Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2008, 1:14 pm

I take it. It basically saved my life.

ThatRedHairedGrrl
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Walking through a shopping mall listening to Half Japanese on headphones

29 Sep 2008, 3:34 pm

I took Lustral for a couple of years, on and off, which I think is the UK equivalent. (The chemical in Zoloft is also sertraline, am I right?)

Anyway...It didn't totally change my life on its own. No unpleasant side-effects, but no blissing-out either. It was one thing that helped me through a period of general crappitude in my life, but it was only one of several things.

Cheap music and spirituality were also involved in me coming out the other side of that time alive, and are still more or less responsible for keeping me going now, sans that particular chemical. So, I'm not convinced it's all that for me, although it might have amazing effects for some others.

Julia_the_Great
Toucan
Toucan

29 Sep 2008, 6:26 pm

Used to, but it gave me seizures. Talk to your MD, but I actually think Prosac is better. It has a longer half life and lighter withdrawal symptoms. When I used to not take Zoloft for one day, I would start shaking all over, and I once punched somebody.

WillMcC
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2008, 6:53 pm

Been on it for years and years now. It's probably not as effective anymore, but I sometimes go through the withdrawal symptoms (i.e. depression) if I miss a few days

chocoholic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Sep 2008, 9:25 pm

Julia_the_Great wrote:
Used to, but it gave me seizures. Talk to your MD, but I actually think Prosac is better. It has a longer half life and lighter withdrawal symptoms. When I used to not take Zoloft for one day, I would start shaking all over, and I once punched somebody.

Prozac was my absolute worst nightmare. About 10 years ago, I only took it for less than a month and in that short period of time, I was bouncing off the wall like a ping pong ball. And if I took it a few hours late, I would crash and get excessively sleepy. The withdrawal was no picnic either; I was just as irritable and hyper withdrawing from it as I was on it (ironic, huh?).

Prozac=Hell

violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2008, 9:33 pm

I take it, never had any problems with it.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 2:03 am

FireBird wrote:
But anti depressants and anti psychotics make you fat.

I lost 3 kilos in my first month of taking Z, then my appetite came back but I never gained anything above my starting weight. it's definately NOT a rule.

Perambulator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Sep 2008, 2:50 am

I was under the impression that Zoloft is unique among anti-depressants in that it doesn't lead to weight gain.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 3:00 am

It can speed up one's metabolism, which makes one eat more.

blamo
Raven
Raven

30 Sep 2008, 12:59 pm

I take the Planet Z with little side effects....however, I will not give advice as to whether YOU should take it. Why? Because everyone's chemistry is slightly different. Your doctor is the one you should be talking to.
Besides, if you don't like how you feel, you can always try something that works for you. I had to go through several meds before I found the right one.

Perambulator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Sep 2008, 5:49 pm

I found out Zoloft isn't available in liquid form or chewable form here in the UK. I can't swallow tablets.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 6:11 pm

What about the "crush the tablets and swallow them in applesauce" method? Zoloft doesn't have a coating you need to worry about. And, anyway, if you figure out a way to take pills, you won't have to worry about buying expensive liquids every time you need a pain killer for a headache.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

waltr
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Oct 2008, 9:17 am

Great for some, deadly for me. Everyone is unique and reacts to modification of their neurochemistry differently. Be cautious.