Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2008, 4:04 am

I fit most of the criteria, and lived a life of crime, but, I am not even close to being a violent person. I'm about as laid-back as you can get. :)

Those who know, don't speak.

deathchibi
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2008, 5:05 am

Unknown_Quantity wrote:
When I was in high school my teachers and the school faculty treated me like I was going to become a serial killer... Of course they also believed I was possessed by the devil. Maybe there's a correlation between ASD and demonic possession.

did you know that some people performed exorcisims on people and they died, only to find out later that they were autistic and was having a meltdown at that particular moment in time. 8O

Anicho
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Oct 2008, 5:27 am

omg this expains me .... :O

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2008, 7:25 am

I fit the criteria too but the last thing I would ever do is kill someone. I despise people who kill other people. I consider them to be weak individuals, not strong enough to handle being a human. To me they are weak, disgusting and depraved. They cannot pass the tests in life. We are all stronger than we know.

One thing I find surprising about these profilers is they never question an individual's sense of ethics and morality. Like, what is someone's opinions on murderers, is it alright to kill another person, what kind of rationalizations are used to justify criminal behaviours of various kinds? Doesn't this tell you much more about an individual than some flimsy profile?

Kelsi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Oct 2008, 7:44 am

bunny-in-the-moon wrote:
I was diagnosed as an aspie when I was 14 and then when I was 19 I was diagnosed with "Personality Disorder NOS". Anyone else have any experience with this kind of comorbid diagnosis?

If they could not diagnose a specific type of personality disorder, then perhaps it is not a personality disorder at all. Sometimes people suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder can be mistakenly diagnosed with a personality disorder.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2008, 7:49 am

Kelsi wrote:
bunny-in-the-moon wrote:
I was diagnosed as an aspie when I was 14 and then when I was 19 I was diagnosed with "Personality Disorder NOS". Anyone else have any experience with this kind of comorbid diagnosis?

If they could not diagnose a specific type of personality disorder, then perhaps it is not a personality disorder at all. Sometimes people suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder can be mistakenly diagnosed with a personality disorder.

It may not be a personality disorder (mistakes can be made). However, if I got a diagnosis like that, I would conclude I have a personality disorder of some kind (meaning for whatever reason my personality varies from the norm, whatever the norm is) but I do not have enough traits to qualify for a specific disorder. Might have a small percentage of many traits, not enough to qualify for a specific diagnosis.

McCann_Can_Triple
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Oct 2008, 12:10 pm

* Inability to take criticism

* Unusual sensitivity to rejection which may form the basis for...

* Lack of language skills to resolve grudges, avoid conflict, etc

* Mood swings

* Fascination with violence in films and on TV* Angry outbursts

* Often described as a loner with few friends

* Often the target of bullying, taunting and teasing which those in authority fail to identify, fail to address, fail to put a stop to - but often collude with

* An unusually high degree of unwillingness to accept personal responsibility as an adult combined with a higher-than-average tendency to use blame

* Often a non-sporting type at school which also led to him being regarded as an outcast, perhaps being regarded as a "nerd" or "geek" because he found solace in, for example, using computers or studying art, literature, poetry or dance

* Unusually poor social skills and social behaviour as an adult

* Emotional immaturity

* An unusually fragile sense of self, often present from an early age and without obvious cause

* Possible "mental health problems" although these may be more a sign of long-term psychiatric injury

Those fit me.

When angry though I have no intention of harming othets... just myself or objects. I know better.

River: They say the snow on the roof is too heavy. They say the ceiling will cave in. His brains are in terrible danger. "

Hurley's mom "Jesus Christ is not a weapon."

zee
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2008, 4:32 pm

I fit most of them too, but I'd never kill either, I'm not even violent. In school people would always try to pick fights, and I hated it.

Don't most murderers have a history of violence, and/or animal abuse? I would think that would be a more significant symptom.

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2008, 4:46 pm

From what I have read, people with autistic traits are more likely to be victims than perpetrators.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2008, 5:50 pm

...the average human being fits those traits...

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2008, 6:50 pm

Many of these are probably true of any particular given person. What exactly are your sources? It seems these are a grab-bag of items that may not necessarily go together. At any rate, I've boldfaced the ones that apply to me.

geniuskid wrote:
Quote:
In each spree killing case, there are warning signs that go unheeded. These are, according to the FBI and my own research:

• Inability to take criticism
  • Unusual sensitivity to rejection which may form the basis for...
  • Holding one or more grudges which remain unresolved and grow over time
  • Lack of language skills to resolve grudges, avoid conflict, etc
  • Intolerance
  • Exaggerated sense of self-importance
  • Narcissism and attention-seeking behaviour
  • Nihilism (Are you referring to someone who takes the philosophical position that things are without inherent meaning, or are you referring to a depressive sense of hopelessness and meaninglessness?)
  • Mood swings
  • Inappropriate sense of humour (Who is defining inappropriate here? What exactly is meant? Is this meant as a euphemism for sexual, sexist, or racist humor?)
  • Drug and alcohol abuse
  • Fascination with violence in films and on TV
  • Angry outbursts
  • Obsession with weapons, usually guns, and excessive practising with firearms
  • Often described as a loner with few friends
  • Often the target of bullying, taunting and teasing which those in authority fail to identify, fail to address, fail to put a stop to (moreso when I was in elementary school and junior high school) - but often collude with
  • Sometimes an unusual relationship with his mother, perhaps through cocooning or smothering - what Samenow describes as "well-intentioned but maladjusted parenting", which leads to poorly-developed social skills, an unusually poor self-image and an impaired ability to function successfully as an individual (I suppose this could be said to be true since my mother was overprotective and sometimes still is, but people say that's how mothers are.)
  • An unusually high degree of unwillingness to accept personal responsibility as an adult combined with a higher-than-average tendency to use blame
  • An unusual relationship with either parent which may comprise lack of recognition, unmet needs, failure to meet parent's expectations, and constant undue criticism
  • Often a non-sporting type at school which also led to him being regarded as an outcast, perhaps being regarded as a "nerd" or "geek" because he found solace in, for example, using computers or studying art, literature, poetry or dance
  • A significant emotional event in childhood such as the loss of a parent or family breakdown which is still raw and unresolved
  • Unusually poor social skills and social behaviour as an adult (Slowly but surely, my social skills have been improving.)
  • Emotional immaturity
  • An unusually fragile sense of self, often present from an early age and without obvious cause
  • Possible "mental health problems" although these may be more a sign of long-term psychiatric injury
  • An increasing sense of isolation combined with increasing scapegoating or mobbing
  • At work, a growing suspicion that he's shortly going to be fired or made redundant or failed in some way

• The spree killing has been brewing for some time although no-one was sufficiently clued up to recognise the signs