Welcome to Holland... story of hope

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Ladysmokeater
Veteran
Veteran

Location: North of Atlanta, South of Boston, East of the Mississippi, and West of the Atlantic

19 Nov 2005, 11:12 pm

I hope no one is offended at this post. I tracked down this handout from one of my classes in college on special needs kids. I know I gave my mom and dad a dreadful time growing up, and it has lots to do with what we now know to be Asperger's.... She read this some time ago and liked it very much. She said there's alot of truth to it. Anyhow, This story is read at the begining of every Of Hopes and Dreams Family Connection conference, or so the paper says. I hope you enjoy it....
:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Emily Perl Kingsley wrote:
Welcome to Holland

I am often asked to describe the experience of raising a child with a disibility- to try to help people who have not shared that unique experience to understand it, to imagine how it would feel. Its like this.......

When you're going to have a baby, its like planning for a fabulous vacation trip- to Italy. You buy a bunch of guidebooks, and make wonderful plans. The coliseum, The Michelangel David. The gondolas in Venice. You may learn some handy phrases in Italian. Its all very exciting.

After months of eager anticipation, the day finally arrives. You pack your bags, and off you go. Several hours later the plane lands. The stewardess comes in and says. "Welcome to Holland."

"HOLLAND?!?" you say. "What do you mean Holland?? I signed up for Italy! I'm supposed to be in Italy. All my life I've dreamed of going to Italy."

But there's been a change in the flight plan. They've landed in Holland and there you must stay.

The important thing is that they haven't taken you to a horrible, disgusting, filthy place, full of pestilence, famine and disease. Its just a different place.

So you must go out and buy new guide books. And you must learn a whole new language. And you will meet a whole group of people you would have never met.

It's just a different place. It's slower-paced than Italy, less flashy than Italy. But after you've been there for a while and you catch your breath, you look around....and you began to notice Holland has windmills...Holland has tulips. Holland even has Rembrandts.

But everyone you know is busy and comming and going from Italy, and they're all bragging about whata wonderful time they have had there.

And for the rest of your life, you will say, "Yes, that's where I was supposed to go. That's what I had planned."

And the pain of that loss will never, ever, ever, ever go away.... because the loss of that dream is a very significant loss.

But.... If you spend your life mourning the fact that you didn't get to Italy, you may never be free to enjoy the very special, very lovely things..... about Holland.

By: Emily Perl Kingsley

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2005, 3:42 am

When my mother and father had me they never truly thought that they would have a son like me in the end. I looked normal seamed normal but in 2 1/2 years I would have seizures and be diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy. Then the adventure began with Me and my life. Life has its quirks that nobody can tell them. I myself have had to live with them they had to live with Me. My own parents where great in getting the help I needed that is what parenting is about in the end. I remember my mother doing many things to my legs and arms it is call physical therapy this has helped me be able to walk pretty good in my life. Though I can not do all that normal people can do in my life as many family members that they can. I would even in the end would even get diagnosed with AS much later in my life. This in the end has giving Me a understanding in My Life. Parent around the world try to do the best for their child or even children in the end and want the best for their child or children in the end. That is called living life and being apart of living life in the end for us all. For in the end I am glad that I have had the PARENTS I have had in My Life so much credit should go to them for what they have done for Me. For they have let Me be Me I let them be them. For that is what Life is about in the end isn't in the end for us all.

FOR THAT IS WHAT LOVE IS ALL ABOUT IN THE END FOR US ALL.

For I have been in Holland for more Years of My life than even I can say.

ster
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2005, 4:58 pm

i absolutely LOVE this article ! the first time i read it, i cried....the second time i read it, i cried.....
every time i read it , i cry. i truly feel that this article sums up so much of what parents with special needs kids feel.

beentheredonethat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2005, 8:24 pm

I hesitate to post this, but here goes anyway.

On the home page of this site, half way down, there is an article from a book called " Born on the Wrong Planet," by Erika Hammerschmidt. Hammerschmidt has Asperger's, Tourette's, ADD, ADHD, and some traces of OCD. It has a lot of very helpful (from a support) standpoint material for parents.

