Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 1:31 pm

Honesty is more than simple pedantry, that's what I say.

Rainstorm5
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 3:09 pm

music_for_airports wrote:
I watch large crowds, witness the mindless herd mentality, and as I can't see any evidence of the intelligence I have (and that I once assumed that all humans have) I see them more like cattle. For this reason I sometimes chuckle about people killed in those mass stampedes which sometimes occur at soccer games. I watch smaller groups or couples and their behaviour just seems like apes. Language appears superfluous for them — no information of any real meaning is transferred, they could just be grunting and gesturing.

Interesting. I've noticed the same thing, especially once I got into my mid-30s. Everyday conversations between NT people seemed vapid and meaningless to me - as you said, a series of grunts & gestures. To me, socializing is like some weird dance that I am unable to learn and when I try to copy what everyone else is doing, I invariably end up looking like an idiot.

BokeKaeru
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 5:31 pm

Yes, some people, maybe even a majority of people, live off of instinct, not for a brighter future or a higher purpose or anything else beyond fulfilling momentary appetites.

But I see it this way. If humanity as a whole was nothing more than the above, no different from any other species, we wouldn't be sitting here discussing this heavy subject matter, on highly advanced machines, that we have made able to connect with other highly advanced machines, in permanent structures with heat, water and other aspects of nature that we harnessed to our uses, probably in a rather safe and durable collection of such structures. Even absent of all of these results of higher brain functioning, there probably wouldn't BE a group called WrongPlanet if we were just common animals, because we'd either be left for dead after being unable to survive or fighting to continue struggling to stay alive, rather than caring what happens to "weaker" members of the species.

For every hundred or thousand people who just live to eat, sleep, poop, have sex and make more of themselves before dying, there's a few people who will try and sometimes succeed to make their life mean something in the grand scheme of things. In my opinion, the few are enough to make the whole seem distinct and meaningful, if nothing else already does.

music_for_airports
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Oct 2008, 9:02 pm

I am glad that what really was a self-absorbed rant sprung from a patch of great pessimism and anger, with only shades on insight, has prompted an interesting discussion about truth, honesty and human instinctual behaviour. I must admit, I felt a little ashamed some time after posting and wanted to come back and erase the entire thread somehow, but as always, the WP members have forgiven my lapse of optimism and read only to my points.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2008, 2:40 am

Human beings have animalistic drives and instincts, linking us to the animal kingdom, but I would have to say we are more than animals. We're people.