Page 15 of 17 [ 266 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Accelerator
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Oct 2008, 2:27 pm

Magnus wrote:
Lowradiation completely avoided answering the question. .

This could be due to having a very short half life..

"once the atom reaches a stable configuration, no more radiation is given off."

"eventually the material will become non-(radio)active"

;-)

---

Radioactive Decay and Half-Life

"As mentioned previously, radioactive decay is the disintegration of an unstable atom with an accompanying emission of radiation. As a radioisotope atom decays to a more stable atom, it emits radiation only once. To change from an unstable atom to a completely stable atom may require several disintegration steps and radiation will be given off at each step. However, once the atom reaches a stable configuration, no more radiation is given off. For this reason, radioactive sources become weaker with time. As more and more unstable atoms become stable atoms, less radiation is produced and eventually the material will become non-radioactive."

http://www.ndt-ed.org/EducationResource ... /decay.htm

-

Last edited by Accelerator on 08 Oct 2008, 2:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2008, 2:29 pm

Energy can not be created or destroyed. Matter is energy. So, that must mean we all get recycled. There is no such thing as death.
We keep transforming.

I was hoping someone would have called this out on the religious experiment thread. It's always better to come to your own conclusions and make your own discoveries. Our egos sometimes confine us and are impenetrable, makes us think we know it all.

Still, where did all this come from?

-Pythagoras

Accelerator
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Oct 2008, 2:59 pm

Magnus wrote:
Energy can not be created or destroyed. Matter is energy. So, that must mean we all get recycled. There is no such thing as death.

We keep transforming.

“Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration..

That we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively..

There is no such thing as death..

Life is only a dream..

And we are the imagination of ourselves."

Bill Hicks - Nothing Goes Right

Magnus wrote:
Still, where did all this come from?

In a nut-shell...

Potential energy..

God willing........ I will expand on this idea later..;-)

---

"Everything emanates from the same source. Everything is a voice or speech resounding over the world, through the entire universe, through microcosmos and macrocosmos. It vibrates through the shining of the stars. It shines in the orbits of the planets. It is whispered through the gentle breeze and is murmured in the depths of the forest. It is whistled through the sirens of the factories and is heard in the noise of the machines. It is sung over the cradle and spoken at the grave. It is vague feeling or notion, wisdom and belief. It is knowledge, recognition and hope. It is death, resurrection and life. It is colour, vibration and light. It is everything that can in any way be sensed, thought and experienced."

Martinus

-

Haliphron
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2008, 3:08 pm

I hope you people realize that all these explanations for where the Universe came from and the origins of(not to mention the existence)God are nothing but Speculation because now we are in the domain of the non-falsifiable. It is NOT known at the present time where the Universe came from and why it is here and its also dubious that we will EVER know at all.
Im tempted to tell everyone to just accept the mystery but thats just not what people do.............. :?

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2008, 3:31 pm

In other words, stop being curious.

Haliphron
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2008, 3:40 pm

Sand wrote:

Thats not what I meant, not at all. What I means was, IOW: Stop being so axiomatic about your ideas of what existed before the Universe and where it came from

Accelerator
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Oct 2008, 4:02 pm

Haliphron wrote:
I hope you people realize that all these explanations for where the Universe came from and the origins of(not to mention the existence)God are nothing but Speculation because now we are in the domain of the non-falsifiable. It is NOT known at the present time where the Universe came from and why it is here and its also dubious that we will EVER know at all.
Im tempted to tell everyone to just accept the mystery but thats just not what people do.............. :?

When you're mad.. small issues like this don't matter..

When you're crazy........ one can think anything.

And we often do.

Well....... that's my defence.........;-)

Philosophy can only move forward by means of making progressive approximations.

The advantage is that is has a much greater degree of freedom than science..

The freedom to speculate..

To form conjectures..

Then.. it is the scientist's job to come up with the evidence.

I know.... I know... it's a dirty job... but someone has to do it.

However.. you might be surprised how much evidence exists already.. towards demonstrating that there is a "primary field" of potential energy..

Not to even mention the logic behind it..

Oops..... I just did........ silly me.............:-0

Eraise that memory..! !!

-----

"The aim isn't to degrade mind to matter, but to upgrade the properties of matter to account for mind, and to tell how from the dust and water of the earth, natural forces conjured a mental system capable of asking why it exists."

Nigel Calder

-

Once we have solved all the mysteries of the universe..

Then...... can we get back to religion bashing.. ?

I must confess…. I like religion bashing..

Magnus deserves a spanking…….. for derailing the topic..;-)

But then I like talking about nothing too.. :-)

So.. I guess I’ll forgive her...... if the rest of you do.

At least.. I know I can count on the Christians..

----

“To confine our attention to terrestrial matters would be to limit the human spirit.”

