Page 16 of 17 [ 266 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Accelerator
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Oct 2008, 9:54 pm

slowmutant wrote:
There is or must be a point at which mysticism and high-level scientific thought meet up and agree.

“Strange developments are going on in astronomy. They are fascinating partly because of their theological implications, and partly because of the peculiar reactions of scientists....

For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.”

Mountains of ignorance by Astronomer Robert Jastrow

-

-

carturo222
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2008, 10:50 pm

slowmutant wrote:
There is or must be a point at which mysticism and high-level scientific thought meet up and agree.

Exactly why do you feel this?

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2008, 11:53 pm

Sand wrote:
Perhaps because people of faith have no faith in logic and science.

But isn't that a belief or perception? I myself am agnostic and take what science has to offer and question that which has not been proven yet.

Anyway, back to the original post. Yes there's a number of religious bashing so to speak in the philosophy thread but we've also had a share of other bashers mostly that of religious fundamentals who try to argue their belief to be fact. But I agree, there seems to also be a lot of bashing for having any belief that can't be answered by science.

The problem isn't so much bashing but debates mixed with religion and philosopy. Philosophy is a little different than that of Metaphysics or Mythology which deal with more of the abstract principles in questioning like existentialism and/or folklore. Philosophy deals mostly into the scientific and general principles of ideas in questioning.

Many times people are going to have a strong opinion in any belief whether it be religion, spirituality, atheism, etc. Debates, to sum up are going to progress into subjective rather than objective arguing. The only easiest or logical way most philosophers debate is that of which has been suggested or proven and that is usually science or written doctrines that were produced ages ago by theologists. Even science has its shares of arguements. But it is usually the conglomerate "evidence" that most feel they can reliably argue by IMO.

But back to the question, IMO, I do see a number of those of scienfic belief use a belief system rather than disection of reasoning to sum up why he/she's view is evident over anyone with a value or belief system. Belief and science are two different things and more than often, science wins but that doesn't make one IMO with a "god" or "higher power" necessarily wrong.

My belief just questions WHAT, WHY, and REASONING. So I really try not to take a bias view on the stance of religion or not. You also have to consider that even religions don't believe in the same "philosophy" of belief even among the same religion itself.

Last edited by MissConstrue on 09 Oct 2008, 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2008, 12:46 am

twoshots wrote:
Ya, rly.

Okay.

Scott_R92
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

Location: Ohio, in the depths of despair and the pits of hell. Charming, isn't it?

09 Oct 2008, 7:43 pm

I'm saddened to say your all just proving more of what autism speaks wants to end Autism for. You only believe in what makes sense to YOU and anything else is utter BS. It is one of the most common autistic traits on here: you're all living in a world where only the sensible things (by your own definition) can be allowed to exist. Christianity, while you make it seem to be some stupid belief in a false god, is more of a way of life and a way of thinking than being a good worshipper of God. It's about treating people with respect, dignity, and love; something I have not yet seen one person who bashes religion do. Religion exists to keep people from being selfish monsters. Not to take you to paradise, or to avoid hell, just to make you a tolerable person. I imagine that other things you fail to see the sense in get "bashed" also, like washing hands constantly to avoid germs. Oh, but wait... I'll bet some of you do it anyway! Well, if you're a religion basher, why don't I bash your stupid plan to keep free of germs? You can't keep free of germs, no matter how much you wash. You also can't make Religious people become atheists by telling them religion is illogical. If you want to bash people about something that doesn't make sense to you, then your just as stupid as Dark-Age humans. "You've got a weird stick! Your a witch! BURN HIM! BURN HIM!"

I rest my case.

Where are you on the spectrum?

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2008, 8:57 pm

Scott_R92 wrote:
I'm saddened to say your all just proving more of what autism speaks wants to end Autism for. You only believe in what makes sense to YOU and anything else is utter BS. It is one of the most common autistic traits on here: you're all living in a world where only the sensible things (by your own definition) can be allowed to exist. Christianity, while you make it seem to be some stupid belief in a false god, is more of a way of life and a way of thinking than being a good worshipper of God. It's about treating people with respect, dignity, and love; something I have not yet seen one person who bashes religion do. Religion exists to keep people from being selfish monsters. Not to take you to paradise, or to avoid hell, just to make you a tolerable person. I imagine that other things you fail to see the sense in get "bashed" also, like washing hands constantly to avoid germs. Oh, but wait... I'll bet some of you do it anyway! Well, if you're a religion basher, why don't I bash your stupid plan to keep free of germs? You can't keep free of germs, no matter how much you wash. You also can't make Religious people become atheists by telling them religion is illogical. If you want to bash people about something that doesn't make sense to you, then your just as stupid as Dark-Age humans. "You've got a weird stick! Your a witch! BURN HIM! BURN HIM!"

I rest my case.

There is nothing special or unique in the methodology employed here against religionists that isnt equally applied in forums populated by enthusiasts of a less autistic nature.

Science should lead us to enlightenment. Religion aught to lead us to peace and understanding among people. Unfortunately its failing badly. So we take it to task.

