Page 5 of 5 [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2008, 4:37 am

both my parents are NT, and do not force me to act more like an NT person would.

ThatRedHairedGrrl
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Walking through a shopping mall listening to Half Japanese on headphones

19 Dec 2008, 8:46 am

Both my parents were NT, although my mother almost certainly had OCD (and it's gotten far worse as she got older) and I suspect also NPD.

They were older than many parents at the time, and my mother especially expected me to conform to the idea of 'normal' as it was for her growing up in the 1940s. I was a teen in the 1980s, and things were very different. So apart from AS, I also had the problem that she was actively trying to get me not to fit in with the modern world. She regarded me as weird for perfectly normal teen behaviors like wanting to put posters on my bedroom walls. And, I got a lot of flak for wanting to spend time alone in my room; she always wanted me to be more 'sociable' (translation: sit watching TV with two people who couldn't converse with me because they didn't take anything I said seriously).

The writer Dorothy Rowe, said somewhere that when she was a teen they were 'middle-aged at 12', and I really think that's what my folks expected of me. Now I am middle-aged, I look back astonished at how staid I was back then.

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2008, 9:25 am

The more I think about it, the more I think they are "weird" and not normal. My parents are very old-fasioned, especially my dad, when he says "Back in my day, we did *blah* *blah* *blah*.". My mom had a rough childhood, so I don't blame her for anything. My dad had a wonderful childhood, but his mom (my grandma) is one critical S.O.B. My dad *COULD* have AS, but doesn't exactly exhibit many of the symptoms.

I like to think he has as*hole's Syndrome.

PrisonerSix
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2008, 10:23 am

Alicat1989 wrote:
its not my mum that does it my mum accepts me for who I am and tells me constantly to not change for anyone but myself.

My brother on the other hand is a prick who was popular at school has never faced idiots judging him and has frequently said to me 'why can't u be normal for once?'

unfortunately I find myself asking the same question about me.

I faced that from my sister, she never had social problems and I always did. When we changed schools, she slid right in, but I didn't. Our parents always held that against me wondering why I couldn't be more like her, even though they at one time did always say I should just be who I am and not worry about others. That eventually went by the wayside unfortunately.

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2008, 10:43 am

Yeah well my "NT" brother didn't exactly say those things to me, but he got sick and tired of defending me if I was bullied since I wasn't at the time able to stand up for myself. Because of that, he has held a resentment towards me.... and I used to be very jealous of him, he was able to fit in easily, and if he was picked on he was able to stand up for himself (he was short, so some kids picked on him because of that)... but I sure as hell am not jealous of him now.. he is married to a crazy lady and has an extremely defiant son! My life now is easy compared to that.

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2008, 4:17 pm

My parents are neurotypical (NT) however my dad does have some AS traits but my mum is very NT though.

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 12:18 am

Irulan wrote:
My mother unfortunately embodies the worst traits of widely understood neurotypicality, having an aversion for things out of the norm - her recent "pearl of wisdom" (said in a voice expressing sincere suprise I ever would be able to think any different) is "I don't like abnormal things and it's NORMAL", even if this "abnormality" is only a small quirk of one's personality, some unusual way of perceiving things, untypical inclinations etc.

Do your parents accept your behaviours? Or are they still complaining you should change and try to adapt to the normal world more?

your mom sounds like the dursleys from harry potter lol

BastetsEye
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Dec 2008, 8:31 am

My mum I suspect has AS (which probably explains out very strong bond, most girls are daddys girls, I'm totally a mummys girl).

My dad has some Aspie traits, but then he's been diagnoses as having Anti social personality disorder, and I understand there is a mild similarity in some symptons. Dor the most part he has very NT traits.

For instance, he complains when I talk to much about my obsessions and yet when I don't want to talk he accuses me of the silent treatment.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 5:09 pm

ThatRedHairedGrrl wrote:

They were older than many parents at the time, and my mother especially expected me to conform to the idea of 'normal' as it was for her growing up in the 1940s. I was a teen in the 1980s, and things were very different. So apart from AS, I also had the problem that she was actively trying to get me not to fit in with the modern world.

My mom was born in 1954 so the methods of upbringing back then didn’t apply to me, being born thirty years after her. Her life as a teen was quite different than mine also for this reason that she came from a poor farmer family whose house was divided into two parts one of which was a cowshed. Standards of hygiene then were also pretty different, for a long time I wasn’t allowed to wash my hair more often than once a week nor shave my legs because mom didn’t do it as a teen. Generally, I can say majority of people from her generation I know, especially country people are more or less like that.

According to this Petunia Dursley – like ( lol, this comparison fits) woman’s views, having any kind of neurological disorder is extremely shameful even if she basically admits I have SOMETHING. She’s going to be really pissed off when I go for a diagnose one day – a “disabled” daughter who crawled out of her womb – no way :lol: .

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 5:23 pm

Fayed wrote:
Dad has some AS traits, Mom is pretty NT, shes pretty tollerant for things "abnormal" but yea still NT.

Ditto. That pretty well discribes my situation. My mom was an NT neurotic. There was schizophrenia on my mom's side and I had an aunt who had to be institutionalized for schizophrenia.

My dad might have had some Aspie traits but he learned to disguise them. That was necessary since holding a job during the Great Depression was a critical skill. I am a post Great Depression child and I am now in my mid seventies.

ruveyn

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2009, 12:01 pm

I think my father has some, er, aspergeresque traits, but it would be quite false to regard him as an aspie, he is very neurotypical in many regards.

As for my mother, well no I would hardly think that she is anything but NT.

Hovis
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2009, 1:53 pm

My father is NT and continually insists that everything he does or thinks is 'absolutely normal', but in fact he obsesses on this to a point where it's quite abnormal. He is very frightened, I think, of anything that he perceives as being different from the mainstream, and the idea that he himself might be engaging in a behavior or having a thought that is somehow 'not normal' is something that he doesn't even want to contemplate.

My mother is NT in the respect that she does not have AS, but she has various psychological problems (she does, however, at least admit this).

13 Jul 2009, 3:09 pm

No. They are NT but they are not very NT. Wait, one of them has ADHD so he isn't very NT. Both my parents have aspie traits but my dad has finally learned to take control over his sports obsession. Now he is able to not watch all the games on TV all day. He just picks which game he wants to see and watch it.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2009, 3:30 pm

Both my parents are NT. I'm the only Aspie in my family.

SpongeBobRocksMao!