Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Perambulator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Sep 2008, 9:37 am

I'm considering taking it. What're the effects on you?

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2008, 9:41 am

yes, it's been a life saver for me.

I had no negative side effects whatsoever. the first week was a nightmare, I lost apetite, felt nauseaus and disoriented but later it was all bliss, even the withdrawal wasn't so bad.

I heard a lot of people on Zoloft get tired quickly and sleep more than usual but I had no such side effects, in fact my sleeping pattern went to almost normal after a few months of using Z.

I'd definately recommend it but you might not tolerate it as well as I did.

Perambulator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Sep 2008, 10:20 am

Can't believe I never considered it 'til now.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2008, 12:35 pm

maybe you didn't need it that much up until now.

I went on it first at 21 and was amazed at the difference it made. pharmacology is really freaking amazing with those little happines pills, I reckon everyone should take them lol

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

28 Sep 2008, 3:09 pm

drugs are evil 8O

The former things have passed away."

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2008, 3:39 pm

kxmode wrote:
drugs are evil 8O

but you wouldn't want to live in a world devoid of all pharmaceuticals now would you?

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2008, 3:57 pm

If you don't have to, then don't; but if what the drug is supposed to do either can't be done without it or would be extremely difficult, then consider taking it. You have to balance risks and side effects against possible benefits.

I took Zoloft for depression; it only caused drowsiness, so far as I can tell. But I've never really benefited from antidepressants beyond "I don't want to kill myself anymore"--I still had the depression. I switched to Lexapro, which I think might have helped; but it took so long that it's hard to be sure... I think I had to recover naturally--time, change in cognitive processes, and decrease in stress. Last Feb. I tapered off the Lexapro (it took forever) because the side effects were causing more problems than the last remnants of the depression were; I started going to counseling instead, which has been quite helpful because my counselor is a practical sort of person who doesn't mind that I want to focus on solving problems and changing things instead of sitting there talking about feelings without any real plan of action...

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Aquamarine_Kitty
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Sep 2008, 4:37 pm

Yes I take Zoloft.
It really helps me a lot. I feel fine right now but I know that if I wan't taking it I would feel severly physically sick and not care about keeping my body safe from harm. It's a HUGE difference.
But there was some terrible side effects the first couple months. There were those few days where I was nauseated, disoriented, and too weak to barely move, and I was having extreme mood swings the whole time.
I think with how great I feel now, it is worth it, barely.

TrojanPower83
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Sep 2008, 6:19 pm

In all honesty, I'd avoid this drug if you're bi-polar or have problems with borderline personality disorder. I was on Zoloft when people thought I had OCD (an obsessional interests of AS... Basically Asperger's but misdiagnosed as OCD). I took it and I had intense fluctuating mood swings that were up and down during even a day!. I have borderline personality disorder, and when I was on Zoloft, my mood swings in the day caused me to cut myself deep enough to have to go to the hospital to get stitches. It was a horrible experience. Zoloft is a terrible drug, worst side effects... makes you sleep all the time and also makes you gain weight... I HIGHLY DON'T RECOMMEND IT!! !!

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2008, 9:59 pm

That's generally true for antidepressants and bipolar, isn't it? I know many bipolar people ARE given antidepressants; but in many cases it can just turn it into a mania or mixed episode, which needless to say is just as bad as depression. (BPD and bipolar have in common the quick mood changes... though in BPD they tend to be externally rather than internally triggered.) There are alternatives, though--anticonvulsants and mood stabilizers, IIRC, plus obviously lithium.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

chocoholic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Sep 2008, 11:05 pm

Yes I take it, and it helps me a lot with my anxiety. The only side effects I had when I started it were drowsiness and decreased appetite, nothing dramatic. This went away after about a month or two as my body got used to it. After that I didn't really feel like I was taking anything, other than having decreased anxiety, of course. :wink:

I'd definitely recommend it to someone who has really bad anxiety and it isn't alleviated by trying other natural methods first.

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

28 Sep 2008, 11:16 pm

drugs are evil!! !

The former things have passed away."

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2008, 1:09 am

Drugs are evil!! ! :lol: The avatar really makes it funny.

I took zoloft and it helped with anxiety. But back then I was avoiding the real issues in my life. I wish I had not taken it and explored my depression and panic attacks more honestly rather than try to make them stop. I believe we go through hard times to build character and sometimes we are on the wrong path and that causes stress and panic attacks.

This book is invaluable:
http://www.mythicjourneys.org/newslette ... eview.html

Stress is a part of living I guess. Some supplements that help are vitamin B supplement and Rhodolia.
Exercise and meditation works for me. But, we don't really want to be happy machines, do we?

-Pythagoras

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2008, 11:56 am

I take Zoloft for depression. Sometimes it helps and other times it doesn't. That's how all the medicines I have been on are like. But anti depressants and anti psychotics make you fat. Boy am I fat! I used to be the skinniest one in my family and at times in my life actually underweight. But now I am so fat, that it is unbelievable. I am not going to tell you my weight though because it is so embarrassing. In the past 2 years alone I have gained around 60-80 pounds. That is when I started taking medicine. When I'm really depressed though I lose weight because I eat very little. Now my lifespan is probably shortened due to the pills by making me eat all the time and gaining so much weight. I agree, drugs are evil! But at the same time, I can't live without some of my pills because without them, I would probably be dead.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2008, 12:16 pm

Yeah, but I don't know if it does anything.

It's no Valium in relation to its anxiolytic effects, and I don't know if it helps my "depression" or not (suicidal ideation and the feeling of apathetic despair are the norm for me).

*Shrug*

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2008, 1:14 pm

I take it. It basically saved my life.