As should be.

Thus hinges all the arguments. If the tool is broken, discard it. Fix it. Invent a new one. Just stop hammering people with it.

Scott_R92
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

Location: Ohio, in the depths of despair and the pits of hell. Charming, isn't it?

09 Oct 2008, 9:03 pm

Fuzzy wrote:
Scott_R92 wrote:

I rest my case.

There is nothing special or unique in the methodology employed here against religionists that isnt equally applied in forums populated by enthusiasts of a less autistic nature.

Science should lead us to enlightenment. Religion aught to lead us to peace and understanding among people. Unfortunately its failing badly. So we take it to task.

As should be.

Thus hinges all the arguments. If the tool is broken, discard it. Fix it. Invent a new one. Just stop hammering people with it.

Just remember that PEOPLE killed it. Not religion.

Where are you on the spectrum?

Haliphron
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2008, 9:07 pm

Scott_R92 wrote:
Fuzzy wrote:
Scott_R92 wrote:

I rest my case.

As should be.

Just remember that PEOPLE killed it. Not religion.

People havent Killed it but they are trying very hard to undermine it. THIS is one of the reasons why people need to be CONTROLLED.

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2008, 1:34 am

Chever said:

Quote:
Why does something have to have a cause to exist?

Why can't it simply exist?

Lowradiation said:
Quote:
We have no experience of nothing. Why do we believe we have an idea of nothing? Simple dualism and symmetry?

If you base all of your assumptions on what science teaches then answer this question.
Can something be created from nothing?

It is not logical to say that all of us are here and yet nothing created us. It defies all reason and is absurd.
We all just existed? That is not an answer, its a cop out. That seems to be like you are operating on pure Faith in nothing.

-Pythagoras

chever
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2008, 1:44 am

Magnus wrote:
It is not logical to say that all of us are here and yet nothing created us. It defies all reason and is absurd.

Who/what created God?

z0rp
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2008, 1:45 am

Magnus wrote:
Chever said:
Quote:
Why does something have to have a cause to exist?

Why can't it simply exist?

Lowradiation said:
Quote:
We have no experience of nothing. Why do we believe we have an idea of nothing? Simple dualism and symmetry?

If you base all of your assumptions on what science teaches then answer this question.
Can something be created from nothing?

We all just existed? That is not an answer, its a cop out. That seems to be like you are operating on pure Faith in nothing.

Well at one point or another you can 'assume' something came from nothing and if not why not be honest with yourself and everyone else and just say, "I don't know". We can make theories and such, some may even be the actual truth but when it comes down to it that's really the truth.

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2008, 1:58 am

What created God? Everything was always here? Is that how our world operates? Think of the ramifications of that.
Heaven and Hell seems to be a ridiculous idea then.

If we try to use our human logic and reason to answer these questions, we eventually fall into a realization that we don't know everything.
So to state that such and such is real or unreal based on science is false because science obviously doesn't know everything.
To base all of your assumptions on scientific research is silly.

Doesn't this open up a new door and we have to grow higher to comprehend the source of creation. In desiring to grow higher, your mind expands. This is the "infinite" religious experience I was talking about. To say it just always was and not explore that to make sense of it is to ignore the possibilities of the imagination. Reason and logic ridicules imagination. But I think it's like a portal to other dimensions. If you haven't experienced it, then it's easy to say it doesn't exist. I believe that with a desire, anyone can attain this "feeling". It's a new language and is indescribable. That proves that all of our reality isn't merely based on our language. Our animal perceptions do not define reality accurately.

-Pythagoras

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2008, 2:20 am

Sorry, kiddo, reason and logic do not eliminate imagination. They re-enforce it by examining if imagination has any basis in reality. And reality provides completely new material for imagination to work with and thus stimulates it. As a working artist I examine reality closely every waking moment and use reason and logic to penetrate it to stimulate my imagination in ways I never would have discovered by mere daydreaming of ancient idiocies and naive conceptions. Science is a discipline devoted to extending imagination by close interaction with reality. Einstein's concepts of time and space were so imaginative that many people embedded mentally in older concepts did not have the imagination to follow his reasoning and still religious people find a four dimensional universe beyond their imaginative capabilities.

chever
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2008, 2:44 am

Sand wrote:
Einstein's concepts of time and space were so imaginative that many people embedded mentally in older concepts did not have the imagination to follow his reasoning and still religious people find a four dimensional universe beyond their imaginative capabilities.

LOL

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2008, 2:48 am

How can it reinforce it if there is no basis in reality. There is no language to describe it. You even said that you can't comprehend it.
The human mind can transcend this thinking. Even for just a split second, having a "religious experience" like this can change your whole perception.

Like I said before, with desire comes knowledge of this infinite intelligence. To shrug your shoulders and say, "I dunno know" is a waste of our potential.

-Pythagoras

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2008, 8:54 am

To the contrary. When one admits one doesn't know, that is the impetus to find out. Religion stalls impetus.