Helpful tips needed for starting serious writer

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Souldragon
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Oct 2008, 4:46 pm

I've been writing stories since I was young but it wasn't until recently I started to make full stories and I was wondeirng if anyone could give me tips on how to get my stories to a good publisher? Has anyone had any experience with self-publishers?
Suggestions welcome. Thank you.

Synth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Oct 2008, 7:13 pm

I haven't had anyone publish my writings either, however I'm interested in what you have created. Would you mind sharing some of it with us? Might be a good way to start too.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 8:37 pm

well, aside from 'write what you know', there's a whole world out there of things to do.

There should be web sites out there for writers (I know of a few specialty ones, but believe me, they're not family-freindly...;)
for general and even specialized writing. They critique and give each other feedback, and try to improve over time.

Second, no matter what your age, there's creative writing classes in schools and tech schools out there. They'll teach you about plot, characterization, suspense, etc. You'll also have a chance to find out how your stories are received by others.

Third (and I hate to do this), but grammar and spelling are also key. I've had more stories shot down for poor grammar and spelling; any editor lives to do this. You need to know the rules of punctuation as well (especially quotes; it drives editors crazy)

Finally, once you hone your craft, get a good idea and a good story, you have to shop it around. Most publishing houses get millions of stories that accumulate in big 'slush' piles, and low man on the totem pole usually gets inflicted with going through them.

It's actually like rock 'n roll songwriting; a lot of houses won't even accept unsolicited output (i.e., if they don't ask you for something, they don't want it) for legal and other reasons.

Try getting your work into local venues first; magazines, papers, web sites, etc. Get noticed. Toot your horn, develop a following. Eventually word gets out to the trades, and then they'll approach you.

Good luck

music_for_airports
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Oct 2008, 9:25 pm

Take a look on your book shelves at the books you like which reflect your own writing genre/style. They have the publisher's contact details inside. From there it's a simple task of either writing or calling and asking if they accept unsolicited submissions, and how to go about submitting something for publication. Make sure to actually talk to someone at the publishing company since their websites may not have accurate information. Receptionists always like to feel important, so don't hesitate to ask them direct questions about the best way to get your work seen by someone who can publish it, they'll likely be flattered that you're considering their input.

N.B. An unsolicited submission is a submission that comes directly from the writer and not through an agent. I can't be sure, but there is a chance that many publishers will not accept unsolicited submissions due to legal reasons; when your work goes through an agent, the agent also acts as witness to your intellectual property, which safeguards against any lawsuits. This is more applicable to movie studios who commission screenplays, but the same logic might extend to book publishers. This is also good reason to deal only with reputable publishers, as I have read of many dishonest publishers even publishing books using excerpts of submissions without the writer's consent.

If you genuinely have something to sell and want a career in writing you should look for an agent who will guide you through the future minefield of dealing with the big business of publishing. You find an agent the same way you would a plumber — Yellow Pages or online or word of mouth.

Even if the publisher does not specify, make sure your submission is in DOUBLE-SPACED COURIER 12 pt. Each page should then work out to about 250 words. There are many websites around with specific details about formatting a submission for consideration, and these will undoubtedly be more help than I.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2008, 10:21 am

My brother-in-law decided one day to write movie scripts, and he wrote several. He convinced me to sign up as a literary agent with the Screen Writers Guild, to be able to submit his scripts to movie companies. Then, I ended up getting about 4 or 5 pitches for movie scripts every day from other people who had also written movie scripts. I didn't know what to do with them all--I had no personal connections with any movie producers, and, even if I did, no-one could ever produce all of the movies from the screenplays I was sent. I didn't even have time to respond to all of the people who were sending me their work.

Only a very tiny fraction of screenplays ever get turned into movies. I suspect that only a very tiny fraction of books ever written actually end up getting published. Then, a tiny fraction of these end up making any money.

I've published a lot of scientific stuff:

http://losinger.110mb.com/Publications.htm

I never got paid for any of it, but it did help to make my resume stand out a little bit.

Souldragon
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 Oct 2008, 6:51 pm

Thanks, Synth. I will try to get one of the chapters from my stories on here so you can read it and give me feed back.

To paklad, thank you for your response. Do you have any suggestions on how to get my work into public magazines or newspapers? Have you had any expereince doing that?

NocturnalQuilter
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2008, 3:55 pm

I shall be paying attention to this thread. I am a columnist for a local magazine. I write a regular column on entertaining & food. I usually top out at around 2400 words per published piece. I've recently been wondering about taking my articles and building a book of my own. Kinda like Martha Stewart meets Chris from Family Guy. Glad to see this topic.

caramateo
Toucan
Toucan

10 Oct 2008, 3:20 pm

As fas as I know, it cost too much to self publish. Some people begin publishing their stories online. If you do this, go get your work copyrighted first.
There's an aspie in the UK that managed to get published a few years ago. his name is Will Hadcroft
he wrotethis book:

Anne Droyd And Century Lodge

and another book on living with aspergers.

Sorry, I don't know how to contact him.
I'm not sure, but I think he used to submit his" Dr. Who" stories to the BBC and that's how became known by others.

Souldragon
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Oct 2008, 8:12 pm

Sorry for not replying so soon. Didn't know if anyone was still viewing this post. Would anyone still be interested in reading a chapter from one of my fantasy dragon stories?

AJGeni
Raven
Raven

13 Oct 2008, 6:23 am

Iv been thinking about writting.
The idea of doing it proffesionally seams awasome. work at you own pace. sleep when you want. Travel around to get ideas, even write while your traveling. It all seems a perfect job for an asbie.

Getting there though would obviously be tough, looking at all these posts make it look imposible. Iv had an idea for a siries of books that i think is a pretty good idea. I dont have anything written so far just ideas and story lines together. But i have to be in the right mood, if im stressed i have so no imagination.

I guess i like to keep that as a dream gateway, get that done and sell it then i can aford to quit work and start it propperly.