Veteran

05 Oct 2008, 4:51 pm

That's a good one.

Aalto
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Oct 2008, 5:03 pm

Haha, true.

T'thing is though, why are half the threads on this forum creationist-related when we may as well be discussing necromancy?

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2008, 11:48 pm

Correct me if I am wrong but isnt every theist whatever the type a creationist. I mean if you believe in god you at the very least believe god created the universe / caused it to come into being.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

chever
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2008, 11:52 pm

DentArthurDent wrote:
Correct me if I am wrong but isnt every theist whatever the type a creationist. I mean if you believe in god you at the very least believe god created the universe / caused it to come into being.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2008, 11:55 pm

^ very inventive and funny, now will you relieve my ignorance :D

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

chever
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2008, 12:09 am

In Mahayana Buddhism, there are figures and ... I guess ... concepts that even Westerners could consider deities like our own. However, to the best of my knowledge, there is no creator God in any kind of Buddhism.

In fact, belief in the metaphysical does not imply belief in any kind of 'god'.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2008, 12:24 am

Ok would you agree that people who believe in a the Judeo/Christian/Muslim style of god must all be creationists

chever
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2008, 12:40 am

Well, yeah, maybe, but that's only Abrahamic faiths.

However, some unusually liberal doctrines of Christianity do not include God as a creator, IIRC.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2008, 2:52 am

DentArthurDent wrote:

Strictly speaking yes, but that is a far broader definition of "creationist" than is actually relevant to most discussions. When people say "creationist" they typically refer to anti-evolutionists and Young-Earth Creationists. In modern times, most denominations either endorse some form of theistic evolution (Catholicism) or asserts that God created the universe but remains agnostic as to the precise mechanism of the origin of life, which allows an evolutionary outlook.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2008, 7:05 am

So would you agree that if you believe that the bible is the word of god all of it must be the word of god including genesis (which as far a I remember is not put down as a parable), leaving no room for evolution of any sort.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2008, 7:25 am

Perhaps Christians and Jews assume God created the universe and some of them may permit evolution as part of God's processes but so what? The problems with religion are far more extensive than how the universe came about. You may be able to indicate they are gullible and silly but that certainly is no way to make them think any deeper about the inconsistencies of their beliefs. You just piss them off.

chever
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2008, 8:54 am

LOL

I can hardly believe you're really octogenarian to have said something like that

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2008, 9:07 am

Orwell wrote:
DentArthurDent wrote:

Strictly speaking yes, but that is a far broader definition of "creationist" than is actually relevant to most discussions. When people say "creationist" they typically refer to anti-evolutionists and Young-Earth Creationists. In modern times, most denominations either endorse some form of theistic evolution (Catholicism) or asserts that God created the universe but remains agnostic as to the precise mechanism of the origin of life, which allows an evolutionary outlook.

It's not only a Catholic thing to endorse theistic evolution. Protestants in Germany also endorsed this view.

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2008, 3:36 pm

Sand wrote:
You may be able to indicate they are gullible and silly but that certainly is no way to make them think any deeper about the inconsistencies of their beliefs. You just piss them off.

So whats the answer

chever
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2008, 5:09 pm

Obviously