigh*... looks like I have to go on yet another PETA killing spree...
Just let me call my SAS mates... *loads up night vision, body armour and M1A5*

You have friends in SAS?

I think he's confusing fantasy with reality.

n4mwd
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2008, 5:41 am

Chibi_Neko wrote:
"PETA's request comes in the wake of news reports that a Swiss restaurant owner will begin purchasing breast milk from nursing mothers and substituting breast milk for 75 percent of the cow's milk in the food he serves," the statement says.

I can find no evidence on the benjerry.com web site that supports this claim.

If you heard it from peta, then its probably a lie.

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2008, 5:44 am

n4mwd wrote:
Chibi_Neko wrote:
"PETA's request comes in the wake of news reports that a Swiss restaurant owner will begin purchasing breast milk from nursing mothers and substituting breast milk for 75 percent of the cow's milk in the food he serves," the statement says.

I can find no evidence on the benjerry.com web site that supports this claim.

If you heard it from peta, then its probably a lie.

Why would Ben and Jerry put statements on their website about what restaurant owners in switzerland are doing? I wouldn't consider something attributed to Ponderosa a lie just because I couldn't find mention of it at www.burgerking.com - would you?

But anyway, the swiss governemnt stopped the restaurants plans: http://www.nydailynews.com/money/2008/0 ... breas.html

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt74894.html

Last edited by Triangular_Trees on 25 Sep 2008, 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2008, 5:48 am

Why would anyone do this? Human breast milk is suitable only for human infants.