I hesitate to post this, because I am indirectly connected with the book, (no, I am not Erika Hammerschmidt) but as I've been reading posts here, these last few weeks, I want to tell you that many of the pieces in that book are what has kept me from absolutely killing my Aspi kid. (well, not really, but it has calmed me down when nothing else did).

The one that's up there now is called "Having a Reason," which is particularly helpful to parents who have kids who might act out in school. In December, there will be another one, and a couple of more after that.

It goes along with Ladysmokeater's post.

If Enjoy is the right word, enjoy.

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2005, 12:11 am

I heard this in class but were not Holland were more like Japan not worse/slower then Italy just alot different and alot harder to know what to do in.

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

Theyfan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Nov 2005, 8:22 am

That story on this thread I have read before but it seems problematic to me. If your child is clearly diagnosed with a clear Syndrome, and everyone can see it, it's fine, you're in Holland, but if your child doesn't get diagnosed for two years and then does even though you still feel the child is anything but a classic AS, you are not in Holland, but you're not in Italy either. :roll:

We need a new metaphor for the parents of borderline children! Hovering over the runway, perhaps?

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2005, 8:53 am

I think you were always in Holland, you just didnt know it.

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

Theyfan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Nov 2005, 1:48 pm

Endersdragon wrote:
I think you were always in Holland, you just didnt know it.

Well that's just too depressing to be useful to me.

CrabbyMomma
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Nov 2005, 2:21 pm

beentheredonethat wrote:
On the home page of this site, half way down, there is an article from a book called " Born on the Wrong Planet," by Erika Hammerschmidt. Hammerschmidt has Asperger's, Tourette's, ADD, ADHD, and some traces of OCD. It has a lot of very helpful (from a support) standpoint material for parents.

I cried when I read the article on the home page. I struggle all the time with knowing if I am doing the right thing and being sure that I'm not. It's so hard to parent intuitively (I'm a fan of attachment parenting) when you have 20 billion outsiders telling you what you should do and need to do and how you need to do it. My son does not make me crazy, my son is the joy of my life, it's all the outside pressures that make me (and him I am sure) nuts.

Theyfan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Nov 2005, 3:49 pm

Quote:
My son does not make me crazy, my son is the joy of my life, it's all the outside pressures that make me (and him I am sure) nuts.

I wholeheartedly agree. It is good to see I am not the only parent who thinks this.

My son's great and the world is a better place for having him in it. Wrong planet my backside. He's very much on the right planet, and thank God for that. :)

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2005, 10:34 am

There was a reproduction of this called "Holland Schmolland" that addressed life with an autistic child:

http://groups.msn.com/TheAutismHomePage/schmolland.msnw

momofanspie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Nov 2005, 11:02 am

Theyfan wrote:
Quote:
My son does not make me crazy, my son is the joy of my life, it's all the outside pressures that make me (and him I am sure) nuts.

I wholeheartedly agree. It is good to see I am not the only parent who thinks this.

My son's great and the world is a better place for having him in it. Wrong planet my backside. He's very much on the right planet, and thank God for that. :)

So true I love my son even when he does make me crazy too. I understand the poem's point of view I just wish society would understand it but there will be people that will always look at aspies as from the wrong planet and anyone else that does not conform to society like them.

Theyfan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Nov 2005, 12:05 pm

MishLuvsHer2Boys wrote:
There was a reproduction of this called "Holland Schmolland" that addressed life with an autistic child:

http://groups.msn.com/TheAutismHomePage/schmolland.msnw

Thanks for the link, MishLuvsher2boys, that was very funny and inspiring.

JsMom
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Nov 2005, 2:57 pm

We live in such a fast paced world that seems to move faster and more out of control every day. Everyone wants my son, J, to assimilate and behave as if he is some kind of precious princess girl when he is not! He's an aspie and a boy with so many wonderful skills and talents most of the boys his age wouldn't even dream of being able to think about or do half of what J can.

I remember my father had a difficult time fitting in with the "Joneses" in his adult life. He was a hippie throw back with a lot of bizarre ideas. He was always trying to invent something, anything to try to make his mark on this earth. Even though he was out of this world, he was one of the most dearest people to touch my life. Miss you Dad!

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2005, 3:07 pm

Thanks for the smile, J's Mom. Our kiddos are the ones that will be greatly missed.