messy 41%  41%  [ 27 ]
tidy 17%  17%  [ 11 ]
inbetween 42%  42%  [ 28 ]
Total votes : 66

veruniel
Toucan
Toucan

16 Oct 2008, 6:25 am

I'm in between. You'll find a few clothes lying around my room but generally everything is put away pretty carefully. But my housemate would tell you I'm a terrible slob. The reason? I don't mind a little dust, and I never do housework such as dusting and vacuuming. She's allergic to dust and so there can sometimes be a great deal of friction.

Starr
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2008, 5:07 am

Tidy most of the time. When the house starts getting untidy because I'm busy it makes me feel uncomfortable. My husband leaves newspapers and magazines scattered around so we have different levels of tidiness, so the house isn't as neat as it was when I lived on my own. Sometimes I leave it until I can't stand it any longer and have a cleaning/tidying spree, that's very satisfying to see it 'just right' again.

SeizeTheDay
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2008, 5:32 pm

Pretty neat, usually. But I've been better. When I don't feel like cleaning, I won't. When I do, I will clean for hours.

"The person who knows everything has a lot to learn."

"Dubito, ergo cogito, ergo sum" (I doubt, therefore I think, therefore I am) René Descartes

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2008, 7:08 pm

Clean but disorganised, with occasional tidying frenzy.

The year is still young.

macushla
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Nov 2008, 11:27 am

I prefer an organized environment following the protocols suggested in the tradition of Fung Shui.

One of my happiest decorating decisions was when we replaced the windows in our house with double pane thermo windows I had installed obscure (frosted) glass put in most of them (all but the front room's windows).

The salesman at the window store thought I was crazy,
but the customer is always right.
Before getting all of them I experimented with the feeling of frosted glass by getting my kitchen windows done a year before the others. I knew what I wanted immediately.

Since the glass is frosted, what is outside in our urban neighborhood doesn't clutter my visual environment. My house is more a private sanctuary without it being dark and gloomy during the day.
During the day I have full natural sun light streaming in through the windows without people being able to look into my house.

My husband has no problem living in an organized house as long as I set up and maintain that order.
On his own, he's a mess that can just as well live in a mess.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

29 Nov 2008, 2:52 am

macushla wrote:
I prefer an organized environment following the protocols suggested in the tradition of Fung Shui.

I love Feng Shui. I try to keep to it, when I decorate my house, and keeping the clutter down, does wonders for my state of mind. I also have some visual deficits, so I have to keep things tidy, or I could injure myself.

Shadow50
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Nov 2008, 3:23 am

elderwanda wrote:
I love things to be tidy, but I don't seem to have the ability to make that happen. Part of the problem is that I have never lived anywhere where there is enough physical space to keep things. Like, right now, I've got stuff cluttering up the kitchen counter because there isn't enough space in the cupboards, so there's no choice but to keep it on the counter. Everyone in my family has hobbies, but there isn't quite enough shelf space and drawer space (or wall space for more furniture) to keep the various supplies. So there is always stuff lying around.

Sometimes I try to tidy it all up and make it neat, but it's just really difficult to do. Also, it seems like whenever I do a project, I take up a huge amount of space, more so than I ought to. My AS son is like that, too. Putting things away is 100 times harder than getting it out, because everything seems to explode and multiply.

That's me, too. Didn't do the poll because my answer would be alternating. I like to set out having everything neat and tidy, indexed if necessary and organised. Then I run short of space and time, and just give up and let everything have it's own life. Biblical sort of filing system ... seek and ye shall find.