WARNING PALIN DIASTER WARING PALIN DIASTER

Page 1 of 9 [ 139 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2008, 2:00 pm

Quote:
WASHINGTON - By claiming that Democrat Barack Obama is "palling around with terrorists" and doesn't see the U.S. like other Americans, vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin targeted key goals for a faltering campaign.

And though she may have scored a political hit each time, her attack was unsubstantiated and carried a racially tinged subtext that John McCain himself may come to regret.

First, Palin's attack shows that her energetic debate with rival Joe Biden may be just the beginning, not the end, of a sharpened role in the battle to win the presidency.

"Our opponent ... is someone who sees America, it seems, as being so imperfect, imperfect enough, that he's palling around with terrorists who would target their own country," Palin told a group of donors in Englewood, Colo. A deliberate attempt to smear Obama, McCain's ticket-mate echoed the line at three separate events Saturday.

"This is not a man who sees America like you and I see America," she said. "We see America as a force of good in this world. We see an America of exceptionalism."

Obama isn't above attacking McCain's character with loaded words, releasing an ad on Sunday that calls the Arizona Republican "erratic" — a hard-to miss suggestion that McCain's age, 71, might be an issue.

"Our financial system in turmoil," an announcer says in Obama's new ad. "And John McCain? Erratic in a crisis. Out of touch on the economy."

A harsh and plainly partisan judgment, certainly, but not on the level of suggesting that a fellow senator is un-American and even a friend of terrorists.

In her character attack, Palin questions Obama's association with William Ayers, a member of the Vietnam-era Weather Underground. Her reference was exaggerated at best if not outright false. No evidence shows they were "pals" or even close when they worked on community boards years ago and Ayers hosted a political event for Obama early in his career.

Obama, who was a child when the Weathermen were planting bombs, has denounced Ayers' radical views and actions.

With her criticism, Palin is taking on the running mate's traditional role of attacker, said Rich Galen, a Republican strategist.

"There appears to be a newfound sense of confidence in Sarah Palin as a candidate, given her performance the other night," Galen said. "I think that they are comfortable enough with her now that she's got the standing with the electorate to take off after Obama."

Second, Palin's incendiary charge draws media and voter attention away from the worsening economy. It also comes after McCain supported a pork-laden Wall Street bailout plan in spite of conservative anger and his own misgivings.

"It's a giant changing of the subject," said Jenny Backus, a Democratic strategist. "The problem is the messenger. If you want to start throwing fire bombs, you don't send out the fluffy bunny to do it. I think people don't take Sarah Palin seriously."

The larger purpose behind Palin's broadside is to reintroduce the question of Obama's associations. Millions of voters, many of them open to being swayed to one side or the other, are starting to pay attention to an election a month away.

For the McCain campaign, that makes Obama's ties to Ayers as well as convicted felon Antoin "Tony" Rezko and the controversial minister Jeremiah Wright ripe for renewed criticism. And Palin brings a fresh voice to the argument.

Effective character attacks have come earlier in campaigns. In June 1988, Republican George H.W. Bush criticized Democrat Michael Dukakis over the furlough granted to Willie Horton, a convicted murderer who then raped a woman and stabbed her companion. Related TV ads followed in September and October.

The Vietnam-era Swift Boat veterans who attacked Democrat John Kerry's war record started in the spring of 2004 and gained traction in late summer.

"The four weeks that are left are an eternity. There's plenty of time in the campaign," said Republican strategist Joe Gaylord. "I think it is a legitimate strategy to talk about Obama and to talk about his background and who he pals around with."

Palin's words avoid repulsing voters with overt racism. But is there another subtext for creating the false image of a black presidential nominee "palling around" with terrorists while assuring a predominantly white audience that he doesn't see their America?

In a post-Sept. 11 America, terrorists are envisioned as dark-skinned radical Muslims, not the homegrown anarchists of Ayers' day 40 years ago. With Obama a relative unknown when he began his campaign, the Internet hummed with false e-mails about ties to radical Islam of a foreign-born candidate.

Whether intended or not by the McCain campaign, portraying Obama as "not like us" is another potential appeal to racism. It suggests that the Hawaiian-born Christian is, at heart, un-American.

