For older aspies: Do you look like a teenager?

Page 3 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

hiddenfiles
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Oct 2008, 11:06 am

i am 24, but i look like 34!

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2008, 11:31 am

sartresue wrote:
Mir-age topic

I am in my mid fifties, and while I do not look like a teenager (that would be a stretch) I can pass for someone in the early forties. I am fairly healthy and have the curiosity of a much younger person, and the intellect to match.:study: :nerdy: :idea: :cheers: :chin:

However, I have no desire to return to my early youth, and have no interest in youthful social interaction, for to me this is fake.

I am like that, but I do interact with teenagers as I find adults and peers boring

Anemone
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2008, 11:41 am

Danielismyname wrote:
Of note, no matter how high or low-functioning someone with an ASD is, they'll show little or no facial expressions throughout their life. This can equate to less wrinkles/lines on the face, which can make someone look younger. And not to mention the socially immature behaviour that's common.

These are the two biggest factors in making someone look younger than what they are.

Speak for yourself, Daniel. :P For me it's my unusually expressive face looking bewildered in a wide-eyed way that does it. Plus being small and wearing oversize clothes that make me look even smaller. (note bottom paragraph)

I was carded at age 26. It was my goal in my 20s to look 20 by the time I reached 30. I have since given up on that.

This summer, with grey streaks in my hair, I went in to read for a student film and was asked to read for the role of a teenager. 8O I hope that doesn't happen too often. (note age on left!)

I look to Mary Pickford, the first movie star, who was playing children while in her 30s, for inspiration. She wasn't autistic, but boy did she look young. (And she played it up.)

liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2008, 11:48 am

People always tell me I look too young to have older kids. There have also been times when people think that my oldest son is my boyfriend or husband (he is 21 now).
Looking young does run in my family though.

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2008, 12:08 pm

liloleme wrote:
People always tell me I look too young to have older kids. There have also been times when people think that my oldest son is my boyfriend or husband (he is 21 now).
Looking young does run in my family though.

in mine too. I also looked much younger when I was 20, with at least 4 years or so

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2008, 12:13 pm

before i gained alot of weight i did so about a year and a half ago when i was about just turned 17 i could pass as 14 or 15 but if you go afew years ago when iwas 15 or 16 i could pass as 12

but it really varies by day to day with how much sleep i got and such ( i can get massive bags under my eyes at times) this makes it so hard to identify old pictures of me to date the pictures

Jenk
Toucan
Toucan

05 Oct 2008, 12:27 pm

Nope. Always told I look older. Probably the height, Celiac didn't affect growing upwards oddly enough, though my father is very tall. Saying that I was IDed for buying super glue the other day, I said I AM 20! When I asked my mother why and called her in to verify, she said it must have been the rash on my nose that flared up from a run in with Gluten. I do not sniff glue for the love of...

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2008, 12:34 pm

Anemone wrote:
Speak for yourself, Daniel. :P

There's always some exceptions.

(It's generally in relation to social interaction, rather than facial expressions due to the environment. Some people can show "odd" expressions that aren't appropriate for the social context, but it's still really a lack of. If someone smiles at everything someone says, or they only smile [and nothing else], they'll still have a younger looking face overall compared to someone who shows the full range.)

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2008, 1:13 pm

I was ID'd buying cigarettes for a friend the other day (friend wasn't underage, just couldn't be bothered following me into the store!). I'm 22 and the age is 16. So I suppose I do look young, though I always imagined I look about my age.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2008, 1:17 pm

I simply walked into a liquor store after Flakey...to either tell him something or hand him something.....I forget why..and the lady behind the counter immediately asked me for my i.d. and then yelled at me for not having it. :roll:....I yelled back at her that I was 33 and scrunched up my face so she could see the wrinkles...I felt discriminated against...as she does not summarilly card every singly person who walks through the door...

I may not have a very emotive face, but it does register alot of stress....so it does show some age, I think.

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2008, 1:21 pm

People thought I looked older than my age back when I had my mustache. Now that I've shaved it off I haven't heard anyone say.

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2008, 5:52 pm

Even when I owned my own house, callers would knock on the door and when I answered, they would say, "is your mum or dad in".

Its a disadvantage now in that woman of my own age show no interest in me, woman of half my age do, until they find out my actual age.