Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 11:22 am

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/09/23/arct ... index.html

Oh...Oh...Crap...This horrifies me!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 11:29 am

Welcome to the reality of Nature. Animals eating animals is just their way of life.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Ishmael
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 11:35 am

Well, whilst global warming is a media myth - the numbers don't add up, but for some reason most scientists who mention the obvious facts are ignored... There is, however, a very real temporary climate shift effect that is a constant for earth - any palaentologist could show the evidence of that before breakfast, and no amount if torching big cars and stoning people who disagree will make it go away. This scenario with the polar bears has happened consistantly throughout history as the climate shifts. Nothing can be done.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 11:40 am

Not merely a media belief - thousands of the world's leading climatologists believe human activity is contributing to warming.

The Evolution of Societal Consciousness:
Phase 1: there is no evidence for global warming (~1970-2007)
Phase 2: ok, ok, the planet is warming, but there is no evidence that humans are the cause. (2007-????)
Phase 3: Oh, s**t!!

Mage
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 11:59 am

Ishmael wrote:
Well, whilst global warming is a media myth - the numbers don't add up, but for some reason most scientists who mention the obvious facts are ignored... There is, however, a very real temporary climate shift effect that is a constant for earth - any palaentologist could show the evidence of that before breakfast, and no amount if torching big cars and stoning people who disagree will make it go away. This scenario with the polar bears has happened consistantly throughout history as the climate shifts. Nothing can be done.

I'm wondering what science journals you subscribe to that the majority of studies come out against climate change?

Reodor_Felgen
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 12:08 pm

Just because the UN climate panel believes in global warming doesn't mean that most scientists do. There have been many times the current CO2 level in the atmosphere without the temperature increasing.

Only 3% of the CO2 is actually caused by humans, by the way...

Fuck. This will override the swear word filter.

Mage
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 12:28 pm

Again, what science journals are you reading that most scientists publishing are coming out against climate change?

silentbob15
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 12:42 pm

Ishmael wrote:

Ishmael, you are totally F#*@ing clueless, your from a country that is mostly a rusty old desert, I lived most of my life north of 60, and I have seen the changes in the climate, in my lifetime, here's a list of things I have noticed
1. Spring come's sooner, ice is gone from lakes and rivers 2 to 3 weeks earlier
2. Southern species are encroaching northern areas, never use to see Robins north of the Arctic Circle
3. Invasive insects, the pine beetle is destroying large areas of forest in Alberta, B.C & Yukon, takes 3 weeks of -30c to die.
4. Land erosion, areas where the permafrost has melted, is causing the land to slump, or cause a landslide.
5. Strange weather, Canada has had some unusual weather events, tornadoes, ice storms, +20c weather mid winter.
6. Glaciers retreating though out the Rockie Mountains, also a diminished snow pack, which means lower water levels in the rivers.
Heres a fact I have learned about global warming, people south of the 49 parallel don't know s**t about this issue and should stop listening to Fox Noise to get their facts.

P.S
Polar bears by nature do resort to cannibalism, the males will kill and eat any smaller polar bears, regardless of ice or weather conditions, they are a top predator and need to kill to live.

Last edited by silentbob15 on 24 Sep 2008, 1:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Ishmael
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 1:01 pm

Uh, silentbob15, perhaps you should act as in your name and be silent about countries you've never visited except in TV land. By the way, just so your up to speed - crocodile Dundee was an intentional misrepresentation aimed at Americans, okay? It isn't real.
Australia is first-hand experiencing CLIMATE SHIFT, a-hole.
Were on water restrictions, there are massive environmental changes.
But it is a naturally occuring thing! The world is not a perfect sphere!! Temperatures fluctuate by minute levels according to thousands of different factors that a relatively massive changes to our limited lifespans! The levels of CO2 produced by humans is insufficient to cause effect of this scale. It's not going to go away anytime soon! People have to stop thinking all they need to do is "think green". There is no such thing as global warming! It's a compound fantasy of anectdotal evidence and media/political hype.
Our ancestors evolved in higher C02 levels than now.