The fact is that when racism creeps into the discussion, it serves a purpose for McCain. As the fallout from Wright's sermons showed earlier this year, forcing Obama to abandon issues to talk about race leads to unresolved arguments about America's promise to treat all people equally.

John McCain occasionally says he looks back on decisions with regret. He has apologized for opposing a holiday to honor Martin Luther King Jr. He has apologized for refusing to call for the removal of a Confederate flag from South Carolina's Capitol.

We all expected her to mess up during the debate which she didn't do however it seems Palin is obsessed with shooting her ticket in the foot, I mean come on calling Obama a supporter of terrorism is a low blow even for politicians. Personally this blow is to low, I would prefer to be eaten alive by Siafu than to cast my vote for a ticket that can't show some restraint.

ja
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Oct 2008, 2:28 pm

I couldn't believe when Biden raged that there are hundreds of Madrasas popping up along the Pakistan border -- THESE ARE TERRORIST SPAWNING GROUNDS!!

(which presidential candidate was born to a muslim daddy and spent his formative years reciting the koran at a madrasa school?)

ja
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Oct 2008, 2:34 pm

philosopherBoi -- if you really want to read something racist then go read Michelle Obama's Princeton thesis

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2008, 2:45 pm

ja wrote:
I couldn't believe when Biden raged that there are hundreds of Madrasas popping up along the Pakistan border -- THESE ARE TERRORIST SPAWNING GROUNDS!!

(which presidential candidate was born to a muslim daddy and spent his formative years reciting the koran at a madrasa school?)

Ahh I see so because some anonymous person says that Oboma is a muslim then he must be one that makes so much sense. So I take it that your attacking Obama because you think he is a muslim or is it because he is half black? Which type of discrimination is your forte attacking someone because of their religion our attacking someone because of their skin color? Oh wait I figured it out because the republican ticket is suffering you feel the need to defend horrible comments made by Palin.

Now then I wish I b***h slap you right now, to paint the picture that all muslims are terrorist is horrible, many muslims are kind and gentle people like the rest of us. I lived with a muslim, and besides some minor conflicts with food we got a long pretty well for over a year then I moved back to my home town to be closer to my family. Anyways while I am sure some Madrasas have been infiltrated by radical muslim extremists I am very sure most are nothing more than schools.

Now please leave and take your one track mind and discriminatory thoughts with you.

ValMikeSmith
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2008, 3:15 pm

I was not aware that the Capitol building had been bombed,
when I heard that it had been bombed by a close friend of Obama.

Can someone tell me when the Capitol building was bombed and who did it?

ja
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Oct 2008, 3:23 pm

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.h ... A9679C8B63

"Now he has written a book, ''Fugitive Days'' (Beacon Press, September). Mr. Ayers, who is 56, calls it a memoir, somewhat coyly perhaps, since he also says some of it is fiction. He writes that he participated in the bombings of New York City Police Headquarters in 1970, of the Capitol building in 1971, the Pentagon in 1972."

This article was printed on 9/11/01

ja
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Oct 2008, 3:26 pm

http://tncwatch.com/2008/05/obamas-not-exactlys.html

"Obama's name is 'African Swahili'? - NOT EXACTLY, your name is Arabic and 'Baraka' (from which Barack came) means 'blessed' in that language. Hussein is also Arabic and so is Obama.

Barack Hussein Obama is not half black. If elected, he would be the first Arab-American President, not the first black President. Barack Hussein Obama is 50% Caucasian from his mother's side and 43.75% Arabic and 6.25% African Negro from his father's side. While Barack Hussein Obama's father was from Kenya , his father's family was mainly Arabs.. Barack Hussein Obama's father was only 12.5% African Negro and 87.5% Arab (his father's birth certificate even states he's Arab, not African Negro)..."

"I Never Practiced Islam - Obama -- NOT EXACTLY, you practiced it daily at school, where you were registered as a Muslim and kept that faith for 31 years, until your wife made you change, so you could run for office.

4-3-08 Article 'Obama was 'quite religious in islam'' http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=60559

8.) My School In Indonesia Was Christian - NOT EXACTLY, you were registered as Muslim there and got in trouble in Koranic Studies for making faces (check your own book).

