Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2008, 4:09 pm

i'm speaking of the american version. i tried renting the british version but they sent me american version :?. really eager to see it since i've seen extras :D

anyvays, i love show because of its amazing quirkiness and crazifullness. creed rocks my socks! tobey's my second favorite character because he's so awkward.

tinky's WP Mod email account: [email protected]

you may tire of the world but the world will never tire of you

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2008, 6:06 pm

I'm sure the US version is ... erm... fine ... but I can't bring myself to watch it now that I've seen the British one.

Why does the US feel like they have to remake all foreign movies and TV (including British and Australian ones) so that they can "own" them?

There was a rumour going around about a new US version of Doctor Who - not just that they're filming there but that they were going to do a US reboot. I hope not - after what the US did in their one and only attempt in the past.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2008, 9:22 pm

because the studios are under such pressure to guarantee profits (they get sued by shareholders if the profits aren't high enough), that they don't dare take chances. Since it's a hit in Britain, why not buy the rights and shoot the lawyers?...;)

I wish I could see more of the British version of Life on Mars...;)

dbzgirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Oct 2008, 9:29 pm

I love "The Office'! My favorite characters are Pam, Jim, Dwight, Michael, Creed, Kevin, Tobey, Stanley, Phyllis, and Kevin. I think that Dwight might be an aspie.

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2008, 9:55 pm

Did anyone see the US attempt to make Red Dwarf.

Their choice of Lister was incredulous... did they actually watch the UK show before casting?

http://www.reddwarf.co.uk/features/history/red-dwarf-usa/

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2008, 9:56 pm

Haven't seen the US one.

UK one FTW.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 6:13 pm

The British make quite a lot of nice TV comedies. I've downloaded quite a lot off of Bit Torrent.

Try to watch Extras, which also stars Ricky Gervais (who was the boss in The Office).

Ledvia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Oct 2008, 12:48 am

yes i watch the US one, its great....

i tried watching the UK version, couldn't get through the accents..lol...i'd probably like it if i could watch it with subtitles.

xanniexx
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Oct 2008, 12:37 am

OMG! I love the Office! That show is sooooo funny! And a lot of shows aren't funny to me but this one is.

DocStrange
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2008, 1:36 am

The US version of one of a handful of UK to US show conversions done well (other examples include "All In the Family" and "Sanford and Son"). In fact, the US version of "The Office" is now completely incomparable to the UK version due to the addition of new characters and how long it's run.

However, I hated the pilot of the US version. It tried too hard to be the UK version. Also, if Ricky Gervais likes it, it's good enough for me.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2008, 9:52 am

I watched the first episode because I read that the cast members were animal lovers-and cat lovers in particular. However, I found the show quite boring.

DocStrange
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2008, 2:27 pm

9CatMom wrote:
I watched the first episode because I read that the cast members were animal lovers-and cat lovers in particular. However, I found the show quite boring.

Of the US version? Like I said, the first episode of the US version is probably the worst episode of the whole show.

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2008, 2:38 pm

I love the Office. Dwight and Creed are probably my two favorite characters. I don't want them to overuse Creed by anymeans, but I wish we'd get a couple Creed-centric episodes. I also used to really like Ryan. Up until season 4 when he became an ass, he was the character I most identified with.

Loreic
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Nov 2008, 11:17 pm

I haven't seen the British one, but I like the American one just fine. I also agree about Dwight maybe being an aspie, or maybe it's just his twin he absorbed XD.

jread
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Dec 2008, 9:35 pm

It's by far my most favorite show :)

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2008, 1:11 am

Maybe The Office was remade in US because life in a British office is probably different than what we would relate to in the US? I like The Office because it reminds me of people I used to work with (yes in an office setting). The characters seem so real as I know someone like almost everyone in the cast. We also had the same human resources BS meetings that they feature on Office. :lol:

Oh and the first time I was introduced to The Office was when my supervisor made us watch 2 hours of it at a pizza party. Uh yeah and one of those episodes was the very tacky one about sexual harrassment and erm maybe wasn't a very polite thing to force people to watch. Well I just thought that was ironic.