Thousands flock in Bangladesh to see dead 15.2 kg baby

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2008, 10:04 am

http://www.physorg.com/news141635094.html

Quote:
Parents of a 15.2 kilogramme (33.5 pounds) baby born in southern Bangladesh were forced to hide their newborn this week after thousands of villagers flocked to see the infant, doctors said Friday.
Doctor Pabitra Kumar Kunda, who delivered the baby by Caesarean section on Tuesday, said the child died 10 minutes after birth.

"The baby had little chance of survival. Its sex organs had not developed properly. It was the length of a normal baby but its chest, belly and other important limbs were very big," he said.

"We knew the baby could be big because the mother's belly was very swollen. We thought it could be twins or triplets, which is common in Bangladesh."

Kunda said thousands came to see the dead child at the hospital in Tungipara, 100 kilometres (89 miles) southwest of the capital Dhaka, forcing medical staff to hide the corpse on hospital grounds.

"News got out about the giant baby and thousands of people came to see it. We didn't know what to do so we hid the baby until they stopped coming," Kunda said, adding he had never come across such a big birth weight in his career.

According to Guinness World Records, the heaviest baby born weighed 10.8 kilogrammes (23 pounds 12 ounces) in the United States in 1879. That baby died 11 hours after birth.

The heaviest surviving baby weighed 10.2 kilogrammes (22 pounds, 8 ounces) in Italy in 1955.

Last month, police were forced to provide protection in the southwestern Bangladeshi town of Keshobpur after a baby boy was born with two heads, attracting crowds of up to 150,000 people.

The baby, named Kiron, died two days after he was born because his parents could not afford to take him to a hospital where better medical help was available.

That is sick. How dare they flock to see a dead baby as theough it is a side show attraction? how DARE They cause this mother more grief!

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2008, 11:00 am

Gawking Oddiction topic

There is a human tendency to stare at something out of the ordinary in a schadenfreude sort of way. It is the idea behind the freak show, watching a public hanging, the peep show,the internet beheading, gawking at car accidents, etc. I think it has something to do with projecting that part of us onto another, as if to say "I am not anything like you. Do not include me with your ilk." It is the cruel side to the human being, and we are not always aware of it. Many will overcome this need to gawk, when it is realized it is not very caring.

(The ignoring of human suffering is another related phenomenon, the wish not to get involved. :evil: )

There is also another theory that it is a guilt thing, misplaced dysfunctional sympathy. But staring at a dead baby does nothing to help the grieving family, so this is a useless act of condolence.

A tragic loss. :( Leave the family in peace.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Justthatgirl11
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Sep 2008, 11:27 am

The poor family. Just let them grieve in peace.

Pook
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Sep 2008, 4:13 pm

Amen. Just let them be for pete's sake.

jrknothead
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2008, 4:23 pm

I'm getting an image of Ahmed the camel jockey packing up his family in a caravan to travel miles just to see this spectacle... those people really have nothing better to do with their free time?

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2008, 3:49 am

Seriously, is there absultyly nothing else to do there?

silentbob15
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2008, 5:19 pm

Thats common in Asian country's, I am not to sure why they do it, morbid curiosity.