Stephen W. Hawking

-

Accelerator
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Oct 2008, 4:51 pm

Here is just a humble scrap of evidence..

It anyone wants to see it all.. it might take a month or two..

---

Riddle of Mass:

"The Standard Model proposes that there is another field not yet observed, a field that is almost indistinguishable from empty space. We call this the Higgs field. We think that all of space is filled with this field, and that by interacting with this field, particles acquire their masses. Particles that interact strongly with the Higgs field are heavy, while those that interact weakly are light."

Higgs was obviously not a manic..

He thought small.. but along the right lines.

From what I understand.. he seems to have confined his field to within the limits of the universe..

I only came across his ideas recently.. so I haven't had time to really research them.

From a manic's point of view.. the universe is just a tiny expanding bubble.. expanding within the matrix of the primary field.. probably along with many others.. continually poping in and out of existence... there is no beginning.. and no end.

In order for a universe to come into being.. it simply borrows its energy from the primary field.

That's my reasoning.

---

"The godlike importance ascribed to the Higgs particle (or equivalently, the Higgs field) is because the mass properties of all particles, such as electrons, are created based on their interactions with the Higgs field. Predicted over 30 years ago by physicist Peter Higgs (University of Edinburgh, Scotland) the Higgs field engulfs all other particles in an unseen "ocean-like ether" permeating all space, which causes a type of "drag" that shows itself as mass."

http://www.p-i-a.com/Magazine/Issue10/Physics_10.htm

-

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2008, 5:43 pm

Haliphron wrote:
Sand wrote:

Thats not what I meant, not at all. What I means was, IOW: Stop being so axiomatic about your ideas of what existed before the Universe and where it came from

The arguments that I have been citing are not, specifically, concerned with intelligible scientific notions of where the universe comes from.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2008, 6:31 pm

Higgs field ... interesting.

Accelerator
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Oct 2008, 9:27 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Higgs field ... interesting.

“I can testify that Einstein's speculations revealed here concerning infinite spaces in motion do at least carry us in the right direction, in how they suggest space might have an UNSEEN and possibly INFINITE content. Most noteworthy, similar ideas came from the work of David Bohm, who introduced the idea of an implicate order. Implicate order for Bohm was a way of acknowledging that quantum mechanics reveals that space contains a HIDDEN ORDER. However, that order is much more visible than Bohm ever realized. There is the order of groups and grouping that we are accustomed to acknowledging, but there also is an order of balance and symmetry which smoothes out the pronounced nature of grouping, until in extreme, the symmetry of balance seems to be a NOTHINGNESS.”

http://everythingforever.com/einstein.htm

-

Could this be the primary field.... a field of potential energy.. ?

This "NOTHINGNESS.”

Is it the same NOTHINGNES that respondes to information that is processed by the brain.. ?

The NOTHINGNESS that we call consciousness.. ?

The ghost in the biological machine.

This seems reasonable.. at least when you're mad.. like me..:-)

Bell's Theorem is interesting too..

Spooky action at a distance.. out side of space-time.

Weird!! !

---

"Nick Herbert, a physicist who heads the C-Life Institute, suggests that we have merely discovered an elemental oneness of the world. This oneness cannot be diminished by spatial separation.

An invisible wholeness unites the objects that are given birth in the universe, and it is this wholeness that we have stumbled into through modern experimental methods. Herbert alludes to the words of the poet Charles Williams: "Separation without separateness, reality without rift."

"The interrelation of human consciousness and the observed world is obvious in Bell's Theorem. Human consciousness and the physical world cannot be regarded as distinct, separate entities. What we call physical reality, the external world, is shaped - to some extent - by human thought. The lesson is clear; we cannot separate our own existence from that of the world outside. We are intimately associated, not only with the earth we inhabit, but with the farthest reaches of the cosmos."

http://astrosite.com/___QuantumPortal-5.htm

-

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2008, 9:35 pm

There is or must be a point at which mysticism and high-level scientific thought meet up and agree.

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2008, 9:38 pm

Not really. There is however a point where science becomes sufficiently abstruse that people mistake it for mysticism, and indeed a point where scientists can no longer tell if they're doing science or not.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2008, 9:42 pm

twoshots wrote:
Not really. There is however a point where science becomes sufficiently abstruse that people mistake it for mysticism, and indeed a point where scientists can no longer tell if they're doing science or not.

Really?

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2008, 9:50 pm

Ya, rly.

Accelerator
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Oct 2008, 9:54 pm

slowmutant wrote:
There is or must be a point at which mysticism and high-level scientific thought meet up and agree.

“Strange developments are going on in astronomy. They are fascinating partly because of their theological implications, and partly because of the peculiar reactions of scientists....

For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries.”

Mountains of ignorance by Astronomer Robert Jastrow

-

-