Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 4:24 pm

i saw this thing about how vampires were impoosible due to the expecential rate they would multiply, but it assumed that all bitten by vampires became vampires. just how many times will we recyle stories of creatures of the night?

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 5:17 pm

Quote:
just how many times will we recyle stories of creatures of the night?

um.... 42 ?

Actually - if you were to read Brian Lumley's Necroscope books - say, the first 5, you'd get a vastly different appreciation for them.
In those books, they come from .... mushrooms.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 5:21 pm

Well of course they're not real, silly lad. But there are legends from all over the world spanning all sorts of cultures that include a creature that feeds on the blood. Check the Wiki listing, it's quite fascinating.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 5:36 am

There are people who claim to be real vampires, but to them it is not contagous, it is suposed to be birth and there are suposed to be two types. Those that drink blood where they say they physicaly need to consume blood along with normal food, and the psychic vampires who suposidly get others life force mentaly and are suposed to cause the feeling of feeling sad and weak.

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 10:32 am

I know that some believe a vampire can choose to turn another into a vampire like them so that could explain it. I mean yeah vampires are most likely not real but hey their could be truth in the old legends but then again they could be tales to scare people.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 10:54 am

The old vampire tales were a bit different today, they usualy involved evil spirits, usualy it would be if an animal whent over the body, especialy if no ceremony, then an evil spirit would hitch of the animal onto the body. The body would often reanimate a short time afterwards and go around normaly, but some would go back and forth between the crypt. The most common tale was that they were no longer that person but instead the beastly spirit that is in it, and it was thought that the vampire could also shape shift into animals. I dont know if they thought that it was changed from vampire to vampire, as the myths either had only one vampire at a time or even an entire area of them that would prey on travlers. One of my favirout picture I saw on this showed three female vampires seducing three travlers into letting there guard down.

One of the things I hate the most is how we seem to conect them to bats, bats are barely anything like vampires, and a conection was not established until discovery of vampire bat and was spread by the novel Dracula. In fact they were usualy showen as probably being more cat like, and was one reason why cats were kept far away from the dead, a vampire who turned into a cat was suposed to have two tales. I love having these talks about vampires as they are one of my big interestes. The latest cases of vampires brought a huge amount of scienests to the spot but not much has hapend except for the Cheb???? I forgot its name but it is a beast that means goat killer and has continued sightings.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 11:24 am

I get confused with those who die when bitten while others live forever?

I guess it depends on how fatal the bite.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 11:35 am

The Carpathian Vampire legends claim that the bite of the vampire does not convert the victim to vampirism, but if the victim either drinks the blood of a freshly-fed vampire, or the vampire's blood somehow enters to body of the victim, then the victim immediately 'dies' and becomes a vampire.

I think Ann Rice picked up on this detail.

But it's all fiction, anyway.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 11:48 am

Oh yess the whole needing the vampire blood to enter the others body to convert, why didnt I think of that before. Well the underworld look at vampires being a disease thing was interesting but follows a simular as the modern, but I think it was Buffy that had the needing to enter there body, and could be a look at a dissease, where blood or is often needed to spread.

Though if these were real, they have either died out or time taught them to be more discrete, though I have seen that there are lots of people out there who consider themselves real vampires. They even have forums for discusing things and they pick up people to feed off by ofering it as a type of fetish.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 12:01 pm

Interesting I love a lot of the Anne Rice books, there's some stuff I could without but the history she puts into her books is astounding.

As for fictitious, what do you mean? THEY'RE EVERYWHERE!! 0:

They're out to get us left and right and there's nothing we can do about it since the Slayer is gone!! ! :(

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 12:08 pm

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 12:12 pm

LOL, I was just thinking something similar to that since they're also shapeshifters.

And what shape would be the most common? A sweet lookn' kitteh who has been invited to a home. No one would ever suspect..

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 12:22 pm

psychic vampires exist

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 1:13 pm

Kilroy wrote:
psychic vampires exist

Evidence, Please?

I'll file it right next to the Bigfoot photos...

barber
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 1:31 pm

teresting i have an old dvd documentery of a few auther taklin abuot wheree the miths come from origanaly from and how the were formed it kinda interseting you know

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 1:36 pm

barber wrote:
teresting i have an old dvd documentery of a few auther taklin abuot wheree the miths come from origanaly from and how the were formed it kinda interseting you know

English, Please?