Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

mysterious_misfit
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Sep 2008, 5:23 pm

I'm angry at every teacher I've ever had. Didn't they notice that I never spoke? Did they think it was OK that I didn't talk? Didn't they notice that there was something wrong?

Josie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2008, 6:33 pm

me too!! ! I had a teacher who was very abusive towards me. My parents never pulled me out of that school- still havent forgiven them.

Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Sep 2008, 6:46 pm

I have wondered about this as well.
But I guess it's important to realize teachers are just people too.
They may have taken a big responsibility, but they're still just people.

Had a talk about this with family and they came to a pretty simple conclusion:

Quiet kids don't cause trouble, the loud ones do.
Loud ones get attention and they're the ones whose parents are contacted about all sorts of things.

It's not right, but it makes sense in a way.

25 Sep 2008, 7:02 pm

mysterious_misfit wrote:
I'm angry at every teacher I've ever had. Didn't they notice that I never spoke? Did they think it was OK that I didn't talk? Didn't they notice that there was something wrong?

Mmmm maybe they all had AS too and didn't pick up on it. :wink:

LadyMacbeth
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the girls toilets at Hogwarts, washing the blood off my hands.

25 Sep 2008, 8:09 pm

I think that all the time. Makes me so angry.

dosh
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Sep 2008, 7:38 am

In the last year of my school, every pupil was normally made a "prefect" (this is England we're talking about) and given responsibilities. I was the only one who wasn't. The worst thing is that none of the teachers had the courtesy to talk to me about why I was excluded. I know now of course! There was almost no understanding of these conditions back then, and there probably still isn't in many schools.

HD3H
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2008, 7:43 am

I was lucky my first teacher noticed all these things and helped me work with them so i would talk more

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2008, 10:19 am

In 11 years of education only one teacher noticed that I had AS and understood it. Ironically she was a PE teacher (I seem to have a natural hatred of all PE teachers) but was also the school SENCO. All the other teachers treated me like I was a worthless freak. :cry:

HereComeTheLizards
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Sep 2008, 10:52 am

My educators made me the man I am today, and I'll never forgive them for it.

I have hundreds of tales about my shoddy treatment by the education system. One in particular was my 4th Year Junior teacher, Miss Warwick. She took exception to me not wearing a belt, and so dragged me up in front of the entire class and tied string around my waist. That was 22 years ago, and it still makes me angry. Teachers today have been sued for less.

AS was not widely known of in the UK in the 1980s, and I was dismissed as naughty and stubborn despite my intelligence, and treated accordingly. I eventually came to the conclusion that I would be persecuted by those in authority no matter what I did. I still feel that to this day.

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2008, 11:07 am

Josie wrote:
me too!! ! I had a teacher who was very abusive towards me. My parents never pulled me out of that school- still havent forgiven them.

in order to evolve and grow you have to forgive yourself and the other after, there is nothing worse than fostering hate inside which will grow like a tumour, or later when you are older turn into a heart disease :(

stripey
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Sep 2008, 11:55 am

I still have a severe hatred for all teachers now.

LadyMacbeth
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the girls toilets at Hogwarts, washing the blood off my hands.

26 Sep 2008, 12:09 pm

I had 11 years of reports saying "Has the potential to be brilliant", "head in the clouds", "easily distracted", "immature (in terms of understanding what was being taught, chances are they just didn't explain it well enough for my literal mind)", "easily upset", "argumentative", "bone idle", "should be doing better". "easily led", "rude".

I regularly corrected teachers' spelling and got punished for it. I regularly avoided eye-contact when being told off or asked a question, which in turn made the teachers think I was just rude and insolent. I regularly got punished for not doing homework, but that was because I needed motivation at home, which I didn't have. Now I know if I were diagnosed earlier, learning support would have most definitely helped me achieve the best I could do. Now, I'm 21, working part time in a bar, with little qualifications, a uni drop-out because I wasn't diagnosed until after the fact.

I have a lot of resentment for the education system.

Mikomi
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2008, 1:47 pm

I can't even begin to explain how bitter I am about my past.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2008, 1:51 pm

[quote="Mikomi"][/quote]
I love you tag line Mikomi, couldn't agree more.

MemberSix
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2008, 7:03 pm

LadyMacbeth wrote:
I had 11 years of reports saying "Has the potential to be brilliant", "head in the clouds", "easily distracted", "immature (in terms of understanding what was being taught, chances are they just didn't explain it well enough for my literal mind)", "easily upset", "argumentative", "bone idle", "should be doing better". "easily led", "rude".

I regularly corrected teachers' spelling and got punished for it. I regularly avoided eye-contact when being told off or asked a question, which in turn made the teachers think I was just rude and insolent. I regularly got punished for not doing homework, but that was because I needed motivation at home, which I didn't have. Now I know if I were diagnosed earlier, learning support would have most definitely helped me achieve the best I could do. Now, I'm 21, working part time in a bar, with little qualifications, a uni drop-out because I wasn't diagnosed until after the fact.

I have a lot of resentment for the education system.

I think the lucky kids who get diagnosis and assistance probably benefit as much from the recognition and acceptance of what they're having to cope with.

The hardest thing about AS is that no matter HOW hard you try, it still isn't good enough.
If that isn't enough to get a person down, I really don't know what is.

And in many ways, it feels like a punishment.
I mean, what kid would ask for that ?
And moreover, what have I done to deserve it ?

A deep sense of injustice is a prominent part of the Aspie landscape.

I sincerely hope that if there is a Heaven, then we get the benefit of all that futile effort we put in.

Luck is not about curricular or financial success, it's about where you're born on the spectrum.

If only we could WORK our way up the spectrum.

Surely that'd be a whole lot juster.

Rainstorm5
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2008, 7:15 pm

When I was in school, AS was unheard-of. They just thought I was shy and quiet. I am still angry with my early teachers for teaching me "New Math," though. I believe it's the reason why I don't truly understand basic math concepts to this day.