Ethernet port not working in XP among other problems.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

RaceDrv709
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2008, 1:04 pm

My ethernet port won't work in my XP Pro/Ubuntu 8.04 dual boot. The port works fine in Ubuntu, but I can't get it to work in XP. I am also trying to install the drivers and utilities for my MSI KT880 Delta motherboard in Windows, but the computer thinks some files are missing and won't look in subfolders for the driver. I can't find the CD and it's impossible to get help. Dad won't help me and some people on IRC think my GeForce6800GT has network drivers, but that's because they think the board is a micro-ATX. It's an ATX form factor with a VIA chip in it. I desperately need help because I only have 53 days till I am required to activate WIndows.

Last edited by RaceDrv709 on 30 Sep 2008, 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2008, 1:27 pm

If you can, roll back the drivers.

Baring that, try to find the drivers at the manufacturers website.

RaceDrv709
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2008, 1:36 pm

Can you at least help me with the ethernet problem?

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2008, 2:33 pm

well, what are you getting? error messages, timeouts, what?

there's always the mighty command 'ping'. Go to Dos, then type

ping \\www.wrongplanet.net, and see if it gives you a response. Since Ubuntu works, we know that it's not the hardware, or the connection, so obviously it must be the drivers.

Then, there's always Googling the error code. Cut and paste the error message to a file, then boot up in Linux and log onto the web there. Paste it into the search box, and watch the results pour in. Surprisingly, you can come up with a lot of the stuff you're looking for, on the various forums out there. Getting the answer for free...well, that's a little harder.

It's a start.

RaceDrv709
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 5:50 pm

I just get a blank page in XP. I am in Ubuntu typing this response because it detects my ethernet port. I can't go to DOS because I am not running anything below XP. There is also the install disk which I have lying around my house somewhere.

t0
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 2:31 pm

RaceDrv709 wrote:
I just get a blank page in XP. I am in Ubuntu typing this response because it detects my ethernet port. I can't go to DOS because I am not running anything below XP. There is also the install disk which I have lying around my house somewhere.

I would start by right-clicking on "My Computer" and then going into the Device Manager. See if the Network Adapter is in the list of devices and if Windows thinks it's functioning normally.

As for DOS:

Start -> Run
Type cmd in the box and press enter

Now you're in DOS.

>ipconfig /all

will show you the network setup.

V001
Toucan
Toucan

01 Oct 2008, 9:39 pm

Given how less secure windows xp is how is it not working a bad thing ? I will guesss many of your fav inline only program run in windows.
Is it network card or a onboard lan chip on the motherboard ? If mb the updating i would guess is messing things up. If it's a card try getting the drivers for that card More data can only guess with the little i have.