Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2005, 11:05 am

A transparent, high definition monitor screen, the size of an eye glass.

How expensive are they? Who makes them? How heavy are they and how hot do they get?

sandra3
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Nov 2005, 2:58 pm

i have no idea what that is.

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2005, 9:30 am

A monitor with a transparent screen. Meaning you could see an image of perhaps this forum, but it would be slightly translucent so you could see behind it.

Pikachu
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2005, 10:08 am

sounds like something out of a sci-fi series than something that actually exists

Allegedly away with the fairies for 6-7 years

TheOrangeMage
Toucan
Toucan

20 Nov 2005, 12:49 pm

Projector + Sheet of Glass

Easy. Might cost a good bit. You'll also need the right kind of glass to get the proper appearance...which I don't know what kind.

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2005, 9:50 pm

I need to produce glasses which weigh almost nothing and can support an image like a computer monitor does. The idea of projecting the image onto the glasses crossed my mind, but it may not be the best way.

toddjh
Toucan
Toucan

23 Nov 2005, 9:10 am

I don't really know much about this kind of stuff, but could you focus on something so close? I sure couldn't read a piece of paper that close to my eyes. I don't think it could be something as simple as projecting an image onto a pair of glasses.

Jeremy

Twitch
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Nov 2005, 12:59 pm

The cyberpunk in me always dreamt of something like that. Wherin one could access the net whilst walking down the street. It would great to have MapQuest in front of my eyes.

Of course I also want my own mobile controlled environment too. I'm thinking something in the lieu of a lightweight space suit. Great for blocking out unwanted stimuli.

rpm2004
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2005, 1:43 am

The idea has been toyed around with by several companies until they discovered it is horrible for the eyes

common sense:your mother tells you if you sit to close to the tv it will hurt your eyes,having a tv less than 2 inches from your eyes is BAD

jackd
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Dec 2005, 10:20 am

Yes, these do exist, if you want to learn more, do some searches for "augmented reality". A good example is the Shimadzu Dataglass, projects the equivalent of a 13" 800x600 display at a 24" distance with an SVGA signal. As rpm2004 mentioned, there do seem to be some problems with potential eye damage, on the safety page it says not to use for longer than 50 minutes with at least a 10 minute break. Here's and article from the EETimes on building Heads-Up Displays into glasses, here's one on AR Pacman and here's one on AR Quake. This design is a more modern HMD from Olypmus and finally, a comparison of many different models of 3d goggles.

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2006, 5:14 pm

This is exactly what i need.