It's not a problem to be solved; it's a fact of life.

silentbob15
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 1:12 pm

You still don't know s**t about climate change, since you haven't seen the effects. Did I call you an as*hole, no, I just called you out on what you said on global warming, your facts are not based in reality. I expect an apology, Skippy.
P.S Doctor Who Sucks

Ishmael
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 1:30 pm

silentbob15 wrote:
You still don't know sh** about climate change, since you haven't seen the effects. Did I call you an as*hole, no, I just called you out on what you said on global warming, your facts are not based in reality. I expect an apology.
P.S Doctor Who Sucks

Havn't seen the effects?! Facts not based on reality?! Are you high?!
Alright, pal - come here, come to my continent. Tell Australian farmers who've had to abandon lands as big as Texas because nothing grows anymore, they havn't seen the effects. Tell the people of Perth and Adelaide, who may yet have to abandon their cities, creating the worlds first ghost metropolises, that we havn't seen the effects. Tell the fisheries, the industries, we havn't seen the effects. Go ahead. Go on, do it. Since you are so sure that it doesn't affect anybody in the southern hemisphere, tell the australian people. I'll be sure to give you a little wave as the mob lynches you.

In the real world - you know, the one where we don't form our opinions through mass hysteria, the southern hemisphere will be the worst off.
Learn. Basic. Climatology and geography, pal.

silentbob15
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 1:41 pm

Australia is on the bloody Tropic of Capricorn its supposed to be hot, guess what it not supposed to be hot in the middle of December here in Canada. Pull you head out of the sand or where ever else you have it, because you still don't have the facts.
Don't believe everything you hear from Rupert Murdock, hey doesn't he own Fox Noise By Crikey!

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 1:46 pm

Ishmael your wrong in my short time on this planet I have saw some radical changes in climate.

1.) Snow is not falling in my area like it should, last year we had almost none just a few inches. In the past it snowed like crazy.
2.) Over the past 15 years it has gotten much drier, causing more frequent droughts.
3.)Food has gotten more scarce for wildlife.
4.) Its getting much hotter.

Now the average motor gets up to 400 degrees fahrenheit and lets say their are 2,000,000,000 motor vehicles on the road a day. Those 2,000,000,000 motor vehicles give off 800,000,000,000 degree's of heat a day, which is trapped in the earth's atmosphere by CO2 and other such green house gasses.

Ishmael
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 1:51 pm

silentbob15 wrote:
Australia is on the bloody Tropic of Capricorn its supposed to be hot, guess what it not supposed to be hot in the middle of December here in Canada. Pull you head out of the sand or where ever else you have it, because you still don't have the facts.
Don't believe everything you hear from Rupert Murdock, hey doesn't he own Fox Noise By Crikey!

Who the hell is rupert murdock?! What are you on about, kid?
You make no sense. "by crikey". Are you British now..?
The seasons are mixed up in Australia, moron.
You might want to, I dunno, VISIT the country before making assumptions about the weather? Do you even know how big and varied Australia is? Does the word megadiverse mean anything to you? Learn basic science, idiot.

Oggleleus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Sep 2008, 2:18 pm

Try to google "Roy Spencer" for a different view on climate change. You may be very surprised especially when you find out what this guy manages. Oh, and I graduated from this school, so Go Chargers! Best Hockey team in the south. :lol: Really.

There are plenty of other views in journals and papers but do not get any coverage by the cookie cutter media. I think if you want to make an educated assessment about this climate change, global warming or whatever the catch-phrase is today, people need to be open to other points of view along with facts that back them up instead of blindly pushing a political agenda or assuming changes around them are directly and only being driven by man.

The UN was tasked to look at the "Man-Made" causes for Global Warming not "Any" cause! Additionally, the assumptions made by the scientists VIOLATED too many mathematical rules and laws when doing statistical analysis and 4 independent statisticians showed that the outcome could not be supported by the data and assumptions. Along with the fact that many of the same UN scientists that were tasked to perform this analysis have also signed a petition (10,000+ signatures ) debunking much of what came out of the UN study leads me to believe politics are playing a much bigger role in all of this.

If we are to believe the AlGores of the world then why on earth (pun intended) are we going through a cooling period now? I'll make a prediction, get ready for a cold winter this year!

Science is not advanced by politicians and scientists in unison reaching a "consensus", politics are.

Peace

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 2:18 pm

Bottem line Ishmael, you need to live up north to know what global warming is really doing, you can't see the effects as much were you live the same way we do.

The harsh judgements you are making really have no ground beneath it.