Who do you think won the VP debate?
Biden 84%  84%  [ 27 ]
Palin 16%  16%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 32

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 6:41 am

What it came down to, tracking the last 4 or 5 weeks, first speech was positive - and I made the mistake of thinking we pretty much had a female Giuliani type character. Watching the Gibson interview, she didn't do terrible but I was starting to realize my projection wasn't exactly on. Hearing what she said with Couric scared me, not because she was wrong, but she was starting to show that really, she wasn't hardened or refined. Last night - I cringed through the first half of the speech, she did get it together a bit toward the second half but still; IMO it wasn't enough, to either mend the blemishes on her reputation or get any of the voting base back. Looks like McCain will have to really drive home these next couple debates, otherwise I'd think its almost certain coupe de gras on his campaign.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 8:55 am

Dox47 wrote:
(btw, shooting an automatic rifle sideways without using the stock at or above head level like that is known as "Mogadishu Offhand Stance" by those in the know) :lol:

Can you actually hit anything with that stance? I'd be impressed...

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 9:33 am

Objectively, Joe Biden won. But, he did not completely trounce Mrs Palin, as many of us anticipated. So, the point spread wasn't wide enough to consider Joe Biden the winner, after giving her a handicap for inexperience and lack of education. That fact that she held her own and kept on yacking throughout the evening makes her the winner.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 11:48 am

People who were already committed to one candidate or the other don't count - they filter what they see through their own values and expectations. The real question is "who did the undecided voters think was the winner?"

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 12:22 pm

ToadOfSteel wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
(btw, shooting an automatic rifle sideways without using the stock at or above head level like that is known as "Mogadishu Offhand Stance" by those in the know) :lol:

Can you actually hit anything with that stance? I'd be impressed...

Hit anything, yes. Ohh, you mean hit what you where aiming at, oh my no. For the full affect you really need to use only one hand so that the rifle jerks all over the place spraying bullets everywhere like an out of control fire hose. It was my friends in the military that also shot competitively that told me about that term, it came into use after the Black Hawk Down incidents in Somalia, because that's how many of the Somalis ("Skinnys" in their parlance) shoot their AKs. Apparently, the technique is widespread in Africa, since my picture was of a Liberian all the way on the other side of Africa doing the same thing. Iraqis do something similar as well, but they like to remove the entire butt of the Kalashnikov for some reason, the better to get sand and grit in the works I suppose. Perhaps that's why they've turned to bombs...
[/thread hijack]

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 12:36 pm

Who won the debate?

Me, because I don't watch non-events.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 12:57 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
Sarah Palin was very patronizing to the audience and acted like a well-trained dog, but she was probably able to connect emotionally with the audience a little bit better.

I disagree with that. I do not emotionally connect with vapid, slightly-condescending, moose-hunting politicians.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 1:24 pm

Phagocyte wrote:
NeantHumain wrote:
Sarah Palin was very patronizing to the audience and acted like a well-trained dog, but she was probably able to connect emotionally with the audience a little bit better.

I disagree with that. I do not emotionally connect with vapid, slightly-condescending, moose-hunting politicians.

It's not about whether you in particular emotionally connected with her; it's about her speaking in a way that would lead most people to be more emotionally connected.

Joe Biden had his moments, too, for example, when he mentioned his and McCain's sons both being in Iraq.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 1:29 pm

What I wonder about as far as Sarah Palin's style was whether it was people representational of those on this board that she was aiming for. She was brought onto McCain's ticket not only as an out of nowhere shake up the race maneuver, she was also brought in to shore up support among the more conservative base that's been skeptical of McCain. I would guess that the folksiness and such were directed at them, where they may be far more effective than on member of WPs in general. Generally speaking, we're not her demographic, and she probably wasn't even trying to appeal to people like us. This race is full of uncertainties like that, from the Bradly effect to whether telepolling shorts Obama since his young constituents often only have cell phones.

Incidentally, I wish just once that one of these candidates would trade in some of their political wonks for some quality Jewish writers before one of these debates. Nobody remembers the nuts and bolts, but a good zinger in a debate can live forever! I think if someone could pull off seriously answering the questions in a humorous way, it could actually be effective, but I think most of these guys have their sense of humor surgically removed before the campaigns start. Just look at Bob Dole and Al Gore, the biggest sticks in the mud during the campaigns, yet both of them have been quite funny post election loss... Conspiracy, anyone?

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 1:55 pm

Dox47 wrote:
What I wonder about as far as Sarah Palin's style was whether it was people representational of those on this board that she was aiming for. She was brought onto McCain's ticket not only as an out of nowhere shake up the race maneuver, she was also brought in to shore up support among the more conservative base that's been skeptical of McCain. I would guess that the folksiness and such were directed at them, where they may be far more effective than on member of WPs in general. Generally speaking, we're not her demographic, and she probably wasn't even trying to appeal to people like us. This race is full of uncertainties like that, from the Bradly effect to whether telepolling shorts Obama since his young constituents often only have cell phones.

This should be no surprise. Biden is winning this poll 17 to 1 as of now. I don't think any politician is aiming for the people who go to Politics, Philosophy, and Religion on WrongPlanet.net. We're far from a common demographic!

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 2:30 pm

that and:

"I just want to say how great it is that we both love Israel!"

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 3:45 pm

I did not watch the VP debate, but early reviews declared Joe Biden the winner.

In this thread, I voted Joe Biden because he's Joe Biden!
He can talk a mile-a-minute and not get tired.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 4:19 pm

We had a choice in Canada, because of our debates, I think more Canadians watched the the VP
debate then the one here, just because of how contentious an issue it has been over Sarah Palin.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 9:01 pm

I hope it was Biden.

But I will miss Topless Cheney.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

DNForrest
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 9:15 pm

Yup, I'd have to go with Biden, though I will admit that Palin did a lot better than I expected. I was thoroughly impressed by her ability to avoid answering some of the questions.

Did anyone else catch the analysis Fox News did on the debates? Unsurprisingly, they said that Palin won by and far. My favorite reason they used as backing up why she won: The flag pin on her suit was "At least three times bigger" than Biden's.

silentbob15
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 11:32 pm

Dox47 wrote:
spudnik wrote:
I love that Naughty Liberian look. :lol:

Very Naughty Liberian...

Thats a very naughty librarian indeed :lol:

Here's a nice but Naughty Librarian