February 28, 2008. Kristoff from the New York Times a year ago: Mr. Obama recalled the opening lines of the Arabic call to prayer, reciting them with a first-rate accent. In a remark that seemed delightfully uncalculated (it'll give Alabama voters heart attacks), Mr. Obama described the call to prayer as 'one of the prettiest sounds on Earth at sunset.' This is just one example of what Pamela is talking about when she says 'Obama's narrative is being altered, enhanced and manipulated to whitewash troubling facts.'

ja
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Oct 2008, 3:44 pm

Obama-ACORN Root Causes of Mortgage Crisis?

philosopherBoi -- ah yes, the unintended consequences of forcing lenders to give loans to borrowers based on their skin color, instead of the borrowers ability to pay back the loan...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community_Reinvestment_Act

Shocking Video Unearthed Democrats in their own words Covering up the Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac Scam that caused our Economic Crisis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MGT_cSi ... ader/view/

YOU HAVE TO WATCH THIS ! !! !! !! !! !! !! !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RZVw3no ... re=related

(& if you really want to do some digging -- go find out whose Chicago law firm SUED because they wanted MORE RISKY LOANS given to BAD RISK BORROWERS???! !!))

ja
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Oct 2008, 3:47 pm

Why is Obama ashamed of his muslim upbringing?

UncleBeer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2008, 3:56 pm

philosopherBoi: Care to come back and address any of the info "ja" has provided, or at least come back so you can eat some crow? :lol:

Zsazsa
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2008, 4:22 pm

Gov. Sarah Palin doesn't scare me too badly...there are plenty of incompetent people in the world. What frightens me are the hundreds of people who find her worthy of being a 'heartbeat' away from the Presidency!! !

jrknothead
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2008, 4:33 pm

ja wrote:
(& if you really want to do some digging -- go find out whose Chicago law firm SUED because they wanted MORE RISKY LOANS given to BAD RISK BORROWERS???! !!))

Actually snopes.com debunked this one today... http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/loans.asp

UncleBeer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2008, 4:40 pm

jrknothead wrote:
ja wrote:

Actually snopes.com debunked this one today... http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/loans.asp

And how exactly is that "debunked"? Obama worked for this law firm, and on this particular case.

ja
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Oct 2008, 4:44 pm

Do you think Obama showed 'good judgement' when he selected Jim Johnson, the CEO that ran Fannie Mae into the ground, to lead his VP selection committee;

or, regarding The Surge - was it good judgement when Obama said that 'I am not persuaded that 20,000 additional troops in Iraq is going to solve the sectarian violence there. In fact, I think it will do the reverse'?

Obama has recently done complete 180's on the following:

FISA
GITMO
Gun rights/DC gun ban
Public financing
illegal immigration
legalization of pot
Abortion
Iraq
The Mortgage Mess
Religion - (cling to guns // expand President Bush’s faith programs)
Flag Pin // Patriotism
Rev. Wright
NAFTA
welfare reform
gay marriage
The Cuba Embargo
single-pay healthcare
Jerusalem
meeting with Foreign Leaders
Palestinian elections
The 'threat' of Iran
The Patriot Act
Coal
The Surge
Offshore drilling
Wiretapping

The list is longer than his list of accomplishments.

Cyberman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2008, 4:45 pm

I don't get why people were so "impressed" with Palin during the debate. She sounded like some high school girl giving a class speech, not a "vice president" (let alone a PRESIDENT, should McCain die of old age while he's in office. 8O ) It was literally painful to watch her because she looked so fake. She talks about soccer moms and says "goshdarnit," and that's somehow supposed to convince me that she's willing to fight for the average American?? If that was her "not messing up," then God help the Republicans if she does. :roll:

cloudchaser
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Oct 2008, 4:50 pm

On the news in the UK they said Obama's acquaintance/confidant is a professor and the act of sabotage occurred in his youth when Obama was 8 or 9 years of age. It struck me that the McCain camp probably got the information from the secret services who have probably known about it for years.

Since several U.S. administrations (Repub and Democrat) funded Bin L. in his resistance to Soviet Rule in Afganistan it could be aargued that some politicians from both parties have in the past been friends or have supported the very worst terrorist of all.

I think capturing Bin L. and putting him on trial must be the priority. That madman is where this all started, that is where it will end - in what will probably be the trial of the 21st Century.