Page 5 of 6 [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

lostD
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2010, 1:10 pm

Comorbidity does not make a disorder easier to deal with or there would not be the word "morbid" in it.

lasirena
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Oct 2010, 6:39 pm

[quote="Brittany2907"]Sometimes I wish I was a narcissist because at least then I'd like myself.

Actually narcissists don't like themselfs, at least not always. They seem, from my experience, to have a desperately fragile ego. Needing, therefore, to have the world constantly mirror that they are liked, admired etc. otherwise their mood and self-esteem come crashing down.

ADD_Teen
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Oct 2010, 5:08 am

mgran wrote:
Actually, having read your posts, I can see why you think it would be a break to suffer from something other than pure depression. But it would simply complicate your life beyond measure.

How much help do you have in the real world for your depression?

I just got some SSRI meds & a psychologist. About 2 weeks ago.

Obsession: Neuro-psychology, my boyfriend, neurology (stopped denying it).
Illy, I love you. :heart:

Rainbow68
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Oct 2010, 5:31 am

Give me the NT-syndrome that'll compensate a bit for ASS.
I then will get on with the remaining comorbiditys

Mercurial
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2010, 2:38 pm

Woodpecker wrote:
be careful what you wish for !

I one heard a NT complain and wish that they had a super photographic memory, I told them to be careful what you wish for. You could end up with a photographic memory packed with rubbish (childrens cartoons) and nasty things such as breaking up with your partner.

Vivid memories of painful and traumatic things is typical of human memory in general. It's an evolutionary imperative for our brains to vividly recall things that us hurt. But it can be heighten if you have a pre-existing anxiety disorder, like PTSD, or if the experience was traumatic enough to induce PTSD.

I have PTSD, so I know what I'm talking about here.

I also have eidetic or "photographic" memory. Eidetic memory isn't about having good long-term memory--these are two different things. Actually my long-term memory kind of sucks, like most people with eidetic memory. Eidetic memory is about how you brain intakes information in abundant amounts at one time and arranges it in your short-term memory in a more linear way than other people, so you can recall it back in a seemingly "photographic" way. But the amount that gets stores into long-term memory after that is about the same as any person without eidetic memory.

Lots of people can remember childhood experiences like cartoons in relatively precise details--I am not one of them. Because of eidetic memory, my brain is constantly trying to take in more information than it can store long-term, and consequently, as newer memories are formed, I can lose older ones, unless I make an effort to retain those memories. Much of my memories of childhood are a vague blur now, while my brother who doesn't have eidetic memory can still readily recall things like cartoons and TV shows both he and I watched regularly as kids. Yet give me a map and I can look at it a few minutes and be able to redraw it quite accurately for a short time afterward. But after about an 1 hour, especially if I'm doing other things, my detailed memory of the map will fade rapidly.

To be truthful, eidetic memory is kind of useless. It helped me a lot in school because I could cram a hour before a test and then ace the test, but in the "real" life it's more of a nuisance than anything. And that it contributes to the degradation of my long term memories doesn't help.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2010, 5:51 pm

ADD_Teen wrote:
mgran wrote:
Actually, having read your posts, I can see why you think it would be a break to suffer from something other than pure depression. But it would simply complicate your life beyond measure.

Give the meds time to work. It can take a few weeks before you start seeing results, but hopefully this will help pull you out of the doldrums.

ADD_Teen
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Nov 2010, 6:32 am

mgran wrote:
ADD_Teen wrote:
mgran wrote:

Give the meds time to work. It can take a few weeks before you start seeing results, but hopefully this will help pull you out of the doldrums.

I will. My psychiatrist also asked me to wait and to avoid self-injury.

Obsession: Neuro-psychology, my boyfriend, neurology (stopped denying it).
Illy, I love you. :heart:

slave
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2012, 2:15 pm

Bump :P

I wish I had histrionic personality disorder because then, for once in my life, I would be "lively, dramatic, vivacious, enthusiastic, and flirtatious". :wink:

slave
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2012, 2:35 pm

Nomaken wrote:
I want Synesthesia.
And i want sneezing to cause a spontaneous orgasm.
And i kind of want schizophrenia. But not the paranoid kind.

LMFAO!! !! !! !! !!

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2012, 1:06 am

I couldn't imagine being anything other than me as I am, to be honest. If you added or subtracted disorders then I would no longer be the same person, so it's sort of like wishing oneself out of existence.

