Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Greyhound
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 12:02 pm

I have a question to ask, but first I want to know you opinion on the following:

You are working in a small office at work. you like helping people with IT problems. A collegue says (to no one in particular) that every time she types a 'd', an 's' appears.

What do you do?

EDIT: Explanation is now posted a few posts down. Thanks for your replies :)

Dodgy circuitry! Diagnosed: Tourette syndrome. Suspected: auditory processing disorder, synaesthesia. Also: social and organisation problems. Heteroromantic asexual (though still exploring)

Last edited by Greyhound on 24 Sep 2008, 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 12:05 pm

LOL
what you do is tell her to dial 911.

patternist
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 12:05 pm

I would think she's probably typing the wrong letter on accident. They are enxt to each other on the keyboard.

I would laugh out loud and probably make some smart alecky comment that no one paid any attention to.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 12:07 pm

Well, the first thing I would do is to go watch her type an "d" to make sure she is actually hitting "d". And also see what happens when she presses "s". Then I would make sure the keys are in the right place on the keyboard. Maybe she took them off to clean them, and put them back in the wrong spot? I would also ask her if she spilled anything on her keyboard. Other than checking keyboard preferences (make sure she didn't actually set it to some international keyboard), I would be stumped.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 12:11 pm

'Your keyboard has a problem. I don't fix keyboards.'

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 12:15 pm

Who is she?

They are right next to eachother so it is probably a touch typing problem.

Greyhound
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 12:39 pm

Thanks for your replies. What I did was I went over to her computer and typed 'dsdsdsdsds' and the keys seemed to work fine. She didn't say anything and just sat there looking at me so I explained that I was trying to help her because she had said that her keys weren't working properly. She said something like, 'yes, I know. I was only joking. You are so easy to wind up, the temptation is almost irresistable'. The other person in the room seemed to know that she had only been joking. I felt silly, but how was I supposed to know she had been joking? :?

Dodgy circuitry! Diagnosed: Tourette syndrome. Suspected: auditory processing disorder, synaesthesia. Also: social and organisation problems. Heteroromantic asexual (though still exploring)

KiyokosOnlyOnigiri
Raven
Raven

24 Sep 2008, 12:49 pm

Don't worry... I wouldn't have known either.

See, many people at the "institution" where I live tend to joke around with me, and I react negatively even after I find out it's a joke. Also, as a matter of fact... another girl here has been all like "Why is she [me] on a chatline when I can't be? If I can't chat, neither should she!" She does not understand what the teachers and I have been trying to say - I have permission from the powers above us to be on WP, as it's considered a support group.

But back to you. Like I said, I would not have known what was going on either. I thought it was a real issue...

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 12:54 pm

I would move the D Key to the s spot, and the s key to the d spot. someone probably moved them as a joke.

Greyhound
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 1:08 pm

My first thoughts were that either the keys had been swapped (unlikely) or that something was jammed between them in a certain way that caused 'D' to produce an 'S' but not vice versa (more likely, especially as we all eat at our desks lol).

A quick glance assured me that the problem was not due to the former (they were in the correct places) and I could see nothing stuck, but I wanted to make sure, that's why I started testing them.

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 1:11 pm

:? hmm...i would have done that too. i don't really see the hilarity in that, though.

tinky's WP Mod email account: [email protected]

you may tire of the world but the world will never tire of you

pheonixiis
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 1:22 pm

Greyhound wrote:
Thanks for your replies. What I did was I went over to her computer and typed 'dsdsdsdsds' and the keys seemed to work fine. She didn't say anything and just sat there looking at me so I explained that I was trying to help her because she had said that her keys weren't working properly. She said something like, 'yes, I know. I was only joking. You are so easy to wind up, the temptation is almost irresistable'. The other person in the room seemed to know that she had only been joking. I felt silly, but how was I supposed to know she had been joking? :?

Meh. People are strange. Who knows why they think pushing peoples buttons (ah ha ha) like that is funny.

I would probably have done exactly what you did, and been just as mystified when I realized they were playing a joke.

-Walt Whitman

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 1:37 pm

Best thing to do then is to chuck in a big sarcastic laugh, thats what I do when I dont find it funny, I have been tricked at times and have no idea why they would find it funny.

__biro
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Sep 2008, 1:55 pm

ShadesOfMe wrote:
I would move the D Key to the s spot, and the s key to the d spot. someone probably moved them as a joke.

This is what i would have done

HD3H
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 2:03 pm

Dont see the joke seems silly to make such a boring joke just because somebody trust other ppl. i have the same problem.
Twice today with another joke though.

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 2:44 pm

Ah, dhit!

But a dog knows his boy can go wrong