Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 10:07 am

If you want to keep fit then jogging twice a week is not going to help you much. you should do it at least 5 times a week for 30-60 minutes, keeping a stable heart rate to get the fats burning.

I made midnight jogging a part of my routine and it goes well with my hyperactivity and nocturnal lifestyle. when I'm for some reason unable to go for a jog I feel the lack of endorphines almost physically. it's really easy to get addicted to it.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 10:10 am

Everyday is a good idea, and you can build your stamina over time. Experts on various television shows say three times a week but I think everyday gets the best results.
If you are going to run experts say you need more carbs for energy.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 7:37 pm

Thank you for the tips. I need to lose weight. I have a doctor's visit coming up and I know I will be told I need to lose weight. I have been getting as much exercise as I can and take the stairs rather than the elevator at work whenever possible.

Lonermutant
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2008, 12:46 pm

d0ds0t wrote:
I really want to get fit and exercise, When I am bored I have no trouble with the motivation and eager to get out jogging or whatever, but when I stand there ready to go it's like I am a total different person and try to come up with stupid excuses for staying home instead.

Anyone else feel this change in wanting to do something, and then don't?
Does anyone have good tips or things I can do to keep my motivation solid over time?

Have been jogging for almost 5 months - 2 times a week :lol:

I go to the gym 3 days a week. I used to weigh almost 135 kg, now I weigh 107, a lot of it muscles.

AngryReptileKeeper
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Oct 2008, 12:55 pm

d0ds0t wrote:
I really want to get fit and exercise, When I am bored I have no trouble with the motivation and eager to get out jogging or whatever, but when I stand there ready to go it's like I am a total different person and try to come up with stupid excuses for staying home instead.

Does anyone have good tips or things I can do to keep my motivation solid over time?

Oh my god, you sound just like me! 8O I hate when I do that! I have serious problems with motivation. Sometimes I can't even clean house unless I've had coffee. :roll:

Have you tried listening to fast-paced music that makes you feel good? I find that it helps me a bit.

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2008, 1:40 pm

AngryReptileKeeper wrote:
d0ds0t wrote:

Oh my god, you sound just like me! 8O I hate when I do that! I have serious problems with motivation. Sometimes I can't even clean house unless I've had coffee. :roll:

Have you tried listening to fast-paced music that makes you feel good? I find that it helps me a bit.

I hear you on motivation! I really do! It's REALLY hard for me but I am noticing myself saying "no" to temptation more and more which does make you feel good afterwards. After doing a lot of soul searching and stuff, it does help you realize why its a bad idea to pick up that chocolate bar! And I also try keeping in mind that sweets or bad carbs will make you feel good in the short run but in the long run it will make you fat! I find just imagining myself as 500 lbs somewhat motivating and I am getting better with saying "no" to temptation like I said before BUT... exercise is another issue all together. Just getting up to move can be trying at times.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2008, 3:47 pm

d0ds0t wrote:

Things that have worked for me:

Drink water prior to eating anything, even a snack. I started at 8oz, although at my size I found that 16oz was more effective. This helped moderate my appetite, improved digestion and metabolism, and kept me hydrated through the weight loss.

Sometimes, things come in stages. I spent nine months losing weight before I started my exercise regimen; needed to lose enough weight to not hurt my knees further, and saved myself the frustration of getting on the scale and seeing no progress because the muscle gain eliminated the weight loss.

Exercise everywhere. While having dedicated times and activities is good, it also helps to make it part of everyday events as well. If I want a cigarette at night, then I exercise - then I don't want one anymore for awhile. If I'm having one, I might do steps to help build my knees back up. Keep a weight handy while watching television. Make it a complete part of your life so it does not seem foreign or discardable.

Just a few of my thoughts...

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

earthmonkey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Oct 2008, 11:19 pm

It helps to have a scale, to track progress over time. It will take quite awhile though, and losing a lot of weight quickly can be unhealthy.

For sure don't eat sweets, or actually what can be a better strategy is to eat them infrequently and in very small amounts (for me, I will generally have some form of dessert once every week or once every two weeks, in a very small amount - about 1/3 of the portion a person typically would have, or less). If you are used to eating a lot of sweets or junk foods, it is good to start by replacing sweets with a more main course type dish, and junk foods with a healthier type food like salad.

The reason for this, is because if you just refrain from eating sweets at all for a long time, you might want to start overeating because of being away from it for so long. The idea is not to just lose a bunch of weight temporarily and then go back to eating unhealhty, the idea is to develop a balanced diet and lifestyle so that you're satisfied and can sustain it long-term.

A lot of other good advice here. I believe it's also good to have good sleep, as well, but I don't know if that really relates to weight loss, if that was a credible source or not. It's good advice in general; certainly can't hurt. :)

--G. K. Chesterton, The Aristocrat

willybeamishh
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Oct 2008, 3:43 am

eat less, do more

violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 7:35 am

I'm a part of the fat acceptance movement, which believes in HAES, Health at Every Size. It's great you want to be healthy, but weight loss shouldn't be a goal. If you end up loosing weight because of the increased exercise and eating better, that's fine. It shouldn't be the sole measure of how well you are doing, or how healthy you are. I'm just stating this, because our society that currently believes in size prejudice, tells people that thin = healthy and fat = unhealthy. It is not that simple, for most fat people it would be very damaging for them to try and force themselves to be thin. I want to just make sure you understand not to worry about the weight, and be more concerned about how you feel.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 1:27 pm

Is there a gym you can go to?

Stationary bikes and elliptical (stair-stepping) machines are the most effective as far as burning calories.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

daysleeper
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Oct 2008, 2:50 pm

d0ds0t wrote:

i don't exercise, i just end up power-walking everywhere i need to go cos i am always late and never have enough change for the bus. what can i say? keeps me fit! ;)