Page 1 of 17 [ 266 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next

Reodor_Felgen
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 7:33 am

I've noticed that a lot of people love to bash religions--because religions "are the source off all that's evil". A lot of people love to bash Islam and Christianity, and many are so f*cking dumb that they think all muslims are like Osama bin Laden. Doesn't the Qur'an tell people not to kill a soul which Allah has made sacred, except in the name of justice? Osama bin Laden would have been just the same way if he had been an atheist, and the crusades would have killed people regardless of their religious beliefs.

Criticism of atheism is "forbidden" in this overly political correct world. Leftists and atheists today have a monopoly on opinions. People who believe in a higher deity are not allowed to say their opinions. The same goes for people who doesn't believe in political BS created to control people, such as global warming.

If religion is the root of all evil, then I guess it was ok of Josef Stalin--a fanatical atheist--to kill 43 million people, many of them simply because they were religious.

Fuck. This will override the swear word filter.

Khan_Sama
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 7:35 am

Reodor Felgen, thank you so much. ^^

It's very hard for me to convince people towards my point of view.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 8:48 am

Mostly agreed with your post.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 8:50 am

I have the same problem, though not so much because I want to convince others of my beliefs but merely because I want to convince them of the validity of my beliefs. Of course I realize not everyone in this world believes in God or religion. But can you believe in God without religion, simply be "spiritual not religious" as some claim?

crackedpleasures
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 9:03 am

Agree with the OP despite being atheist myself. Everyone is entitled to his own believes and if someone finds strength in believing in god, then I think this is a great thing.

(excerpt from The Book of the Law - Aleister Crowley)

"Od lo avda tikvateinu" (excerpt from the Israeli hymn)

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 9:12 am

Well, frankly, I love to bash religion because it is so completely stupid and a very easy bash. It's like kicking cockroaches. Human beings have so much real potential to examine, logically theorize, and come to sensible simple conclusions about the universe and how it functions that the total nonsense of most religions is intellectually offensive. All this is besides the unnecessary viciousness of the religion business and how it scams gullible people unmercifully. But, of course, considering the atmosphere of social exchange these days I don't expect much approval for my attitude.

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 9:17 am

Reodor_Felgen wrote:
Criticism of atheism is "forbidden" in this overly political correct world.

Not really. Atheists are often considered one of the most distrusted demographics in the United States.

I agree with most of your post, but no side is immune from bashing, and I am confused to your presumed stance of treating Christianity as the underdog.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 9:18 am

I must say that most of us on WP that 'bash' religions do it because it is nonsensical and flies in the face of understanding. Whilst many wars/conflicts are supposedly religious the truth is often far deeper, however you show a complete lack of historical knowledge if you think that the crusades were not based on religion.

Quote:
Criticism of atheism is "forbidden" in this overly political correct world. Leftists and atheists today have a monopoly on opinions. People who believe in a higher deity are not allowed to say their opinions.

What a load of BS. Maybe here on WP you might cop some flack but trust me not believing in god and talking about it in the real world gets me into all kinds of trouble, yet it is fine and dandy for political leaders to state their allegiance to their religion, do you know of any current politicians saying that they are an atheist, if they did they would most likely be accused of being satanist's

Quote:
The same goes for people who doesn't believe in political BS created to control people, such as global warming

Now you really are showing the level of your refusal to accept science, next you will be telling us that Palin is correct and humans really did co-exist with dinosaurs

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 9:31 am

Quote:
because it is nonsensical and flies in the face of understanding

Rather it flies in the face of your understanding. Some people may be predisposed to religious belief while others aren't. It's a character trait/flaw, depending on your point of view. There are many, many things in this world which I don't understand, but that doesn't make them nonsensical, just because I don't understand. That statement reveals a lot about you.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 9:38 am

slowmutant wrote:
Quote:
because it is nonsensical and flies in the face of understanding

Rather it flies in the face of your understanding. Some people may be predisposed to religious belief while others aren't. It's a character trait/flaw, depending on your point of view. There are many, many things in this world which I don't understand, but that doesn't make them nonsensical, just because I don't understand. That statement reveals a lot about you.

What the heck are you on about :?

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

carturo222
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 9:42 am

Reodor_Felgen wrote:
Criticism of atheism is "forbidden" in this overly political correct world. Leftists and atheists today have a monopoly on opinions. People who believe in a higher deity are not allowed to say their opinions.

To all posters: before you jump to counter-argue, first have a look at the OP's profile. He's posting from Norway, an atheist haven.

Reodor_Felgen wrote:
The same goes for people who doesn't believe in political BS created to control people, such as global warming.

I'm sorry, Reodor, but global warming is real. Have a look at your own region and try to tell me with a straight face that the degree of melting is normal.

Reodor_Felgen
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 9:45 am

DentArthurDent wrote:
I must say that most of us on WP that 'bash' religions do it because it is nonsensical and flies in the face of understanding. Whilst many wars/conflicts are supposedly religious the truth is often far deeper, however you show a complete lack of historical knowledge if you think that the crusades were not based on religion.

I know what they're based on. My point is that people in the crusades would have murdered regardless of their religion. The crusades were fueled mainly by imperialism, just like Al Qaidas terror is fueled by racism.

Quote:
What a load of BS. Maybe here on WP you might cop some flack but trust me not believing in god and talking about it in the real world gets me into all kinds of trouble, yet it is fine and dandy for political leaders to state their allegiance to their religion, do you know of any current politicians saying that they are an atheist, if they did they would most likely be accused of being satanist's

Then I find it a bit ironic that the most popular president of all times, "Honest Abe", was an atheist. The United States government has never killed anyone for not being christians, and The United States is a secular nation. On the other hand, people have been killed in the Soviet Union, China, North-Korea, Cambodia and Cuba just because they were religious.

Quote:
Now you really are showing the level of your refusal to accept science, next you will be telling us that Palin is correct and humans really did co-exist with dinosaurs

You're the one who's not accepting science. Only 3,5% of the carbon dioxyde is created by humans, which means that the global warming is not man-made. Besides, the global climate has actually began to cool down for the last 2-3 years.

I've got nothing against atheists, and I'm not a muslim. But I still dislike the fanatical atheists, and many of them only see the bad things in the Qu'ran and the Bible--not the good.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 9:47 am

The winters and summers in my area are getting more severe with each passing year, it seems. And the transitional seasons are disappearing. Something's up. Why is the US administration hell-bent on mythologizing this rather pressing issue? What do they have to lose from admitting that Al Gore is right?

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 10:07 am

Quote:
The same goes for people who doesn't believe in political BS created to control people, such as global warming.
Your post was very insightful until this.

Really, denying global warming at this stage is...

Reodor_Felgen
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 10:09 am

Vexcalibur wrote:
Quote:
Your post was very insightful until this.

Really, denying global warming at this stage is...

I'm not denying global warming, I'm denying man-made global warming.

Khan_Sama
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 10:22 am

Why did the topic divert from religious bashing to global warming in just 14 posts? Lol!