For older aspies: Do you look like a teenager?

Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

FireFox
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Oct 2008, 1:43 pm

I'm 20, but look about 14.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 1:47 pm

I get ID'd on a regular basis so I guess you might say I look like a teenager.

Rainstorm5
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 2:55 pm

With my hair styled/colored, I'm told I can pass for 32 (I'm 41).

Brook-lynn20
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Oct 2008, 3:04 pm

Unfortunately. I guess I'm just too sensitive about it. A lot of people seem to not mind and laugh it off, but I just can't. No one thinks I am 20. They think I'm still in high school, between 16-17. :roll:

LOL when I read how old you are Rainstorm5, I was being a tad dyslexic. I was wondering how a 14 year old can pass off as a 32 year old! My mistake.

Pook
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Oct 2008, 3:23 pm

My best story still makes me laugh. My future hubby and I went to a winery and at the shop you could taste different wines. I don't drink really, but thought it would be interesting.

Hubby showed his ID without problems. I had IDs from work, school ect and without thinking I said Oh wait a minute did I give you the right one. Well I thought the ladie's eyes were going to pop out. She became so suspicious of me and my age I thought I was going to have serious problems. I was about 26 and hubby was about 22 with premature grey. Cant remember if we just gave up and left or got to take a sip. Hubby was a bit insulted, but now we laugh about when we tell the story :lol:

Pook
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Oct 2008, 3:24 pm

Oh yeah, try to have fun with it, because you will love it more and more as you get older :wink:

MysticSong
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Oct 2008, 3:25 pm

FireFox wrote:
I'm 20, but look about 14.

I'm 30 and I've had people who thought I was as young as 12 (that far down the age range is rather annoying) through 22. I can't be bothered to colour my hair, so when I do shopping trips for my parents since my schedule is freer than theirs, I rarely get ID'd for their wine any more, but it does happen here and there. Actually, I got this past summer at Wal-Mart when I tried to purchase Barbra Streisand's "A Star is Born". The cashier was quite rude about it too.

Kauf039
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Oct 2008, 4:10 pm

Yes, I do. I'd explain, however I believe this exact same thread had been done many times... I think it was even done yesterday if my mind is not failing me.

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 4:21 pm

I look around 17-18

Alycat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 4:21 pm

I'm 21 and people usually guess my age to be about 15. This can cause problems. Is this an aspie thing then?

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 4:25 pm

Mir-age topic

I am in my mid fifties, and while I do not look like a teenager (that would be a stretch) I can pass for someone in the early forties. I am fairly healthy and have the curiosity of a much younger person, and the intellect to match.:study: :nerdy: :idea: :cheers: :chin:

However, I have no desire to return to my early youth, and have no interest in youthful social interaction, for to me this is fake.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

McCann_Can_Triple
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Oct 2008, 4:29 pm

I'm 23 and look around 14.

River: They say the snow on the roof is too heavy. They say the ceiling will cave in. His brains are in terrible danger. "

Hurley's mom "Jesus Christ is not a weapon."

Vanilla_Slice
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 4:37 pm

I wish! Greying hair and the odd wrinkle mean that this stopped happening years ago.

VS

Rowan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Oct 2008, 5:58 pm

It was so strange seeing this thread here. I haven't visted WP in several months (I've been dealing with a major time crunch.)

Yesterday one of the managers at my job who I do projects for sometimes said to me "I bet you looked the same when you were ten years old." I *think* she ment it in a nice way, but it really caught me off balance. She knows I'm 60. I didn't know what to say so I replied "A half-century of bewilderment". I have no idea if that was appropriate, but she didn't seem to take offense.

I've been wondering about that ever since, thinking how out-of-touch I felt and maybe it was a good time to visit the Wrong/Right Planet just to touch base.

Maybe there's something about us that reads as 'child like' to NT's and if we aren't *too* old it can lead people to actually under-estimate our age.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 7:25 pm

I'm 43 (will be 44 November 10), but look like I'm in my 20s. My whole family is youthful in appearance.

04 Oct 2008, 7:52 pm

Indeed I do. People have thought I was still in high school when I was 20. My boyfriend said I looked to be 19 or 20 when we first met and it was on my 22nd birthday.

When I was with my last boyfriend, people thought I was his daughter because we look a like he said. I didn't think she did and she is five years younger than me but people still thought I was her.