Many people on here are outraged people would wish another disorder on themselves, especially bipolar. I don't feel outraged by this as people have a natural sense of curiosity, and bipolar does have a lot of grey areas in that for some people it can bring with it special talents/abilities they may not have had otherwise (a.k.a. in my case the intensity of the emotion I feel every day is often reflected in my creative work to my advantage), however the price is high, very high, I can't say if it is too high because again I see the bipolar as fundamentally a part of myself so without it I would cease to be - not so much a choice. I don't truly wish to be someone else no matter how bad my life gets or even at my lowest points, I only wish to be me as that is all I am and I cling to that as a sort of final defiance or last stand.

I also think it's pretty much impossible for anyone without bipolar to truly understand the ramifications of mania/hypo-mania (yes, hypomania too, I've screwed myself over big time due to periods of hypomania in many ways) so I understand why they may covert that state.

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2012, 11:17 am

As offensive as this topic is I can relate to it. Lately in the past month I've had this intrusive desire to have another disorder. On an emotional and irrational level I have an overwhelming desire to have a psychotic disorder such as schizophrenia. In a more logical way I know I shouldn't want it but that doesn't make the emotional desire any less intense.

I wanted it so badly that I started depriving myself of sleep but when I accidently fell asleep on the couch downstairs trying to stay up my parents caught me.

I tried crushing up my brother's ritalin and snorting it through my nose the same way people do with cocaine but after testing the waters with one crushed up pill my parents found out and put a lock on the medicine cupboard.

I knew it wasn't going to work I just wanted a psychotic illness so badly that I was willing to try anything. If I stayed up long enough without falling asleep I would have at least gotten temporary symptoms and enough ritalin would have done that too but it wouldn't be permanent like I wanted it to be.

So yeah, psycosis is on my comorbid wishlist and I'm sorry if this post offends anyone it's just the way I feel.

Kairi96
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Dec 2012, 2:13 pm

I have Tourette's and Asperger's, people (even experts) say I show a lot of bipolar, shizophrenic, alexythemic and OCD traits, I am extremely paranoid and anxious, and NO, I don't want any other mental disorder, thank you. I also have synethesia, but that's not a real problem.

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2012, 5:16 pm

seaturtleisland wrote:
As offensive as this topic is I can relate to it. Lately in the past month I've had this intrusive desire to have another disorder. On an emotional and irrational level I have an overwhelming desire to have a psychotic disorder such as schizophrenia. In a more logical way I know I shouldn't want it but that doesn't make the emotional desire any less intense.

I wanted it so badly that I started depriving myself of sleep but when I accidently fell asleep on the couch downstairs trying to stay up my parents caught me.

I tried crushing up my brother's ritalin and snorting it through my nose the same way people do with cocaine but after testing the waters with one crushed up pill my parents found out and put a lock on the medicine cupboard.

I knew it wasn't going to work I just wanted a psychotic illness so badly that I was willing to try anything. If I stayed up long enough without falling asleep I would have at least gotten temporary symptoms and enough ritalin would have done that too but it wouldn't be permanent like I wanted it to be.

So yeah, psycosis is on my comorbid wishlist and I'm sorry if this post offends anyone it's just the way I feel.

! ! O_O Snorting ritalin = very bad idea. Is there some particular reason why you want a psychotic disorder - like do you suffer from self-destructive urges?

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2012, 9:54 pm

sunshower wrote:
seaturtleisland wrote:

! ! O_O Snorting ritalin = very bad idea. Is there some particular reason why you want a psychotic disorder - like do you suffer from self-destructive urges?

I have been suffering from self-destructive urges in the past few months since September. I'm not sure if that's the reason or the only reason I want a psychotic disorder. My feelings are complicated. I try to figure out my motivations behind the desire and I end up coming up with 4 or 5 different reasons I want a psychotic disorder and one or two seem to contradict the others. I'm having difficulty determining what my reasons are for wanting psychosis. A self-destructive urge could be one of them though. I've definitely been feeling that lately.

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 4:36 pm

Sorry, but that's a very bizarre thing to me. I understand wanting a diagnosis for something in order to get treatment, but surely you don't want to have another disability on top of your AS?

I have a history of anxiety and depression. I'd rather I didn't have to deal with that on top of the AS (though I guess they're related in my case).

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 8:43 pm

I don't even want the disorder I have right now...... :?

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)